Any information would be helpful

Wolfeman

I currently have Verizon wireless for my cellphone provider and Comcast/Infinity for my Internet.

I have a very old flip phone with no data plan that I use to make about 100 minutes of calls a month and maybe 20 text messages. My wife has a newer phone, also with no data plan but unlimited text messaging and she uses about 400-500 minutes a month. Generally, I pay about $120 a month for my service.

I have cable internet service that I pay about $60 a month for.

I also have DirecTV with a legacy package and 1 DVR that I pay about $60 a month for.

Customer support for DirecTV is great. Between that and my legacy package, I'd rather not leave. I will NOT go with Dish because of their customer service.

Customer service with Verizon is also very good. They also have the best coverage of any cell provider I know. I'd also like to stay with them if possible.

Dealing with Comcast is something I only do about every 6 months when my customer loyalty price expires and I need to threaten to leave to get the lower rate again. I'd love to leave them.

Said all that to say this. I'm looking at dropping Comcast and getting a data plan for my cell phone (as well as a new phone). How well would it work to set up a wifi hot spot in my home using my cell data plan to supply my home computers with internet? I don't use a lot of data just surfing the interent and playing TF2 but what about speeds? My comcast speeds are really good as is my ping to most places.

Any information or advice would be appreciated. I'd love to drop comcast and get a smartphone to play with but saving a few bucks is still my most important point

I currently have Verizon wireless for my cellphone provider and Comcast/Infinity for my Internet.

I have a very old flip phone with no data plan that I use to make about 100 minutes of calls a month and maybe 20 text messages. My wife has a newer phone, also with no data plan but unlimited text messaging and she uses about 400-500 minutes a month. Generally, I pay about $120 a month for my service.

I have cable internet service that I pay about $60 a month for.

I also have DirecTV with a legacy package and 1 DVR that I pay about $60 a month for.

Customer support for DirecTV is great. Between that and my legacy package, I'd rather not leave. I will NOT go with Dish because of their customer service.

Customer service with Verizon is also very good. They also have the best coverage of any cell provider I know. I'd also like to stay with them if possible.

Dealing with Comcast is something I only do about every 6 months when my customer loyalty price expires and I need to threaten to leave to get the lower rate again. I'd love to leave them.

Said all that to say this. I'm looking at dropping Comcast and getting a data plan for my cell phone (as well as a new phone). How well would it work to set up a wifi hot spot in my home using my cell data plan to supply my home computers with internet? I don't use a lot of data just surfing the interent and playing TF2 but what about speeds? My comcast speeds are really good as is my ping to most places.

Any information or advice would be appreciated. I'd love to drop comcast and get a smartphone to play with but saving a few bucks is still my most important point

First, my non-useful info:
LOL WUT??? Where I live Verizon has the worst cell coverage, and has the worst customer service, but from having friends all over the US, I have come to see that Verizon is different in different areas, just don't try to make a call from my mom's house.

Also, you pay $120 for a basic cell service??? I pay less than that for 2 iPhones with data, I think you need to look into a different provider. Paying $120 for what you are getting is nuts!

Now, the useful info:
No, moving to a MiFi plan would not help you in the slightest. Verizon's 3G speed averages under 1mbps, which is around that of economy DSL. You would not be able to play TF2 without major lag. Plus, MiFi is $50/month, only $10 less, for 20 times less speed, and more hassle.

And let's say you wanted to just get a smart phone and use it as a tether. Well, you are looking at $30 more a month, and speeds less than 500kbps, which would make ANY game unplayable.

Now, once Verizon gets 4G in your area, and 4G MiFi, it would be kinda fast enough, but still, you would be paying just $10 less a month, for a big cut in speed and reliability.

IMHO, switch to a cell provider that isn't completely stealing from you, keep Comcast, and drop the TV and just use Netflix. Netflix streaming ($8/month) has most TV shows, but I really don't see the point of wasting time watching TV, so I am not the best person to talk to about TV.

Hope this helped some, and my ranting didn't get in the way too much. ^_^

EDIT: Regarding speeds. Normally with Comcast cable internet, you are getting 15-30mbps. As I mentioned above, with a smart phone tether, you are looking at 0.5mbps, with MyWi, 0.8-1mbps.

