Come on baby run Linspire!

Even if I believe Linux has a long, long way to go before they can compete with Microsoft in the home market, I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed that Flash animation.

And yes, monopolies DO take prices higher. -_-

You don't get a monopoly by peddling an inferior product, though ;). Windows might have its warts, but aside from MacOS 10.2, there isn't another OS out there that can really compete with it in the user friendliness department. Probably somewhere between 70 and 80 percent of computer users are not geeks. Nongeeks only want their computers to work without having to learn much about them. These days, I just want my computer to work without having to mess with configuration files and tweaking drivers. I've taken my lumps. I've worked in IT for almost 10 years, and can remember Windows when it wasn't even an OS (most people referred to it as a virus back then
tounge.gif
). That's right, kiddies, back in the day when the command prompt wasn't another way to get something done -- it was the only way.

Sometimes I pine for those days...days when you felt elite because you could even use a computer. These days, any boob can throw a pc together and get it to run, if they have the inclination. When was the last time anybody had to use DIP switches to configure an expansion card? I certainly can't recall the last time I did, and I'm not crying over it. I've used Linux fairly extensively, during my matriculation at Mars Hill College as a C.S. major, for programming work. I can honestly say that the only thing I find appealing about any current iteration is the extra geekiness points attributed to Linux users. I miss feeling elite and superior sometimes, like I can do something most people can't. Then I remember all the time I've spent trying to make a computer work, in old Windows and new Linux. Time I could have spent playing games or doing anything that did not involve pulling out my hair and gnashing my teeth.

*old man voice*
You kids don't know how good you have it. When I was your age the only online games we had were Legend of the Red Dragon and other text based RPGs, none of which were massively multiplayer. To play, you had dial up a BBS with your modem (and if you were lucky, your parents dished out the big bucks for a 14.4 Baud modem).
*/old man voice*

smile.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Also, I won't be able to run any programs or games on it except for what's already offered - which isn't much.  Besides, I like Microsoft Word.  I wouldn't mind supporting another OS but it just seems like a cheap rehash of Microsoft, just with a more stable coding.  Afterall, everything looks the same.

Now, if Blizzard made an operating system, well, that would be an entirely different story.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Now, if Blizzard made an operating system, well, that would be an entirely different story.

Haha. If its like any of their games, there would be big delays in its release and some kid somewhere will be crying about how the media player is unbalanced when running the word processor
smile.gif
. Everybody would want to know the latest cheese in running database applications. And before you know it, there would be secret runewords to unlock new utilities, but only available on the multiuser platforms.

Back