Bare Bones

mrpopdrinker

I need a new processor soon. I was wondering if any of you know a good website that sells bare bone systems. By bare bones I meen it has a processor, motherboard, case and power supply.

tigerdirect.com is the best out there, thats where i get mine.
smile.gif

Thanks Doc but I really wouldent find anything there that suits my needs. Let me be a bit more specific in what I am looking for. A 350 watt power supply. A good case but nothing special. A motherboard with 2-4 USB, 1 AGP slot 2/4/8x, 4 PCI slots, 1 ps/2 adapter for keyboard. A processor anywhere from 2.0-2.8 GHZ. I think that is about it does anyone have a site with anything like that?

Well I guess I know where I will be buying my parts from now. I cant buy it right now as I have to save up some and right now I am just checking prices. But when I get the money I will let you know.  
smile.gif
I have a AMD right now and it has always done me good. So with what I said above with a 2.0 GHZ AMD what should I be looking at? (I forgot to mention earlier the mobo would have to use DIMM 133 MHZ SDRam)

i also run a biz, and have some hardware distributers, ill check for u.
smile.gif

also, amd is much better then intel and cheaper.
smile.gif

the 2100+ what i run, bout 1.753 ghz, is affordable, and ive never had any probs running things on it, even halo with all of the options maxed out, and im only runnig a gf4 mx440.  ram is cheap tho, and id recommend at least pc 2700, 512 which i can get for 50 to 70 bucks sometimes.  if u wait to feb or march of next year, towards the end of the first quarter, u can get some of the high end products of now cheaper, as most companies start putting out newer models and clearing stock for them.

march is by far the best month to buy and build pcs, its the only time ive ever built mine.
smile.gif

Yes I will probably have to wait till march or later anyway like I said I am just looking and camparing prices right now. The 2000+ would it be worth it? I have a 1.1 GHZ right now. I want somthing that will last awhile with is why I was thinking more of a 2.0 or 2.4 GHZ.

the amd model runs equivalent to the intel ghz, as a 2100+ runs as fast as an intel 2.2ghz. its also cheaper, and with enough fans, u can overclock amds.
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dr. Tek @ Nov. 06 2003,9:59)]u just cahnge the number in the mhz settings in the cmos before windows starts.
smile.gif
I thought you had to do other things besides the fans. I know this is kind of a noobish question but how safe is it?

u need a lot of stuff to cool it down, but its safe as long as u dont push for to much power more, nut no, u can just change the settings in the cmos,  i wouldnt change it to much tho, jsut so no probs occur.
smile.gif

its safe, but would not recommend it unless u need the extra power, as it would be a shame to accidently ruin a good pc if u dont know exactly wht u r doin.

Yeh.. AMD is considerably faster when you compare a 1.8ghz Athlon and Pentium 4. Good choice you made. I wouldn't suggest overclocking CPUs, though if it's successful, ur computer will hav wings on it. However, if u fail to overclock it well, er.. forget about wings. Lets just say that the computer will be flung down the cliff. I'd only overclock the videocard. Also, I don't want to be concerned about cooling system. Either overclock it a little ditty bit on Stock cooling, or get a better cooling system.

Back