Comp. Language help

Zealot

I need a lil help with comp. languages.. i dont know much about what i want to go into, I know I either wanna program or do security so if someone can give me the languages I'd need to know and a few good pieces of advice or sites to go to for help that'd be coolness...

The place to start is C++. I'm going to be taking a course on it in college next year. Everyone I've talked to has recommended it as a good starting point for programming.

C++ is not that hard...I found it the hardest to find and figure out my compiler.
tounge.gif

Whatever you do, stay away from COBOL.

Do you have an idea on what type of programming you want to do? For instance, I went to school and learned COBOL, C and C++ but at work I do web development and don't even touch those languages. Instead I write using VBScript, JavaScript, SQL, Cold Fusion, PHP and ASP. I think you will find most schools teach C++ as the core and usually extend to another language like Java, COBOL or Visual Basic just to name a few. The neat thing is that a lot of the languages share syntax and functionality so the learning curve is lessoned when picking up a new language.

If you want to use the language that a lot of applications are written in, then C++ is the way to go. The original quake was written in C++.

If you want to use a language that can easily be ported between different applications, then Java is the way to go. http://java.sun.com/

If you just want to write applications in Windows, then Visual Basic is the way to go.

C++ is a good basis for most things, though a lot of schools are going to JAva as the core language. and C# combines both of them

those are really good (plus there compilers are free)

but of course it depends on what you want to do.

i wanna either go into networking security, computer security, or just software design (polar opposites gg)

for network security, focus more on networks and hardware. for prog. classes take c/c++ and get in some perl as well

for comp security, c/c++ and java are fundamentals. And don't forget everyone's favorite assembly

for gen. software engineering. again c/c++ but this time go with some VB and at least one web scripting language (asp.net, php, jsp, or coldfusion)

now if someone can give me some links to a couple of good compilers for me to start out on (please not borland) then you would be ub3r =D

I take that back, assembly is the devil, COBOL is just one of it subordinate demons.

If you have access to a Unix/Linux box, there are usually several compilers available to you from the command line like g and others.

You can get Java related SDKs at http://java.sun.com

For C# you can get a command line compiler for windows by downloading the .NET SDK from http://msdn.microsoft.com

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i wanna either go into networking security, computer security, or just software design (polar opposites gg)

Yeah or just polor opposites 24/7...I know where you live myles and if my comp gets one virus, firewall is broken or anything of the sort I will hunt you down! Ive set up a few trip wires today just to see if you try anything. (Loads 12gauge pump). You know Im not kidding, my comp, my life all innertwined. You mess with it you mess with me.

/me lays the smackdown on DeadAim's comp

compilers. most of the gnu compilers have a windows version, and you can get bloodshed's devC++ a nice IDE built to handle C++ in a visual environemnt

For Java, after downloading the sdk, there are a number of really great IDE's available.

assembly is free, and you should also be able to find a freee basic compiler (sry no vb tho). SmallTalk and Eiffel have free compilers as well.

I have yet to come across a COBOL compiler for free. COBOL isn't the devil or even a sub of the devil. it's a well organized though overly verbose language that met the needs of when it was designed. Tho it should be ported to vb or c++ now.

thx everyone.. i finally made the classic "hello world" thingy :\ so hopefully i can now figure out why the command prompt keeps closing ub3r quick.
wow.gif

are you using an actual dos window, or running from the run command?

if you're using the run command, then the program is executing and then the window closes.

open up a dos prompt window (start->run->type cmd ->hit enter ) and then use dos commands to find the file (a.out or whatever it's called) and run it there.

yeh computer language.. i wanna learn them badly so i can get to know Linux better :p

O and happy bday Que pasa
biggrin.gif

Back