Advice for rooting out and killing a brown recluse

:eek: BANINATION!

(I was suspicious when I hovered the link and saw tinyurl...)

Nah, Plank's safe. Tek specified posting IMAGES or animated gifs of spiders.

Plank posted a link to a page of images.

Slight, but important, semantical distinction, which a journalism major would be well aware of...:D:cool:

Well, my evening is shot.

I saw a brown recluse duck into the shadows near our laundry baskets about an hour ago. My wife and I have been shaking out laundry with tongs, researching homemade pesticides, and trying to not let our skin crawl since then.

Does anyone have any advice for rooting out and killing brown recluse spiders? If so, please share.

Oh, and if anyone posts a picture of a spider in this thread, I'll ban them for a week. Post an animated GIF of a spider, and I ban you for a month.

Seriously. I don't think spiders existed before the fall of creation. They just creep me out so badly.

/shudder
ponders the banning of an admin..<eg>

Ember said:
...but once I've seen a few confirmed brown recluses, I pretty much assume the rest are the same and scramble for the nearest shoe or heavy book.

I've heard most people get bitten in the shower or while sleeping. That's what really freaks me out. We are careful to shake out our clothes and shoes.

yeah, once you've seen a real brown recluse, i don't think you'll ever forget it. I used to be freaked out by all spiders, but now the only ones that really bother me are the brown recluses. Now when I see a spider, I look at it and realize, "oh, that one is harmless", then I kill it and go on with life.

People are bitten in the shower because brown recluses are attracted to places where water collects. People are bitten in their sleep because the brown recluses go into the beds because it's dark and a place to hide. Check the sheets before bed and you'll be fine.

My wife said that most of the people that came into the wound clinic with brown recluse bites were bitten on the hand when reaching somewhere without looking. Sometimes when gardening, sometimes reaching in the closet or in a cabinet, etc.

...munch ...munch

We found that the best way to catch one is to stick a glass over the spider, carefully move a piece of paper under the glass, turn the glass right-side up, place a plastic zip-lock bag over the glass, turn the glass upside down to transfer the spider into the bag, seal the bag and then stick it in the freezer for a few hours.

YEAH! That's a great way to catch a spider just think of the midnight snack possibilities! :eek: :p

...please do not ban the Gerbil he could not pass up a sarcastic remark like that :D

YEAH! That's a great way to catch a spider just think of the midnight snack possibilities! :eek: :p

...please do not ban the Gerbil he could not pass up a sarcastic remark like that :D

:p

The freezer kills it without squishing it. It's easier to recognize if you don't mutilate it (although flatening a spider does feel rewarding!) ;)

I prefer the dry ice and a good 1 story drop on to a hard surface... millions of pieces.... "one down... on the ground"

:p

The freezer kills it without squishing it. It's easier to recognize if you don't mutilate it (although flattening a spider does feel rewarding!) ;)

I know :D It's just I get this mental picture of a guy waking up in the middle of the night, hungry, half asleep, fumbling in the freezer for a snack and eating that last crunchy candy piece he thought he had YUM! Hey bugs are supposed to have a lot of protein, right? :p

Seriously though I don't get a lot of big spiders here and the ones I get meet the end of my bug squashing stick. As far as dangerous ones, I saw what looked like a black widow one time and that is it (of course I would not know for certain if it was). Left it alone because it was in the backyard and not "bugging" anyone (hehheh).

A bit sad though. Spiders have gotten a bit of a bad wrap when they keep other bugs down. Spiders can be especially good when you consider they have to spray out here for mosquitoes, which can be a annoyance or can actually carry a deadly disease. Spider webs can be pretty neat looking too (from a distance mind you). There used to be a lot of pastures and cows out here, but, everything is being paved over for a gazillion unnecessary strip centers :( Probably increasing the mosquito breeding grounds, but, decreasing the spider population in the process.

A bit sad though. Spiders have gotten a bit of a bad wrap when they keep other bugs down. Spiders can be especially good when you consider they have to spray out here for mosquitoes, which can be a annoyance or can actually carry a deadly disease. Spider webs can be pretty neat looking too (from a distance mind you). There used to be a lot of pastures and cows out here, but, everything is being paved over for a gazillion unnecessary strip centers :( Probably increasing the mosquito breeding grounds, but, decreasing the spider population in the process.

yeah, i've grown to appreciate spiders some....yet I still have a strong dislike and fear of brown recluses.

Huh, I didn't know Brown recluse are Hunting spiders, nice.

Most spiders around here are black ones and daddy longlegs (which kills other spiders!)

I doubt you can find a daddy longleg in the US, if you do however, it could help solve your "infestion".

If not, I found this somewhere.

Insecticides

There are many labeled pesticides for spider control. Some are labeled for homeowner use, while others are labeled only for the licensed, certified pesticide applicator. It would be prudent to enlist the services of a professional pest management company when dealing with an indoor infestation of the brown recluse spider.

Research indicates that recently developed pyrethroids (e.g., cyfluthrin, cypermethrin, etc.) are particularly effective against brown recluse spiders. Wettable powders and microencapsuled "slow-release" formulations of these chemicals provide residual activity and are preferable to using emulsion-type sprays. Insecticide treatments should be applied so that the chemical contacts as many spiders and webs as possible. Residual liquid sprays should be applied to the outside perimeter of the home (including under eaves, patios, and decks; behind window shutters), baseboards, undisturbed corners, and other suspected spider harborages. Residual dusts should be applied to voids and inaccessible areas where spiders may hide. Aerosol flushing agents such as pyrethrins, though ineffective by themselves in providing control, can cause spiders to move about so that they contact treated surfaces.

Back