Last edited:
First, my non-useful info:
LOL WUT??? Where I live Verizon has the worst cell coverage, and has the worst customer service, but from having friends all over the US, I have come to see that Verizon is different in different areas, just don't try to make a call from my mom's house.

Also, you pay $120 for a basic cell service??? I pay less than that for 2 iPhones with data, I think you need to look into a different provider. Paying $120 for what you are getting is nuts!

Interesting. I selected Verizon almost 11 years ago in Kansas because they had the best coverage there and here in Memphis. In that 11 years, I've never been anyplace where I didn't have coverage but someone else did. In fact, I've been several places where I was the only one with coverage. But that's just my experience. I'm sure it's different for everyone.
Never had a problem with customer service either. They've always been very helpful to me with any problem I've called them about. Website and store personnel is a different story but anyway.

I"m very interested in who's your provider and what plan you have. I've compared 2 line family share plans for every major provider (Tmobile, Sprint, ATT, Cellular South etc.) and they all seem right in that price range. Verizon is actually the cheapest comparably.
2 Lines with 700 shared minutes ($60 + $10 for the second line)
1 line with unlimited texting + 1 line with 250 text messages a month ($15 +$5)
Insurance on one phone ($5) since canceled
Taxes and regulatory fees (about $20)

I agree with XionTawa - if you are paying $120 for basic phone service you need to change your plan or provider. We have Verizon and paid way less than that for two phones - and only a little more for five phones and a data plan.

I also agree about trying to use your phone for your internet coverage. It will never work for care-free gaming. It is great for data transfer - work type stuff - but not for recreational uses.

I currently have ATT for my internet, but I am thinking about picking up a basic Comcast plan to get their internet. It looks like I can get great internet and basic TV for less than the ATT cost - even after the promo time expires. We do watch TV but all of it is free Hulu or the $8 Netflix streaming. I'll be curious to see what people say on this thread.

Now, the useful info:

***Lots and lots of words***

EDIT: Regarding speeds. Normally with Comcast cable internet, you are getting 15-30mbps. As I mentioned above, with a smart phone tether, you are looking at 0.5mbps, with MyWi, 0.8-1mbps.

Thanks! That's what I was afraid of as far as speeds go.

IMHO, switch to a cell provider that isn't completely stealing from you, keep Comcast, and drop the TV and just use Netflix. Netflix streaming ($8/month) has most TV shows, but I really don't see the point of wasting time watching TV, so I am not the best person to talk to about TV.

I've already asked for information about your cell provider. Keeping or dropping comcast isn't an option if I want to continue using the internet. And Netflix lost me as a customer a few months back just as I was getting ready to sign up with their handling of their current customer base. Besides, I don't watch TV, my wife and daughter do. The only thing I really watch is NFL football (DA BEARS!) and I've yet to find a legal way to do that online.

Last edited:
Interesting. I selected Verizon almost 11 years ago in Kansas because they had the best coverage there and here in Memphis. In that 11 years, I've never been anyplace where I didn't have coverage but someone else did. In fact, I've been several places where I was the only one with coverage. But that's just my experience. I'm sure it's different for everyone.
Never had a problem with customer service either. They've always been very helpful to me with any problem I've called them about. Website and store personnel is a different story but anyway.

I"m very interested in who's your provider and what plan you have. I've compared 2 line family share plans for every major provider (Tmobile, Sprint, ATT, Cellular South etc.) and they all seem right in that price range. Verizon is actually the cheapest comparably.
2 Lines with 700 shared minutes ($60 + $10 for the second line)
1 line with unlimited texting + 1 line with 250 text messages a month ($15 +$5)
Insurance on one phone ($5) since canceled
Taxes and regulatory fees (about $20)

Unfortunately, prices depend on where you live. I use AT&T, 700 mins is $40 a month + $9 for 2nd line ($49), plus 2 data plans @ $20 each ($89), plus family unlimited texting $15 ($104), plus taxes and fees $6-8 ($112). That is what we would be paying anyways, but we get a big (like 30-40%) discount thanks to being a customer for over 5 years.

However, even though prices are different elsewhere, it usually depends on the COL (Cost of Living) of the area, and both Kansas and Tennessee are low on that list, so your prices should close to mine.

