Yog-Sothoth

Ultima Avatar

Anyone familiar with the HP Lovecraft demon cast?
I seriously have spiritual trouble reading this guy. If that is happening, should I be reading him?
Also, Stephen King has had at least two stories I've read that deal with this same demon HP "made up". One was called Gramma, about a lady who became involved in demon worship to have children and lived a longer time than she should ever have...and then she gives the power to a young boy, and on that note, the story ends. The other was Needful Things. I believe the main villain was either Stephen King's super-demon Randall Flagg, or Yog-Sothoth.

Do demons come about by imagination at times? Can a fictitious beast you create from the depths of dark imagination become as real as a true spiritual horror?
I think this falls under General, primarily because this is regarding books.

ya know ive never read that book ever but that sounds like a good read, think the library would have it??? and about imaginations and whatnot, to me satan is alot more hidoes and scary then our own imaginations can figuire unless weve met the guy ourselves but, we mainly have to deal with little minions and i think they can give the somewhat super natural powers to humans but in the end its not a great spot to be in since ur under the power of demons.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I seriously have spiritual trouble reading this guy. If that is happening, should I be reading him?
I would say no you shouldent. If something is pulling you away from your realationship from God it is usually a good idea to stop it.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]ya know ive never read that book ever but that sounds like a good read, think the library would have it???
If they do it would probably be under another title. H.P.'s works are usually in collections seeing as how alot of his works were short. He did have a few long works but even they usually are mixed with some of his shorter writings. Infact if I remember correctly his works werent even published till after he died.

Yah, HP's stuff can be found in The Call of Cthulhu, Something Weird on the Doorstep, and other collections. Several other writers have based their works off his stuff. You may recollect seeing some books with grotesque skulls on them, of half-rotted, horned shape; Necronomicon books; based offa HP's Necronomicon.

Thanks pop.
I'm just not sure if it's detracting from the relationship or not. For certain.

eh, then again maybe i should read these works... *thinks for a while*

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yah, HP's stuff can be found in The Call of Cthulhu, Something Weird on the Doorstep, and other collections.
Cthulhu was a collection? I always thought it was a book to itself.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm just not sure if it's detracting from the relationship or not. For certain.
Hmmm, well what do you mean by spiritual problems?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]eh, then again maybe i should read these works... *thinks for a while*
Well I have only read two or three of his works so far. If you are going to read them I would suggest getting the "wake up screaming" collection as that is what I have be reading from. Right now I am at the lurking fear which I dident like very much which is probably why I havent read the whole thing yet.

There is actually some debate as to how much truth / fiction is contained in Lovecrafts works. I own an incomplete translation of the Necronomicon, and a work which sets out to prove that there is a cult out there which is actually in possession of the real work.

I'm not sure how much truth there is to all of it, but it's not the only book mentioned in his mythos that I own, and the rest are undoubtedly real works.

See, I'm not certain. I know this guy was heavily into the occult, and he proposed an idea in The Dunwich Horror which I have no problem believing has happened, or does happen: demons and man mix seed that sprouts up some kind of sick half-human / half-demon thing. Very good story.

Yeah, Cthulhu is a collection, as well; it's one of the stories in the collection.

The Skull of Ibid was pretty stupid.
I just have problems reading him, primarily because he glorifies evil so much; I have a feeling that if you glorify evil too long, it becomes alive in its own twisted sense, something like in The Dark Half by Stephen King, or as Nietzsche said; fight with monsters too long, you become one.

I, too, kinda think his Necronomicon is based on truth, but I don't recollect any other "books" he mentions / "documents".

Frasers the Golden Bough is one I own. There are others that I know by reputation though, like Unausprachelichen Kulten, Cultes des Goules, Liber Ivonis, Mysteries de Vermis etc.

Lovecraft was quite unwell, he came from a family of mentally disturbed individuals and he had a morbid streak that makes Edgar Allen Poe look like Brittney Spears. I'm not sure that he actually glorifies evil, per se, for a start a lot of the creatures are kind of beyond our definitions of good or evil - any more than we are beyond ants.

I don't know, I would say I'm a evil person, atleast my friends say so, I tent to favor the dark side. But I don't become more evil just by playing games, characters etc. I would never rape someone for example not then not now. I don't think I'd had a problem killing someone if I saw them raping someone, but then again I never have thought I'd have the that problem.

I think you might get inspired by reading a book, or atleast a collection, you get tempted on how it works. It's like playing starwars for instance, its quite amazing to see how the Good jedi players heal them self and protect them, I try to copy, but its not for me I just end up loosing, then I go back to grip\lightening\ dark fury combo and I win. You might get a little swayed but you won't change from who you are.

Back