April 2, 2004

Kidan

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]. . the Lord Jesus . . . has sent me that you may receive your sight . . .
—Acts 9:17

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When Paul received his sight, he also received spiritual insight into the Person of Jesus Christ. His entire life and preaching from that point on were totally consumed with nothing but Jesus Christ—"For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified" ( 1 Corinthians 2:2 ). Paul never again allowed anything to attract and hold the attention of his mind and soul except the face of Jesus Christ.

We must learn to maintain a strong degree of character in our lives, even to the level that has been revealed in our vision of Jesus Christ.

The lasting characteristic of a spiritual man is the ability to understand correctly the meaning of the Lord Jesus Christ in his life, and the ability to explain the purposes of God to others. The overruling passion of his life is Jesus Christ. Whenever you see this quality in a person, you get the feeling that he is truly a man after God’s own heart (see Acts 13:22 ).

Never allow anything to divert you from your insight into Jesus Christ. It is the true test of whether you are spiritual or not. To be unspiritual means that other things have a growing fascination for you. Since mine eyes have looked on Jesus, I’ve lost sight of all beside, So enchained my spirit’s vision, Gazing on the Crucified.

I'm unsure how I feel about today's devotional. On the surface it looks good, but a part of me is screaming that there's something not quite right about it.

I don't know if I'm just reading it wrong or what, but it appears that the writer is supporting the idea of monastaries. Where you spend all your time in prayer focused solely on God.

I don't agree with monastaries.

We should focus on God, but we can't stop focusing on the world as well. We are to provide for our families, we are to care for one another, we are to spread the Word. Hiding in monastaries is not the way to a Christian life. You can't serve others there and serving others is a big aspect of a Christian life.

Yet as I said earlier, I'm just not sure what to make of today's devotional.

I don't think the writers intent is that extreme. Especially when he talking about Paul. I assume you are struggling with the line:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Never allow anything to divert you from your insight into Jesus Christ.

I see that as more of a reminder to mindful of things that distract you and not an all out restriction. To be honest, in my own personal walk, as much as I would like to think about Him solely, I would probably be generous to say in actuality I think of him 5% of my day. So many times through out our daily lives we put other distractions before Him. If we are not purposely looking to Him, how can we expect to see His will in our lives or be prepared to give a testimony on our beliefs?

But to be honest, becoming a Christian is very much a life changing event. It should not seem so extreme to remove yourself from things that cause a distration (if you hand causes you to sin then cut it off). It goes back to what Jesus said about which is the greatest commandment. Love the Lord you God first. Seek him first in everything you do. And likewise, love your neighbor. How can we be faithful to that second most important commandment if we are holed up in a monestary praying all day. I think the writer is just pointing out the importance of the greatest commandment. Just some thoughts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Plankeye @ April 02 2004,12:13)]It goes back to what Jesus said about which is the greatest commandment.  Love the Lord you God first.  Seek him first in everything you do.  And likewise, love your neighbor.  How can we be faithful to that second most important commandment if we are holed up in a monestary praying all day.  I think the writer is just pointing out the importance of the greatest commandment.  Just some thoughts.
This is kind of off-topic but in response to what Plankeye says...

And with that first commandment it seems to me that everything holy and unsinful will follow.  For, if you do truly love the Lord then you will fulfill all requests, or commandments, he has given us.  We will have an undying and almost incredible respect for him and so that one love we have for Him leads to living a righteous life.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kidan @ April 02 2004,8:09)]We should focus on God, but we can't stop focusing on the world as well.  We are to provide for our families, we are to care for one another, we are to spread the Word.  Hiding in monastaries is not the way to a Christian life.  You can't serve others there and serving others is a big aspect of a Christian life.
Kidan I agree, and I think that we can buy groceries and still have our eyes on God.  I believe that Paul is saying that he does not let sin or anything else distract or more importantly tempt him and lead him away from his faith, if even just for a moment.  Instead, when he's walking down the street he either sees God's work unraveling, or an opportunity for him to talk about his Lord.  I think we should be the same way, and we should have a pleasant and uplifting attitude.  People can recognize that in us, and so we should let them see it.

Back