ATTENTION: Very Important Info for TOJ Minecraft Players

Tried playing yesterday and did not have a good experience. VERY laggy and buggy. Too much interference for a "pure" server for me as well.

Logged in wandered around the spawn area. Found the gate to the Freebuild area and went thru. Discovered the TOJ build area there as well. It's right next to the Freebuild area and is separated by an obvious fence with signs.

Wandered around the TOJ area and talked with some of the server regulars. Nice people but with so many on (13 at one point including a foul mouthed person that was quickly muted) it's kinda hard to follow a text conversation. Found a nice area where two maps meet (1.7/1.8) and started setting up an area for myself. Admin type person came by and offered to plant me an apple tree. Found an NPC village real close. Used the sethome command to set it as my home. Started exploring the village. Was fighting the horrible lag the whole time. It also kept jumping to daylight from the middle of the night but that might maybe possibly could have been from the lag (doubt it).

Creepers do no damage to the environment but due to the lag I had one blow up right next to me with predictable results. Respawned at the spawn and immediately fell thru the map (a common occurrence for people yesterday). Logged out and back in twice until I was able to stop falling. Tried to use the /home command and found myself on top of an interesting looking mountain but no where near my home. Used the /spawn command and appeared back at spawn. Went thru the Freebuild gate and found myself at the edge of the TOJ area again but this time it was in the middle of a desert and again no where near where I appeared the first time I went thru. Wandered and wandered but never found my home again. Very frustrating.

Very laggy and buggy. Apple trees mean you don't really have to worry about hunger and no creeper damage make them unimportant as well. Admins interfere too much for me still. Not really my flavor. Might try it again in a while to see if the lag and bug issues get worked out but for now it's just too frustrating an experience.

What Protocol Error means

Good question. I'm now getting a "disconnected by server - protocol error"
Since this is a public server, we require people to authenticate through minecraft.net (if you're familiar with steam, this is like VAC). When ever minecraft.net goes down, you will receive a message that says "Protocol Error". You may also notice that when you attempt to login to your copy of minecraft, it might say "Login Failed", and give you the option to play offline. Unlike the previous ToJ server, you are not able to play on this server, in offline mode.

Since this is a public server, we require people to authenticate through minecraft.net (if you're familiar with steam, this is like VAC). When ever minecraft.net goes down, you will receive a message that says "Protocol Error". You may also notice that when you attempt to login to your copy of minecraft, it might say "Login Failed", and give you the option to play offline. Unlike the previous ToJ server, you are not able to play on this server, in offline mode.

wait... you could do that? o_O And here I thought offline meant no multi-player at all.

Respawned at the spawn and immediately fell thru the map (a common occurrence for people yesterday).
Nice people but with so many on (13 at one point including a foul mouthed person that was quickly muted) it's kinda hard to follow a text conversation.
Sorry if the number of people were a little much. Users have chat options to decrease the number of convos going on at once.
FIX1: Decreased the maximum number of ppl on the server.
FIX2: We will continue to train new users on our local chat commands: /local, /group, /tell, /areasay

Respawned at the spawn and immediately fell thru the map (a common occurrence for people yesterday).
2 Theories and 2 fixes on why the fall at spawn occured:
-spawn on half block - replaced half blocks with full blocks
-spawn in too deep of water - filled so that water is only 1 block deep. Some people have reported that they are spawning high, so the water is there to soften the fall.

Unfortunately, warping around in multiworld has always caused problems. ( Not sure if it's a server issue, but if you find a server where this never happens, let me know b/c I want to talk to 'em) You did right by disconnecting and reconnecting. It usually fixes the problem for me.

It also kept jumping to daylight from the middle of the night but that might maybe possibly could have been from the lag (doubt it).

We're sorry that you saw this as a problem.
Explanation1: users on our server can cast spells to channel the power of the sun & move the sun's location. Cata was playing with this.
Explanation2: 5 people were helping me fence off and create the ToJ only area. The skeles came out a couple of times and I quickly made it day, to burn the skeles away.