It's funny though, the only State I ever had an issue getting a 3G signal constantly in (during my trip from Indiana to Colorado) was Kansas, lol.

Last edited:
I use Armstrong cable for internet, 39.95 a month. I was using a basic no texting, no data plan with AT&T at 62.00 a month, but shifted to a plan with my brother-in-law on AT&T because he had room for 2 more phones on his plan, which has unlimited data and texting grandfathered in. I pay the taxes and basic share of expenses for 2 phones, or 30.00 a month. The only problem was the loss of my old number because his is a different calling area. For tv I use Netflix streaming and dvd package for 16.00mo, and a Roku player. Most calls incoming are handled by Magic Jack, 29.95 yr, a lot of outgoing are on Skype around 30.00 year. It all works nicely and great speed on the cable internet.

Roku player

'nuff said.

I own multiple devices able to stream netflix (many computers, an iPhone, an xbox 360, a Roku HD), and I have to say the Roku is by far, no other competitor, the BEST streaming device for ANY service.

Consider bundling you TV and Internet. Either go to Comcast/Xfinity or Verizon/Fios. You'll get in for around $90/month instead of the $120 you are spending on dish and Comcast. Then consider your cellphone service. Sprint has an unlimited family text and data plan with 1500 minutes that's about the same cost per monthfor 2 and both phones would be on data. Plus you can get an iPhone there.

If I could afford a roku box, I wouldn't be quibbling over $5 a month on my cell phone bill.

Have you looked into them? $40-50. That's cheaper than one month of DirectTV.

EDIT: but on a personal note, if you are quibbling over $5 a month, why do you even have TV?

EDIT 2: please don't take what I said as being mean, I am not intending to. I just know a lot about not being able to afford things. I support my family of 5 with $12-15k a year. So what I do is break it down. Cell Phone > Internet > TV, so I cut out the TV. Running car > Efficient car > New car, so I just having 1 (kinda 2, the 2nd needs some work to be reliable) running car. And so on...I think you get my point. If you are having trouble affording something that is more important (say communication), it might be time to nix the stuff that isn't.

However, if I am completely misunderstanding, just ignore my edits ^_^

Last edited:
I use internet for gaming, banking and hobby. I don't watch but about 3 hours of TV a week.

My wife and daughter watch a lot of TV for news and weather in the morning, educational stuff in the afternoon after school and Hallmark Channel/Girly stuff/Christian programming at night before bed/after daughter has gone to bed.

About 30% or so of what they watch is not available streaming and that number will go up as content providers start being more selective as to who they allow access to their content. Cost for content will also go up. A fair number of the content contracts that Netflix now holds are due for renegotiating this year or next with cost expected double at the very least. Also, I've not been able to find NFL football legally available online.

I can not expect them to bear the entire burden of cost cutting. I thought I had found the answer in bundling ATT's Uverse but their customer service and set up teams could legally be compared to a herd of rabid monkeys with cellphones and screwdrivers. The only thing good I could say about the experience is they didn't try to blame all the problems on me like Comcast did.

Besides, we have no home phone service. It is strictly mine and my wife's cell phones. Hard to bundle if you don't want/need 1/3 of the bundle.

Basically, I'm keeping the DirecTV because it's my wife and daughter's. The price I pay is about as low as it goes for what I get because of a legacy package I have and I keep negotiating "keep the customer" discounts. I'm also very happy with their customer service (which is a 7 or 8 in terms of importance to me on a 1-10 scale)

I love my cell phone coverage. I've never seen better. Their customer services is pretty good as well. But I'm willing to switch if I can get a better rate or better package for the same rate.

My internet company has long been near the bottom of industry lists or at the very bottom in terms of customer service. They charged me for a missed appointment because their tech could not find my house. I'd love to change internet providers. However, the evil you know is almost always better than the evil you don't.

My main hope was I could get rid of comcast, add a data package to my cell phone and carry on computing the way I always have. Data transfer speeds for cell phone networks seem to indicate that right now, that is impossible.

Cell phone plans for my area have Verizon and ATT dead even almost. Both charge $70 for 2 line and 700 shared minutes. Both charge $30 per month for unlimited messaging. The only difference is the data plans. Verizon charges $30 per month for 2 gig and ATT has a very very confusing data plan. Something between $30 and $60 a month for 3 gig I think.

