XBL - Suspended for Christian status

ukilledkenny7

I know I'm new here and what not, but I thought that this may interest you.
Xbox live suspended my account because it said my bio had inappropriate content. My bio said I was a christian.

I contacted them about it but I doubt i will get a response. What are your thoughts on this? Its clearly against the US constitution. Should I try to get this into the media? Could make an interesting story.

I'd contact the attorney general for your state, the Consumerist, and perhaps Kotaku/Joystiq or another gaming related news blog.

XBOX live is perfectly within their constitutional rights here. There's nothing in the Constitution that says a private, for profit corporation cannot disallow you access for just about any reason. If MS was a gov't agency of some kind then the us constitution would apply in full force. That being said there are federal laws and state laws that prohibit this kind of behavior..that's where your legal standing would be..not the US Constitution.

Before contacting any news agencies, I'd recommend compiling reliable evidence that the only possible reason for your account getting banned was that you posted that you're a Christian. Have that evidence ready and include it with any news tip e-mails you submit.

EDIT: If you just send an e-mail to Kotaku or Joystiq saying, "Microsoft banned me because I'm a Christian," they're not going to run a story on it--and with good reason. If they have any journalistic integrity whatsoever (and I'm not implying that they do), they'll require multiple sources to run a story as controversial as that.

That being said, Microsoft may have included a section in the Terms of Service or End User License Agreement that effectively says, "We can do what we want, when we want, how we want" and is intended to protect Microsoft from consequences of their actions.

Even if they included a clause like that, though, if they really did ban someone for the sole reason that he or she publicly stated they are a Christian, it could quickly develop into a PR nightmare.

Last edited:
So what exactly did your bio say? I mean word for word? I would say, there is pretty much nothing you can do except plead your case on the offical xbox forums in the enforcement forum. But all you will get there is a generic message from an enforcer. How long you banned? I know many people who say they are christian in their bio and have not been banned. Sorry to hear you were. Keep us posted...

Consumerist most certainly would run the story, given (1) a ban letter/email (2) screenshot/link to the "offending" bio.

I'd say your well within your rights to at least receive a refund for anything you can no longer access on that account.

that being said, as long as your bio just states that you're a christian, and doesn't actually say anything to offend someone who may be reading it, i don't see how an XBL enforcer has the right to ban you if you didn't actually DO anything to anyone. i'm pretty sure there are people that have much more controversial things in their bios that the XBL enforcers do nothing about.

Not like me to point out the obvious elephant in the room, but me thinks there is a troll in our midst.

LOL AVESTHER.... One post?

Buddy, if your going to ask a question, you better come back and post on it again... otherwise your a troll....

/sigh

I know I'm a complete idiot. Yeah, I should have realized he searched us out, not for a christian community, rather to post on such a topic that starts flame wars in every other forum around.

Last edited:
Back