Book list

Manyik

We started talking about books on another thread and I thought "How about a thread all about books."

Here is the plan: list the book, books , or author + a general idea of the setting + why you liked it + any cautionary notes (like alot of romance or violent)

As Queen I am limiting everyone to 1 spam post per day on this thread

Maid you said you were listening to the audio book "Eregon". I just started the second book in that series "Eldest" I use it to bribe myself to clean the house (I can only listen while I am cleaning something)

So far I have really enjoyed all the adventure and strength of spirit in the struggle to resist evil. Not to mention the fun of reading about dragons. My favorite part is that it was written by a homeschooler,

My only cautionary note is some violence and a multiple god religion

http://www.alagaesia.com/christopherpaolini.htm
check out this webpage for more info

Kel Queen of all Europe

I just (Wednesday) finished reading The Last Battle by C.S.Lewis. I thought it was a wonderful wrap-up of the entire series (Narnia). The description of Alsan's country (heaven) at the end was very well done and left me wanting to hear more.

Warnings: As with all the Narnia books (which should be read before this one) there is some violence.

In a totally different direction, I have just started another book. I will post on it once I have gotten further into it to form more of an opinion. So far pretty good. One hint - It begins with a house.

Oh boy, think Dea and I will be posting a lot on this thread because we're both book addicts. :cool:

Oooooo, how to start? I'm not reading Aragon because I want to see the movie first. But anyway, here's a fantastic little book that I hope everyone would read if they haven't already: Flatland. It is very very short and can be read easily in a single evening, and every public library in America has a copy - so no excuses please! :p Seriously though, what's so great about it is that it shows how ridiculous it is for dimensionally-limited creatures (like ourselves) to insist that nothing can possibly exist in the universe except what we can physically observe, understand and measure with our own eyes, minds and tools. Teaches a lot about geometry too so it be edumacational! :D

Paul

DZwart said:
In a totally different direction, I have just started another book. I will post on it once I have gotten further into it to form more of an opinion. So far pretty good. One hint - It begins with a house.

Mmmmmmmmm... Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? :D

[spam limit reached]

Paul

Pretty obvious eh? I picked up a copy of "The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide" recently for $15 with all 5 novels plus "Young Zaphod Plays It Safe". I have never read them and with all the references to it flying around here, I figured it might be a good move.

Now where did I put my digital watch?

I've got about an hour left of Eragon; I've already loaded Eldest on my iPod!

I listen to audiobooks while I do stuff that won't let me read: knit/crochet, clean, whatever. Mainly, I read "the real thing." I just really enjoy the act of reading. (I have to say it's quite convenient having a husband working in the library. I email him the books I'm looking for and they show up at home!)

I'm reading The Silmarillion right now. (Bit by bit...) I'm enjoying it, but it takes some real attention to detail. It's amazing, though, to see the TRUE story of creation echoed in Tolkien's mythology of Middle Earth!

Another series I've really enjoyed is The Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan. I disagree with the ethics in some cases and with the concept of reincarnation, but I find it fascinating. The female characters are very well-written, and all the characters are well-developed. I particularly like the complex plot, with all its layers and mysteries.

i like

Demon in the Freezer
Persecution: How the liberals are persecuting christians
Peretti Books
The Bible

MaidMirawyn said:
(I have to say it's quite convenient having a husband working in the library. I email him the books I'm looking for and they show up at home!)

poor paul he works so hard and gets paid so little!

Yes but working in a library is a reward all by itself. I think that would be my dream job but I'm not sure how much work I would get done.

I have requested Flatland from my library already.

My family likes british humor so I have read and enjoy the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Still have a few to go.. should get back to them soon too. Paul thats not spam it was a relevent post. :)

If you like humor you might try the m.y.t.h. books. Here is a short discription.
In 1979, Asprin began to chronicle the comic adventures of Skeeve and Aahz in the "MythAdventures" series. These follow a demon who has lost his powers and his inept human apprentice as they travel through a variety of worlds in pursuit of wealth and glory. The Myth series is highly pun-driven.

It's fantisy rather than sci-fi but very funny
cautionary note: not much, some gambling and a under-dressed female
I read 1 whenever I feel blue :(

Kel Queen of all Europe

Have always enjoyed Hitchhikers... I also enjoyed Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Angency by Douglas Adams...though it is the only Dirk Gently I have read...
And The MYTH books are very funny, I thoroughly enjoyed them, if books had a rating they would probably be PG-13 though.