TMobile seems to be the best deal of the major carriers in this area. They charge $80 a month for 1000 minutes on 2 lines, offer includes unlimited text and an extra $40 for 2 gig of unlimited (?) data. The offer an unlimited minutes version with 2 gig of unlimited data for $140, 5 gig of unlimited data for $160 and 10 gig of unlimited data for $220.

All of these offers are still more after taxes and surcharges than what I pay now for my cell coverage so it's a moot point.

There is a lot of free streaming content on Roku, and Hulu is only 8.95 month on Roku. The customer service on Roku is pretty good too, I blew mine out 5 months into ownership. Made the call to Customer Service, went through the usual yada yada, power on? reset tried? Went through the whole service tree of symptoms, then they just authorized a new one, sent the old one back and presto new Roku. Btw pretty sure is was the wall wart went bad.

Okay, so it seems like what you are really looking for is DSL, find AT&T (yes, their landline customer service is awful [just like Verizon's landline customer service if it still exists anywhere]) while they may be a pain, they will give you a fast internet for $20-30/month, no promotions, no contracts. That is a $30 savings for a little pain at the start.

Hope this is helpful.

Back when AT&T's UVerse service started up and hit our area, I was really considering it. One day a salesmen came to my door and I took that as a sign to go ahead and get it. Spent about 60 minutes with the guy in our kitchen doing all the paperwork for both DSL and their TV service. Was offered a $100 visa gift card for signing up. Salesmen also sweetened the deal (becasuse I really do love my DirecTV) with an additional $100 gift card. Spent the last 15 minutes on the phone setting up my account and installation. Because it was new to my area and they had so many installations they didn't have an open appointment for me. After confirming everything in the contract including the two giftcards the lady on the phone said they would call me back in a week (2 at most) to schedule my installation.

At the end of 2 weeks I called them to find out about the installation. After digging thru the computer the CS person I was talking to explained that my account was in the system but there was no record of any order. I was going to have to go thru it all again. I questioned the two gift cards and was told that since my order was lost there was no way to confirm it (the original paperwork showing it wasn't good enough because it wasn't in the computer was what she said). I was also now outside the original offer and no gift cards would be issued. I told the lady several people had warned me about AT&T's customer service and now I understood why. I told her I now wanted nothing to do with Uverse and to please delete me from the computer.

That was my AT&T experience. However, their price has come down so much in the last year it might be worth it to try again.

AT&T is a great provider as long as you don't have to deal with customer service. I, too, have had the "it must be something in your house/modem/computer/mind" routine. It is never anything they might have done and certainly not any of their equipment. BUT it only costs an arm and a leg to have them check it out.

My best TV experience - DirectTV.
My best internet experience - Comcast.
My best cell phone experience - Verizon.

I have tried most of all three. Those are the ones I liked the best.

Back when AT&T's UVerse service started up and hit our area, I was really considering it. One day a salesmen came to my door and I took that as a sign to go ahead and get it. Spent about 60 minutes with the guy in our kitchen doing all the paperwork for both DSL and their TV service. Was offered a $100 visa gift card for signing up. Salesmen also sweetened the deal (becasuse I really do love my DirecTV) with an additional $100 gift card. Spent the last 15 minutes on the phone setting up my account and installation. Because it was new to my area and they had so many installations they didn't have an open appointment for me. After confirming everything in the contract including the two giftcards the lady on the phone said they would call me back in a week (2 at most) to schedule my installation.

At the end of 2 weeks I called them to find out about the installation. After digging thru the computer the CS person I was talking to explained that my account was in the system but there was no record of any order. I was going to have to go thru it all again. I questioned the two gift cards and was told that since my order was lost there was no way to confirm it (the original paperwork showing it wasn't good enough because it wasn't in the computer was what she said). I was also now outside the original offer and no gift cards would be issued. I told the lady several people had warned me about AT&T's customer service and now I understood why. I told her I now wanted nothing to do with Uverse and to please delete me from the computer.

That was my AT&T experience. However, their price has come down so much in the last year it might be worth it to try again.

Definitely seems like a one time fluke. I have had issues like that with everyone. I would not base your possible future experience with them off of that. Just saying, if I refused to use a service because of a bad experience, or even 2, I would not have any services, LOL!

Back