Anime fan presence in ToJ?

Japesland

I'm just curious to hear what kind of presence there is here of fans of anime (and manga, I suppose). I know I have talked to a few people from ToJ and have been discussing anime rather frequently on the IRC channel (server: irc.gamesurge.net, channel #cga, check it out!), but I have just wondered if there is anyone else.

On a similar note, I just finished Clannad/Clannad After Story:
https://twitter.com/Japesland/status/224747054788911106

I'm a big fan of Bleach, Naruto and DBZ. I have however finished Claymore, Soul Eater, Needless, Cowboy Bepop, Trigun, Black Butler, FMA, Yu-Yu Hakusho and Evangelion.

I really don't read much manga, but I do read Bleach and Naruto.

I tend more toward American comics than Japanese comics but more Japanese animated series than American ones.

Since you're asking about the Japanese stuff, I still have a soft spot for the shounen heroes. Goku's undying (lol) dedication to training to protect his loved ones, etc. I definitely enjoy Dragon Ball (though Kai's the only series I've watched in full) and Naruto.

Love love love Trigun. (Does it show? >.>) The only Japanese comics I own are the Trigun trades localized by Dark Horse. I still need to buy into Maximum.

Other animated series I've enjoyed are... shoots... I can't even remember what all I've watched. Oh! Fullmetal Alchemist was/is a definite favorite. So good. So heartwrenching, too.

.hack//Sign is another definite favorite. I'm not sure why exactly, but I find the .hack universe very engrossing. I own some of the novels based on the series even.

Liked Hellsing a good bit. Surprisingly really liked what I've seen of Initial D (first two or three "Stages"). Liked what I've seen of Samurai Seven, Persona: Trinity Soul, Claymore, and Cowboy Bebop.

The latter I actually plan to watch in full with a friend sooner than later.

I'm sure there are other things I've watched/read that I'm forgetting (just remembered Death Note), but whatevz. This demonstrates my tendency toward mainstream series. Open to anything; I just end up tending to watch and enjoy those things. :p

Edit: Now following you on Twitter. :D

Last edited:
I've finished:
[7/10] .hack//Sign
[8/10] AIR
[6/10] Claymore (strange)
[9/10] Fate/Zero (awesome art style)
[9/10] Fairytail, Season 1
[7/10] Gundam 00
[9/10] Gunslinger Girl (Good story)
[9/10] Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino
[7/10] Heat Guy J
[8/10] Jyu-Oh-Sei
[7/10] KURAU Phantom Memory
[9/10] Last Exile
[7/10] Noein: Mou Hitori no Kimi e
[9/10] Sands of destruction
[7/10] Samurai 7
[6/10] Sengoku Basara (Horses with exhaust pipes :D)
[8/10] Senjou no Valkyria: Gallian Chronicles
[6/10] Senkou no Night Raid
[9/10] Steam Boy
[9/10] Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
[7/10] Trigun (meh.. xD)
[6/10] Utawarerumono

Manga:
[10/10] Yotsuba&!

Curently watching:
[8/10] Toaru Majutsu no Index
[8/10] Tegami Bachi

Plan to watch:
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun
Fate/stay night
Tegami Bachi Reverse
Azumanga Daioh
Steins;Gate
Eureka Seven
Samurai Champloo
Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World
Ergo Proxy

Last edited:
I'm not big into it, though I'm currently watching Naruto, and will start Naruto Shippuden after it.

That's about it though.

I've finished Trigun, but haven't watched the movie yet. I've seen some Cowboy Bebop. Like those two because they are a bit western. By western, I mean cowboys and stuff.

Man, I've posted so much about anime on these forums. You all don't want to hear me rant again. So I'll very briefly recap:

I <3 Denno Coil. It's one of the most important anime series in the last 10 years.

I've been around long enough and I'm old enough that I've turned away from generic shounen and even taken to calling it IMA FIRIN MAH LAZER anime (for obvious reasons). Yet somehow I still watched Ao no Exorcist all the way through. /embarrassed

I'm not ashamed to watch shoujo (aimed at teen girls) anime like Usagi Drop or josei (aimed at young women) anime like Nodame Cantibile. If the story's good and the content isn't offensive, then I don't really care who the target market is (as I proved when I watched and thoroughly enjoyed Avatar: The Last Airbender, though that isn't anime).

I'm a sucker for slice of life anime like Lucky Star, K-ON!!, and Usagi Drop.

I still don't know why Natsume Yuujinchou is classified as shoujo and I just don't care. I still love it.

Mai HiME and Read or Die TV remain two of my favorite series, even after ~16 years of watching anime. (I started with VHS copies of Neon Genesis Evangelion.)

The large majority of anime is trope-ridden rot, but there's some fantastic stuff out there.

You already know how amazing Clannad and Clannad After Story are, but most folks here probably don't.

And I'm going to stop there before I really do start ranting.

Man, I've posted so much about anime on these forums. You all don't want to hear me rant again. So I'll very briefly recap:

I <3 Denno Coil. It's one of the most important anime series in the last 10 years.

I've been around long enough and I'm old enough that I've turned away from generic shounen and even taken to calling it IMA FIRIN MAH LAZER anime (for obvious reasons). Yet somehow I still watched Ao no Exorcist all the way through. /embarrassed

I'm not ashamed to watch shoujo (aimed at teen girls) anime like Usagi Drop or josei (aimed at young women) anime like Nodame Cantibile. If the story's good and the content isn't offensive, then I don't really care who the target market is (as I proved when I watched and thoroughly enjoyed Avatar: The Last Airbender, though that isn't anime).

