April 29th, 2005

.se3ker.

The psalmist wrote, "My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him."

-Psalm 62:1 (NIV)

RECENTLY I sat in the emergency room of our local hospital with an elderly friend who had fallen and severely bruised his face. The hospital was extremely busy, so we had to wait a long time before we were given the results of his earlier examination. This waiting period proved to be an anxious time because we thought he might have damaged an eye. But we also knew that we were entirely dependent on the skills of the dedicated medical staff. We were confident that they would do all in their power to help my friend recover.

On a deeper, spiritual level, we all are called to entrust everything about our lives to God. The psalmist speaks of an absolute and unceasing dependence upon God. Our salvation is in God alone, and God alone continues the work of grace in each of our lives. Each moment of the day we can receive spiritual blessings that God provides in Christ; once we understand that, then waiting upon God becomes a joyful privilege.

Each day as we pray, we learn afresh to rest in God alone for complete healing and wholeness.

Norman Armistead (Northumberland, England)

Prayer:
God of all grace, we come before you in our weakness to seek your help, for you alone are our rock and our salvation. In you alone we trust. Amen.

Back