cp_boomtown_a6 download for tonight

The Mighty Gerbil

Tribe of Judah TF 2 Chapter Leader & CGA Admin
Staff member
I checked Valve's mapping program this morning and it worked, mostly. It didn't Saturday so Valve must of pushed out an update but doesn't announce updates on betas. At any rate YAY TY Valve!
I fixed the spawn collision issue and outputted a new version of Boomtown so, hopefully, it will be playable this time. I didn't have time to fix much of anything else so I've still to fix the lighting
and add/fix/adjust/finish tons of other issues.

Anyway for those interested in per-installing it before tonight a link is below. After Steampipe you are supposed to put custom maps in a different folder \Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\download\maps . You may have to create the "map" folder as I cannot remember if it was present prior to me downloading my first custom map after Steampipe. Also don't forget to extract the .bsp from the .bz2 file.

cp_boomtown_a6

With the exception of some generic textures (and for some people - missing models) I didn't see much wrong with the map. It's still a little confusing to me - but that is just because I haven't played it endlessly like other maps. Well done, Gerbil.

Just make sure to say it is an early alpha with known bugs.

Balance issues should be easy enough to address at least on the last point. The last point was a bit easy to take on previous alphas so it I made it tougher on this one. I just need to find a medium. It may also become easier as people learn the map. It was conceived to have the shorter routes be harder and provide little ammo/hp while rewarding the player for taking the longer flanking routes with position and/or hp/ammo. I'm not sure if all the routes will be ultimately viable but it was planned out that way.

I don't think we had a particularly hard time with the last point, I just think we never pushed together. We also didn't use Ubers. Ultimately, I think you would need a full server with people who knew the map to determine real balance issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms4dScH9_UU here is the video. I have a few other replays up there, but none as long as the Boomtown one.

Well if nothing else it let me in on another bug. Boomtown has it's own custom soundscape (ambient sounds) which I could not hear in your video. There should have been a lot of wind at the location you were sniping at. It works on mine so there must be some problem in how it's packed in the map file hmmm...

Back