Fix: see if someone can teach you how to use the "/cast sun" command. You can fight with others for dominance of the sun!

Tried to use the /home command and found myself on top of an interesting looking mountain but no where near my home.
the /home and /warp commands will always warp you to your coordinates, but you will always be on the Exodus map/world, the map/world that holds spawn.

-Fix: ToJ members now have access to a "/tele" command. This allows you to create your own teleports. If you aren't on the map/world of your own teleport, it tells you instead of warping you to the wrong world.

Used the /spawn command and appeared back at spawn. Went thru the Freebuild gate and found myself at the edge of the TOJ area again but this time it was in the middle of a desert and again no where near where I appeared the first time I went thru. Wandered and wandered but never found my home again. Very frustrating.
We're definitely sorry for causing frustration. The The Freebuild portal was relocated from EV FreeBuild (on 1.5 map, EV) to Exodus FreeBuild (on 1.8 map, Exodus). This was the response to a request to relocate the Freebuild gate, at spawn, to the 1.8 map.

Directions to EV Freebuild & EV ToJ/Trusted Area: From spawn, take the gate to "EV Station". There are 7 signs located around the station that point the direction to "EV Freebuild".

-Fix: ToJ now has a portal, at spawn, to ToJ station. This location contains a number of portals to warp to ToJ specific locations (or anything else you guys set up :)

Very laggy and buggy.
Hopefully the above fixes remove some of the bugs. RTLShadow and I are researching the lag that occured with about 20 Minecraft users over 2 servers. We found no problems in: Network bandwidth (only 33% of capacity), Processers (only 50% capacity), Memory (only 33% capacity). Only about half of the users reported experiencing any lag. To be safe, here's what I did:

-LAG FIX1: The 3+ maps not accessible to players and known to give java errors, were removed.

-LAG FIX2: The massive wooden church that was burning for over 4 hours and that was spamming the server with warnings was extinguished. Permissions were set in hope to prevent potential griefers from placing fire.

-LAG FIX3: Dedicated memory increased from 2gigs to 3 gigs
-LAG FIX4: Maximum player slots reduced
-LAG FIX5: View distance decreased by 50%

Admins interfere too much for me still.

PM me, to let me know who the trouble makers are, and what we can do to improve the experience :)

Last edited:
wait... you could do that? o_O And here I thought offline meant no multi-player at all.

Sorry, I started mixing technical terms. In the server properties, using no authentication service is called "offline mode". The previous ToJ server used a White list for security. This let people play without having a minecraft account, but they still had to be on the white list. The current server allows anyone to play who purchases the game. They are just restricted in where and what they can build.

Thanks for the quick and concise reply Bascom. Some of my issues were real issues (lag, falling thru the map, /home issue) and some were preference issues (instant daylight, no creeper damage). I'll never have a server I'm 100% satisfied with unless I pay for it myself and set it up myself so it's a matter of finding a place I can compromise with.

As I stated previously, I like an almost 100% pure server. Apple trees and no creeper damage (to me) takes away from the gameplay of the game. I understand the frustration of building a house and other items just to walk out the front door and be staring at a creeper and then have it blow up a large part of the front of your house and your garden. However, that is part of the game and repairing the damage or finding a way to prevent them from getting that close is part of the game. Scavenging for food is part of the game. Apple trees just take away from that. Night and the dangers it brings is just part of the game. Working to avoid those dangers is part of the game. By allowing users to make it daylight is almost cheating in my opinion, especially if they wait for endermen and skelly's to appear, make it daylight and burn em do death then collect the stuff they drop. But again, this is personal opinion that effects personal enjoyment and not an issue that makes the server unplayable.

Some of the issues that made the server unplayable were part of TOJ coming in and getting set up. Some of them were technical issues that have been addressed. It's why I mentioned them and stated I might try again in the future. Thanks again!

Back