A Rift Junkies Healthy Guide to Max Level and the Head Start

ewoksrule

http://www.riftjunkies.com/2011/02/23/a-rift-junkies-healthy-guide-to-max-level-and-the-head-start/

Interesting thoughts on how to stay ahead of the pack. I will quote the good stuff.

1. Stay Ahead of the Pack
It’s no secret that the newbie areas will be jam packed as soon as the servers go up. If you’ve experienced any of the early Beta Events you know there will be plenty of spots where you’ll be waiting around for mobs to spawn. Your objective in the first few hours is to speed past everyone else.
In order to do this, get through the tutorial as fast as possible. The tutorial is easier since it’s instanced, and only allows a certain amount of players. Once you’re finished, get your butt moving to the closest mail box. You should have some of your pre-order rewards, including a mount, waiting for you.
Since there are so many new players and just a finite number of quest targets you might have to skip ahead. You can easily level past a few of the introductory quest areas if you focus on Invasion and Rifts. From our experience, the order of best experience per hour is Rifts and Invasions then Mob Grind then Questing.
While you’re progression kill every mob along the way. Typically 10-15 mobs are equivalent to the quest experience reward. One Rift is approximately worth one quest. The more people doing a Rift the better, as you’ll get the completion experience faster as well as clearing out Bonus Stages as well. Instead of thinking of quest experience as your main vessel of experience gain, think of it as a bonus doing for doing other activities.
Remember: Drop whatever you’re doing when a zone-wide Rift Invasion happens.
Doing this will get you ahead of the initial rush of players where you won’t have to be competing for quest targets.

2. Run Instances In Every Zone
Every single zone has a dungeon attached to it and clearing it out does three things for you. It gives you amazing experience, probably close to a full levels worth, it gives you upgraded blue gear which speeds up leveling, and it gives you Notoriety. There are some Notoriety rewards that are definitely worth getting and usually running a dungeon once or twice in combination with doing all the quests usually nets you the higher rewards.
If you don’t have a static group of people to rely on to do dungeons as you’re leveling, our suggestion is as soon as you are nearing the end of the zone to start looking for a group. All of the dungeons have quests inside them already so you don’t have to worry about bread crumbs or missing any outside quests.

3. Essences, Essences, Essences
Build up your focus. While doing Rifts and Invasions, save up your planarite for a nice big focus and use the blue and purple raid currency to buy some of the more powerful Greater Essences. The additional procs and stats help your character out tremendously, giving you a significant power boost along the lines of upgrading your weapon.

The mount is a source of confusion from me. From Steam's Rift store page I quote:
"Ancient Tartagon Mount: Available at level 20, this turtle mount increases player speed by 60%"

I know in the beta, the mount was available ASAP at first mailbox. However maybe for release it's lvl 20. I haven't checked other sources.

Last edited:
it still says that because originally 60% mounts required level 20, Trion decided to change that to if you could get to the vendor and afford it, you could ride it, and so removed the lvl 20 req.

I see, Just was never clear if that was just for beta like to let us get around quicker, but not after launch... Good to know, I upgraded to CE so I will get the free starting mount.

I loved making alts in wow, i hated not being able to use mounts... so that change made my altoholic self very happy :)

Yea... I am ok with the mount with no level req. Although I am not sold on the turtle, I am more interested in the Rhino, Wolf like one, or the Silverback looking mounts.

I really like the two-headed turtle, but I think its gonna be really common for a while, so as soon as i can get a mount thats somewhat more rare ill be switchin it up.

As part of my "pre" headstart work, I'm reading the manual and putting final tweaks to my build. I trust all of you pre-downloaded the game?

Update it again (at least sometime before 10am) because I just tried to log in and there was yet another update. It downloaded 56MB more stuff and I'm sure the devs will be up all night tonight adding stuff here and there, so continually keep it up to date. That way when 10am hits you won't be tied up downloading content you could have gotten earlier.

this game confuses the bongo drums outta me... can't wait to start playing.

So I think my day will go like this:
Wakeup nice and late, like 8am. Run the patcher, take a shower, run the patcher, take dog for a walk, run the patcher, go to starbucks and grab a grande chai latte (big splurge with my gift card), run the patcher, and make my way to the computer chair by 930am. Run the patcher a couple more times and start attempting to login every minute from 9:45 to 10am. Previous betas have launched 10 mins early so I will be ready!

Interesting that Rifts -> Grinding -> Questing is the order of fastest exp...

It is 2 am here so I am going to bed...tomorrow I am cleaning my house, going grocery shopping, cooking, and running patcher by noon...that is the plan anyhow...spent 2 hours tonight buying a webcam, hdmi 20" monitor and new cellphone (my phone died 3 days ago :/) just so that tomorrow wouldnt require all the running back and forth!

It's true I found myself at level 20 doing many quests levels below me for not much reward simply because I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Overall I think I got most of my EXP from farming dungeons many times and getting a few gear pieces in the process though I still had gaps. You'll have gear problems if you exclusively do Rifts and not quests and dungeons some though. Of course you could buy the gear but that's not my style.

Last edited:
Back