Cataclysm Paladin Changes

I actually like the additions so far.

Healing hands I can see being useful in many situations. The healing from it will still apply to the beacon, which could be amazing in fights like Festergut, and in the flag room in pvp. Put the healer in with the warlocks and let them life tap to their hearts content, knowing that the AoE healing will go to the tank.

Blinding shield will give us another interrupt, and be fantastic for AoE tanking, while for healers it will be a handy blind for getting out of agro trouble, and give the tank a couple seconds to pick up the mob.

Guardians of Ancient Kings just sounds like for everyone! Give the healing spec a random battle rez when summoned and we have epicness!

Give the healing spec a random battle rez when summoned and we have epicness!

That was my idea you bum. I don't think it would ever happen, especially with a 3 min cooldown but it would be sweet.

IMO they still have a TON of work to do with Holy to put it in line with other healers being able to fill other roles than "Tank Healer". The Guardian of Ancient Kings (or GAnK) as it's being called already is a cool raid healing tool but it's on a longish cooldown. The healing hands (HH) spell would need to have a large radius to be effective at filling the AOE heal gap and even then it's going to be a weak AOE heal that is "Dumb" in its targeting. Judgement of Light is also an AOE heal that is dumb in its targeting and is fairly weak in comparison with other AOE heals (although extremely good over a long period for its mana cost). Beacon of Light is WAY up in the air right now and they have no idea what to do with it. There's plenty of potential to make it the AOE heal needed to fill that role. Really, there's a ton of different ways they could go right now, but HH is not the fix. On a side note... Doesn't the Healing Hands spell sound a lot more like... I don't know... a BEACON OF LIGHT? lol

Blinding Shield (BS) is not an interrupt for anything but lowly trash or PVP and it requires a shield (Yuck). We still need a reliable interrupt OFF of the GCD. Druids are getting one because...
"If a Feral cat is going to fill a very similar niche to that of a rogue, warrior or Enhancement shaman, it needs a few more tools -- primarily a reliable interrupt."
They still have yet to mention that Ret doesn't have a reliable interrupt.

For one, Pally's dont need a bubble for pvp, they wear plate, they have buffs and heals, they hit you hard as HE** already, and stun you.. Bubbles should be allowed in PVE for all specs.. and if they have to keep a bubble for pvp, then blizz should reduce it to an amount of damage just like the priest bubble.. and like the priest bubble, the pally bubble cant make them totally amune to everything.

As for the blinding light, will there be a warning a couple sec before it goes off,, if not there will be no way to defend, turn away from it..

Last edited:
For one, Pally's dont need a bubble for pvp, they wear plate, they have buffs and heals, they hit you hard as HE** already, and stun you.. Bubbles should be allowed in PVE for all specs.. and if they have to keep a bubble for pvp, then blizz should reduce it to an amount of damage just like the priest bubble.. and like the priest bubble, the pally bubble cant make them totally amune to everything.

As for the blinding light, will there be a warning a couple sec before it goes off,, if not there will be no way to defend, turn away from it..

Bubble is WAY overrated. If you've never tried to play a paladin in PVP then you have no idea it's value. I'd rather have a priest bubble actually, at least it isn't on a 5 min cool down and cause other defense/offense to not work (forbearance).

Is there some sort of warning for a rogues blind I don't know about? Is there a way to defend against it? The spell should be instant imo, and I'm sure the incapacitate won't be as long as the rogue version.

Edit: A quote from the Q&A with Blizz today.
Q. What information/ideas can you share on PvP utility in the Retribution tree? Mandatory gap closer/interrupt question. Not having a cleanse will hurt. :\
A. Retribution paladins will be getting an interrupt. :)

Last edited:
Pally bubble is an incredible tool, but they almost need all 12 seconds of it. Now, a pally in PvP like Dyin from <Final Ascension> doesn't, but they are the only pally I've ever fought I couldn't kill without them using any cooldowns.

I think lowering the time on it will be nice, because I DESPISE BUBBLE-HEARTH. But that said, I hope they don't nerf it into the floor, as they definately need that extra time to reset the fight. As most of you know, I'm a PvPer (even if I am only about average) and while fighting pallies, it's really annoying to get one almost dead and see bubble hearth pop up. That's my main problem with the bubble. Yes, I do hate paladins (not the player, the class) because they are one of my hard-counters. I occasionally complain about them... ok, I often complain about them, but I'll try and quit whining.

For the rogue blind, the difference is ours is usually predictable, and it's single target. Yours will be AoE, so there needs to be a warning, or less of a blind time. If it's instant cast and AoE, and it lasts 10 seconds, that will be an incredible tool of death and destruction and I will be jealous. :p

Me on Gnimish and Cammandus faced a duo Ret team in our 2s matches tonight, beside the annoyance of having to kill them twice due to double bubbles and healing themselves, we cleaned them up. Albeit in most matches where we face a Ret pally, we typically kill them last simply b/c they don't hurt us enough to matter. If you're looking at Ret's in Arenas they simply can't keep up w/ other PvP classes in my experiences at least. Which mine and Camm's team rating is only 1010 atm, so opponents and Ret ownage may change once we get higher.

Me on Gnimish and Cammandus faced a duo Ret team in our 2s matches tonight, beside the annoyance of having to kill them twice due to double bubbles and healing themselves, we cleaned them up. Albeit in most matches where we face a Ret pally, we typically kill them last simply b/c they don't hurt us enough to matter. If you're looking at Ret's in Arenas they simply can't keep up w/ other PvP classes in my experiences at least. Which mine and Camm's team rating is only 1010 atm, so opponents and Ret ownage may change once we get higher.

No, this is a pretty common experience with Ret. We don't have the tools needed to compete at a high level in arena. A Rogue, Mage, Priest team (RMP) is one of the most popular setups and Ret has no way of dealing with that much control. Our damage is fairly good but the lack of interrupt, CC, gap closer hurts. A mage can literally kite us around quite easily. They are a hard counter for us. Priests can fear you when you get close, or they are protecting their guys, and Rogues have a lot of control over when they engage or escape.

I haven't engaged in Arena since Wrath, but in the past it has felt like an exercise in futility. I'll take other Ret's word that it hasn't improved much.

For the rogue blind, the difference is ours is usually predictable, and it's single target. Yours will be AoE, so there needs to be a warning, or less of a blind time. If it's instant cast and AoE, and it lasts 10 seconds, that will be an incredible tool of death and destruction and I will be jealous. :p

I fully expect the blind time to be ~3 seconds, and you'll have to be facing the pally.

I wouldn't worry about blind, it is only instant for protection spec'd pallies and their spell power was nerfed when it was changed to use strength so you don't see them as much in pvp. You probably only see them now in BGs that require tanks/flag carriers.

Back