I'm a sucker for slice of life anime like Lucky Star, K-ON!!, and Usagi Drop.

I still don't know why Natsume Yuujinchou is classified as shoujo and I just don't care. I still love it.

Mai HiME and Read or Die TV remain two of my favorite series, even after ~16 years of watching anime. (I started with VHS copies of Neon Genesis Evangelion.)

The large majority of anime is trope-ridden rot, but there's some fantastic stuff out there.

You already know how amazing Clannad and Clannad After Story are, but most folks here probably don't.

And I'm going to stop there before I really do start ranting.

Yes.

For whatever it's worth I think I recommended Dennou Coil to Tek :-D

My top 5 are:
Dennou Coil (kids/sci-fi realism/drama)
Aria (3 series) (slice of life)
Scrapped Princess (drama/adventure)
Honey & Clover (romcom/slice of life)
Haibane Renmei (drama)

Rounding out the top 10 or so:
Eureka Seven (drama/adventure/mecha)
Nodame Cantabile (romcom/slice of life)
Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi (slice of life/comedy/sci-fi; I recommend watching them in the original broadcast order (ie. out of chronological order), it adds to the mystery)
Ouran High School Host Club (reverse harem/slice of life/romcom)
Stellvia of the Universe (sci-fi)
Ghost in the Shell (series and movies) (sci-fi/drama/action)
Planetes (sci-fi realism/drama)
Hidamari Sketch (slice of life/comedy)

Other Good Series:
Twelve Kingdoms (slow moving at first, but compelling) (fantasy/drama)
Darker than Black (sci-fi/action)
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (fantasy/adventure/drama)
Bleach (shounen)
Naruto (shounen)
Kamichu (kids/fantasy/drama)
Cowboy Bebop (sci-fi/drama)
Mushishi (mystery/fantasy/drama)
Lucky Star (slice of life/comedy)
K-on (slice of life/comedy)
Eden of the East (sci-fi realism/drama)
Hunter x Hunter (shounen)
Eve no Jikan (sci-fi realism/drama)
Full Metal Panic (sci-fi/action)
Seirei no Moribito (fantasy/drama)
Hikaru no Go (shounen based on board game "Go")
Soul Eater (manga is better, although the animation is stellar) (shounen)
Azumanga Daioh (slice of life/comedy/4koma)
Full Moon Wo Sagashiite (girls/drama)
Last Exile (sci-fi/drama)
Rozen Maiden (girls/drama)
Read or Die (sci-fi/action)
Noein (sci-fi/drama)
Trigun (sci-fi/shounen)
Gundam Wing (mecha/sci-fi/action)
Gundam 00 (mecha/sci-fi/action)
Macross Frontier (sci-fi/drama/action)

Movies of note:
Spirited Away (My personal favorite movie of all time)
The Girl Who Leaped Through Time
Other Miyazaki flicks (My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle)
Grave of the Fireflies
Evangelion 1.0, 2.0, etc movies

I've watched many more series, but the rest that I've seen were either just ok or didn't stand out overall. I also haven't watch much at all the last 2 or 3 years. IMO, the quality and originality of anime peaked in the mid-late 2000s and has been in decline since then.

If I think of any others I'll add them in.

Kenshin is solid. When I first started watching anime it was one of my favorites. A classic shounen series. They're making a live action (movie I think) of it hat actually looks promising from the trailer so far.

Corin sighting! WOOP WOOP WOOP!

And I think it was Kidan that recommended Denno Coil to me, but it's been a few years and I can't recall with certainty.

Also, I'm embarrassed that I haven't mentioned AnoHana in this thread yet. One of the best series I've ever watched. If you don't tear up at some point during the 11-episode series, you may have no soul.

Also, listen to Corin. The man is wise in the ways of anime.

/bow

Well, Tek, you win. I just watched Usagi Drop (lol "Unagi Drop" XD), and I am quite glad I did. Yeah, I just told you this on Steam, but I thought I'd post here to continue the thread anyway. :)

Seriously heart-affecting (still not sure which affect was most prominent... be it -warming, -wrenching, or something else). Will definitely continue the series.

Also, I just started a Crunchyroll trial. I'm saddened by the lack of Funimation, but there's still a lot of good stuff here, and I keep consulting this thread (and Neirai's Crunchyroll thread from forever ago) to see what I should give a look.

Will report here on what I like, too.

Stoked that they have Hokuto no Ken... er, Fist of the North Star. Yeah... yeah... I know. Though I'm glad to be trying things that aren't stereotypical shounen, I'm still a sucker for that archetypal hero. Still, it'll have to get in line behind some of these recommendations posted here. Can't wait to try 'em all. :D

Finished Usagi Drop last night. Wow. Super touching. Loved it. Glad I watched it.

Also hooked on some sports series. Eyeshield 21 is good, but totally shounen (complete with gags and ridiculous characters) for any that find that a turn-off. Still, something about a shounen about a couple Japanese high schoolers tryna put together an American football team and win the big tournament is more enjoyable than expected.

Giant Killing is also proving to be really good. It's a serious drama about a once-rising-star Japanese soccer player who goes off to Europe to coach, and takes a nobody team to high standing in three years, then is called back to coach the team he abandoned years earlier. Really good. About a quarter of the way through the series. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend so far.

Back