Computers and bits

Thats cos dual proc machines are designed to handle the high end video editing market and that kinda thing...

Theyre not really designed for games.. Hence the 1337 price.

Yes, that or dual procs are good for handling anything where you're getting lots of requests or services or processes running at once, because you can literally handle more than one at a time. "Multitaskin" is nothing more than dividing one CPU's time equally among multiple tasks. It literally isn't possible for one CPU to do more than one thing at a time.

If games were programmed for dual proc yea it'd be awesome. But dual procs take on two completly different elements of the same task, like rendering two different frames of an animation for example, and aren't a cumulative effect. Mini-towers are fine for like a lan system or for people who have limited space or those with lil skinny girl arms and can't carry a manly case, ie morph. ;-) Shuttle cases beyond looks are still silly to me for serious gaming systems, cause serious gaming systems give off serious heat and that is only made worse when there's like no open space for air flow. I personally use one of the Antec SOHO server mid-towers, which imho is one of the better plain mid-towers, and unless the side-panels locked or screwed in for transport there's a handle you just grab and it swings open. Take that. ;-) Of course if a case is just uber-cool and quality it can be smaller, i.e. one of those nice expensive fancy aluminum Lian-Li ones. *drools*

-Trevor
-amusedtoe

Yeah the only reason I would get dual procs is if I'm making a system meant to be doing several things at once. What I'd like is dual xeons, dual radeon cards, dual monitors... see where I'm going? Two computers in one. I want to be chatting on one screen and playin a game on the other. I like dreaming.

I really want one of the spiffy new Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop. Those have such gorgeously beautiful screens. *drools*

-Trevor
-amusedtoe

lol some guy in the planetside forums said that having a dell is an instant loss of chance of getting into beta testing. So another guy posted after him that he got into beta and has a dell, and of course I had to respond saying I have a dell and my CD is on the way. Pre-built is good, say it with me. Pre-built is good.

If your ganna get a laptop, get an IBM. seriously, trust me.

Laptops = IBM
Desktops = anything you want, tho I prefer built by yourself. Cheaper, and you can say "I built that!" Nowadays you don't see people tinkering with cars or models as much as you used to. You can explain to your friends what its like to actually make something.

yah </rant>

Acctually the Inspiron 8500's have been like completly redone and are truly beasts for gaming, and their displays are by far the best you will find on laptops even though it is pricey to get all that stuff. :)

-Trevor
-amusedtoe

Yes, it's starting to be a little better days for bre-builts. It wasn't always though. Companies like IBM gave them a bad reputation in the old days...eesh, I remember the P-133 my friend had...horrible.

Are LCD and flat monitors any good for gaming? I've heard in the past that CRT's were much better, but it's been a while since I've heard anything new. I kinda hate toting around my huge monitor when going to LAN parties.

Personally i have had bad experience with LCD.. I would always stick to CRT if i could even though they are huge...

The Mitsubishi diamond pros are a good size for CRT.. im getting a 19" with my new computer.... w00ty

Spec for those that are intetrested.. just gotta wait for the money to come...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]AMD Athlon "Barton" XP3000+ 333FSB - Retail (Socket A) CPU
Asus A7N8X Deluxe nForce2 (Socket A) Motherboard  
Western Digital Caviar 120GB Special Edition 8MB Cache - OEM
Teac 3.5" Black Floppy Disk Drive - OEM  
Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200 TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2
Samsung SM348 BEAB 48x24x48x16x CDRW/DVD Combi (Black) - OEM Region Free
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Ultima Edition 128MB DDR DVI/TV (AGP) - Retail  
Thermalright SLK-900 (Socket 478 & Socket A)
Delta 80mm Fan (EHE)
Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB BK 19" - Black
Coolermaster ATC-201B-BXT "Black Widow" Case (No PSU)
Akasa AK-172 12" Cold Cathode - Blue
Enermax EG651P-VE 550W ATX Power Supply
Logitech Internet Navigator™ Keyboard Special Edition - Black
Logitech MX-700 Cordless Optical Mouse
Logitech Z-640 5.1 Speakers - 51 Watts
Windows Xp pro OEM
Arctic Silver III Thermal Compound (3g)

Im still considering whether to get neon ATA and floppy cables... i think i will.... heheh

I'm happy for you
smile.gif
..... nice Corsair modules...

LCD's are getting way better but to get one that, at least in my eyes is acceptable for gaming your going to have to shell out a couple grand. I say wait a couple years when you can get a 19" or bigger flatscreen CRT for a mere pitence and of quality greater then the majority of LCDs. Agreed though I wouldn't want to carry this beast around if I went LANing a lot, but the price:performance of LCD's just doesn't make them a justifiable purchase when for the quality of a decent CRT, you could replace your whole computer.

-Trevor
-amusedtoe

I saw a 40" flat monitor that weighed in at 200+lbs
sad.gif

But seriously, I'm either going dual monitor or PC with laptop on side. But either way, I want to go LCD because of how light and small they are. I was looking at some today at best buy. Had up to 21" LCD's. But really, I only need 17-19". If I go dual monitor, one might be only 15". It'd probably be cheaper to go dual monitor, but then I'd want to get a new system and get dual proc's for true multitasking.

OMG, at Dell site... customizing a laptop... I can put 2GB of RAM into it... ? Total price of $6.6k though
sad.gif
Half is RAM.

I have the KDS RAD-5 15" LCD now (BTW, I've got my new computer too :-D!) and it's been excellent for gaming. I see no difference whatsoever between it and a CRT. Make sure you get a good LCD, and you'll be fine. I recommend the one I got very highly. Very sharp, fine picture.

Haven't been around much lately, been too busy playing around on my new system. I must say, it's nice to have a decently-decked out box again. Now that I've gotten a good bit of the gaming out of my system...almost...it's time to get some work done...after another Q3A match.

That's what I said you gotta go for quality. This pretty much means Sony, and the price performance ratio still doesn't justifty it over a comparable CRT unless you have to hold your monitor on your lap. They're the future of displays and it's soon, but it's not yet.

plus, LCDs tend to die slowly... dead pixels... ugh... and you can't get them replaced easily, because they tell you "it happens, deal with it"

plus, quick FPS is bad with LCDs... ghosting occurs quite a bit.

Not true. I can attest to that for this monitor anyway.

Yes, I know of the LCD's you're referring to. They still make the crappy ones for compact playstation and xbox sets. I was disappointed to see those.

I don't think I could handle going from 19" of graphical goodness to 15" of possible ghosting and other nasty problems just to keep the weight down when I travel
sad.gif

I think I'm going to hold off just a tad longer on LCD flat screens. They are getting much better, but it's midway right now and I want to wait till they are much better.

Back