Manyik said:
If you like humor you might try the m.y.t.h. books. Here is a short discription.
In 1979, Asprin began to chronicle the comic adventures of Skeeve and Aahz in the "MythAdventures" series. These follow a demon who has lost his powers and his inept human apprentice as they travel through a variety of worlds in pursuit of wealth and glory. The Myth series is highly pun-driven.

It's fantisy rather than sci-fi but very funny
cautionary note: not much, some gambling and a under-dressed female
I read 1 whenever I feel blue :(

Kel Queen of all Europe
Uh, you're scaring me, Kel! I love those books! Skeev is such a refreshing character; I love the way he's always reminding his team of right and wrong! It's light reading, but never shallow.

And on this thread, I'll never NEED to spam! I have too much to say about great books!

I'm currently on the 3rd book of the Dune series by Frank Herbert, called Children of Dune. The first two, Dune and Dune Messiah I thoroughly enjoyed and I have the 4th 5th and 6th books too. After I finish them I plan on taking on the House Trilogy, then the Legends of Dune trilogy, both written by Frank's son Brian Herbert. I loved Dune and Dune Messiah because of the thick, twisting plot line in the first one, and the internal conflicts the main character struggles with in the second one. I enjoy books which go deep into a character's motives and motivations and struggles internally, it really helps bring the character to life to me, and I really get into the story.

cautonary note:there is quite a lot of violence in these books, knife fights and wars and such

My favorite books;

Inheritance Trilogy (thrid part isn't out yet)
Cautionary: Violence, Polytheism

Dragonlance Series
Cautionary: Violence, Polytheism

Alex Rider Series
Cautionary: Mild Violence

Jack Reacher Novels
Cautionary: Extreme Violence, Language, Adult Situations

Chirst Clone Trilogy
Cautionary: Intense Violence

JasonTheArgonaut said:
I'm currently on the 3rd book of the Dune series by Frank Herbert, called Children of Dune. The first two, Dune and Dune Messiah I thoroughly enjoyed and I have the 4th 5th and 6th books too. After I finish them I plan on taking on the House Trilogy, then the Legends of Dune trilogy, both written by Frank's son Brian Herbert.
Uh oh...one of Paul's favorites! I'm sure he'll have a lot to say.

As far as the two prequels: don't expect the same level of writing as the original books! Kevin J. Anderson is a good writer; I've read some of his other stuff. Brian Herbert, however, is...less than stellar, shall we say. I read them, but strictly for the background material. If not for Anderson, I doubt I could have made it through them. Paul couldn't.

And as for how much we love the original series: we've read each of the books several times each, except the last two. I've the Dune itself at least half a dozen times, and find new stuff every time. And that isn't light reading.

Last edited:
MaidMirawyn said:
I listen to audiobooks while I do stuff that won't let me read: knit/crochet, clean, whatever. Mainly, I read "the real thing."

Now you are starting to scare me! Look at this! www.halfknits.com A close friend an I run this group. If I let myself listen while I play with my yarn I would never stop. Right now I only play with my yarn whille watching TV, anytime I'm sitting waiting, and a couple of nights a month with the girls (oh yey and while I was fighting in pre before the skills were worth using). :D

dorkelf said:
I'm not reading Aragon because I want to see the movie first.
Paul

You want to see the movie first! Why would you want to do that?:eek:

I haven't read the dunes book yet but loved the scifi channels two mini-series. Have you seen them? Are they a good interpitation?

Now for my next recomendation how about the mystry writer Dick Francis

"Every year since 1962, Dick Francis has published another novel which demonstrates how a man should live. Fate, luck, thugs, or simply unfavorable circumstances knock his heroes down and it hurts. Momentarily rattled, they nonetheless stand up, grit their teeth, and move on. Scarred, but unbowed, never complaining. It's just another fall. No harm done."
from http://www.mysterynet.com/books/testimony/francis-horse-racing.shtml

I have alwaysed loved his books and not just for the horse :) Evey one is very thought provoking without being "leave the night light on" scary and all of his leading men are so brave and intelegent.

cationary: violance and romance

Kell Queen of all Europe

Last edited:
Alex Rider Series
Cautionary: Mild Violence

I've read those. Only the ending of the last book was stupid.

*SPOILER DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT IT SPOILED*
why did he have to get SHOT?!?!

Do you think that there'll be sequels for the rest of the books? hmmm

EDIT: That isn't at all what I pictured Alex to look like. But hey, that's Hollywood. (let's hope he has a British accent, lol)

Back