Christian Gamer's Guild

Stormfury

Hey guys! How is it going? I'm the webmaster of www.christian-gaming.com. One of your members pointed out your website and so I figured I'd drop on by. If you like, feel free to check out www.christian-gaming.com. Basically, we offer forums for fellow Christian gamers to congregate, pretty much like this one. Anyway, I'm happy to be a part of your group! :)

-Stormfury

What do you guys think the best way to promote the CGG is? I've been contacting local churches to see if they'd put it on their bulletin boards or in their newsletters, but so far, have been getting a luke warm response. I suspect that this is partly due to all the garbage about video game violence in the news and lame people who blame their crimes on the games they played. This obviously puts gaming in a bad, non-Christian, light from the get go to people who are not gamers. It is hard to explain to them. Basically, I've just been saying that there is a lot of garbage on the internet, and I'm trying to provide a family oriented environment for gamers to gather.

So, I'm not really sure there is much more I can do on the local end of things. Just curious what you guys think. I'd really like for my website to take off, I have only 3 months of hosting purchased, and if it doesn't take off at least somewhat within that 3 month time period, I think I'll just let it die.

What do you think?

well, *sigh*, I don't know what to do. I was the target of script kiddies again and had to restore my database...I don't have any members yet....I'm just getting discouraged by two things: A). Lack of interest....B). anti-Christian hate and bigotry on the internet.

The two combined are making me awfully tired of this. I'm about ready to delete it all and not look back. I don't need these sorts of headaches in my life when they can be avoided.

I had to restrict access to joining to be approved by me first, thanks to these ever so kind Script Kiddies spamming my memberlist with over 600 fake memberships. Hackers are so lame.

I think I'll just let my account expire in 3 months and not renew. :(

Last edited:
thank you for the advice! I will certainly look into these alternative methods of forum hosting. But you're right, maybe this isn't where God needs me. If I'm faced with roadblock after roadblock, it could very well be a sign.

I think I'll go with vBulletin, cause I certainly like the way your forum works :)

Not to be a copycat or anything lol.

But you're right about the security of phpbb. I'm fed up with script kiddies and oh man, if I can find something that is a lot more secure, I'll pay for it.

This is assuming of course, I go ahead with my endeavour. Which, is up in the air, right now.

Last edited:
Actually, now that I think of it, I think you guys are doing what I already sought to do, only on a much larger scale. I mean yeah, it's nice to have your own website to tinker with and whatnot, but for Christian fellowship, I think you guys pretty much have everything covered. So, I think I'll just direct people to the CGA from now on :)

-Stormfury

Stormfury said:
Actually, now that I think of it, I think you guys are doing what I already sought to do, only on a much larger scale. I mean yeah, it's nice to have your own website to tinker with and whatnot, but for Christian fellowship, I think you guys pretty much have everything covered. So, I think I'll just direct people to the CGA from now on :)
First, Stormfury, I'd like to welcome you to the CGA forums. :)

Secondly, I'd encourage you to seek the Lord before surrendering your endeavor. You might think of a way to benefit Christian gamers that we haven't explored yet. Maybe you're inclined to start a Christian clan for a game for which there are no such clans yet. If you do start such a site or gaming group, then please be sure to consider affiliation with the Christian Gamers Alliance.

If you decide to shut down your site but still want to serve the Christian gaming community, I'm sure I could find a staff position for you somewhere in the Alliance. If there isn't a staff position that suits you, we can make one. :)

Tek7 said:
First, Stormfury, I'd like to welcome you to the CGA forums. :)

Secondly, I'd encourage you to seek the Lord before surrendering your endeavor. You might think of a way to benefit Christian gamers that we haven't explored yet. Maybe you're inclined to start a Christian clan for a game for which there are no such clans yet. If you do start such a site or gaming group, then please be sure to consider affiliation with the Christian Gamers Alliance.

If you decide to shut down your site but still want to serve the Christian gaming community, I'm sure I could find a staff position for you somewhere in the Alliance. If there isn't a staff position that suits you, we can make one. :)

wow! that is really cool. I guess maybe its best I just ride things out for the time being, see how they go. Pray about it some, then maybe I'll find an answer. I still have 3 months left on my hosting (picked 3 months so I could "trial" test my community before making a deeper commitment) so things may change then. Dunno. At any rate, I just want to help the Christian gaming community. :)

hescominsoon said:
most times when you get roadblock after roadblock it's the enemy..not GOod. Take it to the lord in prayer and see if the roadblocks are the enemy..:)

True. This is very true.

I have found that to be true too. Often times it will seem like God is saying "No", but it's really just Satan trying to discourage you. Before mission trips, I always feel like I'm going to die, or that there's just some reason I shouldn't go, but it always turns out to be just Satan tricking me. Man, that guy bugs the ever living heck out of me :).

Hi Stormfury

Welcome to CGA (and to RD since I saw you post in there too :) ) My advice to you on this is to search your heart and know ultimately who you are working for. One of the best lines from a movie, IMO, applies pretty well here. "Are you doing it for His glory or for yours?"

If you are seeking man's approval, it will be hard to find. But, if you are working for Him, aahhhh, the wonderous blessing that are layed up for you. Sometimes the path can be lonely, long and tedious, but I promise you, it is well worth the adventure.

May God continue to Bless You

Gen

Welcome Stormfury.

A word about the lukewarm response you got from local churches-- I recently heard an interview with the founder of Petra, the "original" contemporary Christian band. When they toured in their early days (back in the early '70's), pastors in the towns they played in would actually preach against them and organize protests opposing their concerts. They believed that rock music was a tool of Satan... which it can be in many cases.

I think that many old school churches and pastors probably feel the same way about gaming-- that it has led so many astray that there can be no redeeming value to it. To counter that, I would point to this ministry. People have been encouraged, fellowship has been achieved, faith has been deepened, and I'm willing to bet that some people have even been saved as a result of CGA, ToJ, and the other groups here (and I'm firsthand witness to three of the four :D ).

Don't give up-- but I, like you, tried to start my own Christian gaming site, and it led me here, so maybe that's God's plan. The only way to know is to pray, and then follow.

Hello and welcome Stormfury. If you are still looking at changing BB software, I'd like to recommend YaBB or SMF. YaBB is a very nice BB that runs on Perl and SMF is a very similar BB that is PHP driven. Both are free, have great features and have excellent support from the community.

Back