Who is tomfoolery_79?

Dchsknight

Tribe of Judah Minecraft Community Manager
This player is on the server right now...

I have never seen him before, he is rooting around people's stuff and now 2 of my armor stands plus full sets of iron armor is missing. He says he did not take them but I don't know. I did not take them downa nd creepers dont cause explosive damage so someone took them down. and he was the only other player online.

If someone's friend? is he someone's kid? do we know him?

Also all my iron from my furances are gone. I am not gonna just straight out say he has stolen a bunch of stuff but really looks like...

Last edited:
This player is on the server right now...

I have never seen him before, he is rooting around people's stuff and now 2 of my armor stands plus full sets of iron armor is missing. He says he did not take them but I don't know. I did not take them downa nd creepers dont cause explosive damage so someone took them down. and he was the only other player online.

If someone's friend? is he someone's kid? do we know him?

Also all my iron from my furances are gone. I am not gonna just straight out say he has stolen a bunch of stuff but really looks like...

Hi there. My sincere apologies. That's my 9 year old son playing underneath my name (I don't ever play minecraft). I will ask if he has them and tell him to put them back. Also, I will instruct him to not go through other people's stuff any more. I don't think he comprehends that it's other people's stuff.

Again, I'm sorry.

Hi there. My sincere apologies. That's my 9 year old son playing underneath my name (I don't ever play minecraft). I will ask if he has them and tell him to put them back. Also, I will instruct him to not go through other people's stuff any more. I don't think he comprehends that it's other people's stuff.

Again, I'm sorry.

Props for the quick reply. Also, we dont play Minecraft either, :p

Again, I'm sorry.

My thoughts:

1. He started playing today.
2. He has no pickaxe (iron or otherwise) to mine diamonds.
3. He has a diamond and three pieces of diamond armor. I verified this in his player data.

16:56:07 <dchsknight4213> how did you get the diamond armor so fast?
16:56:26 <tomfoolery_79> what do you mean
16:56:52 <dchsknight4213> Your character has diamond armor on. Did you just start today? How did you get the diamonds so fast?
16:58:28 <tomfoolery_79> ive played on here before 7monthes ago
16:58:45 <dchsknight4213> when maps reset so does all your inventory. the maps has switched 2 since then
16:59:01 <tomfoolery_79> my dad just got home gtg

4. Instead of saying he found it in someone's house, or crafted it from someone's diamonds, it looks like he's claiming to have already had it. When that's shot down, he leaves.

Sorry, I don't see how a 9-year-old can confuse "I started with this" with "I found this."

Since we're running vanilla Minecraft, I unfortunately see few options for this situation. I'm stuck with all-or-nothing without better tools from mods. I don't want to ban the account (since I can't distinguish who's logging in), so...

Your son can have one more chance. In return:
  • He must return the diamond and diamond armor to whomever he stole it from.
  • If he truly can't comprehend why one should not take other people's valuables (and my 7-year-old on here does), then he can only play on this server while you are there with him. If, on the other hand, he can comprehend this concept, then he must apologize in this thread.
  • Any more intentional theft or destruction will result in a ban.

I hope I don't sound too harsh, but I am taking this stance because it doesn't seem to me that he's being honest. As the OP, I have to protect the other players. But I also want to give him a second chance, so he can learn from this and enjoy the server.

If I am misunderstanding the situation, I apologize, and welcome more information or advice/ideas.

My thoughts:

1. He started playing today.
2. He has no pickaxe (iron or otherwise) to mine diamonds.
3. He has a diamond and three pieces of diamond armor. I verified this in his player data.

16:56:07 <dchsknight4213> how did you get the diamond armor so fast?
16:56:26 <tomfoolery_79> what do you mean
16:56:52 <dchsknight4213> Your character has diamond armor on. Did you just start today? How did you get the diamonds so fast?
16:58:28 <tomfoolery_79> ive played on here before 7monthes ago
16:58:45 <dchsknight4213> when maps reset so does all your inventory. the maps has switched 2 since then
16:59:01 <tomfoolery_79> my dad just got home gtg

4. Instead of saying he found it in someone's house, or crafted it from someone's diamonds, it looks like he's claiming to have already had it. When that's shot down, he leaves.

Sorry, I don't see how a 9-year-old can confuse "I started with this" with "I found this."

Since we're running vanilla Minecraft, I unfortunately see few options for this situation. I'm stuck with all-or-nothing without better tools from mods. I don't want to ban the account (since I can't distinguish who's logging in), so...

Your son can have one more chance. In return:
  • He must return the diamond and diamond armor to whomever he stole it from.
  • If he truly can't comprehend why one should not take other people's valuables (and my 7-year-old on here does), then he can only play on this server while you are there with him. If, on the other hand, he can comprehend this concept, then he must apologize in this thread.
  • Any more intentional theft or destruction will result in a ban.

I hope I don't sound too harsh, but I am taking this stance because it doesn't seem to me that he's being honest. As the OP, I have to protect the other players. But I also want to give him a second chance, so he can learn from this and enjoy the server.

If I am misunderstanding the situation, I apologize, and welcome more information or advice/ideas.

1. I said I would talk to him about the situation.
2. Did I say he doesn't know taking other people's stuff is wrong? I said I don't think he realized it was other people's stuff.
3. I did mention he's 9 right? You are getting up in arms about someone who is still trying to figure out his multiplication tables.
4. Why are you keeping something "so valuable" in publically accessed storage? Don't answer that, just something to think about. That said, maybe you have to, I have no idea how the game works.
5. Remove him/me/tomfoolery_79 from the whitelist, so everyone is happy.

Lastly, he put the gear back in a chest in CowRocket's place. I hope this is the right place/person. He was sure he put it back where he got it.
I don't want to sound harsh either, I apologize for that too. God bless and godspeed.

Last edited:
:( I get the feeling you are pretty offended by this. Please do not take this personally. It is not a personal attack.

1. I said I would talk to him about the situation.

I gave you more facts so you could be better informed about the situation than "he said this," "he said that." Also, it showed what I knew so you could hopefully understand my response.

2. Did I say he doesn't know taking other people's stuff is wrong? I said I don't think he realized it was other people's stuff.
3. I did mention he's 9 right? You are getting up in arms about someone who is still trying to figure out his multiplication tables.

"Up in arms"? You feel I'm being that hostile and threatening, akin to someone ready to fight with loaded guns? I wanted to be fair and firm, but not hostile. I'm sorry you got that impression.

4. Why are you keeping something "so valuable" in publically accessed storage? Don't answer that, just something to think about. That said, maybe you have to, I have no idea how the game works.

I might as well answer that, so you know more about how the game works. People had them "available" because 1) we trusted each other and 2) they may not have had any other option. There is a hard-to-obtain chest that is secure, but not many people would be able to make those. I have already "thought about" this, and I have started giving them out, in light of this situation. Bringing this up here sounds like the defense "it was so easy to get, it's your fault I took it," but I don't think that's what you're meaning to say.

5. Remove him/me/tomfoolery_79 from the whitelist, so everyone is happy.

I don't think that would make everyone happy (not him nor myself, for starters). I think this is sarcasm or just fatalistic, and I already addressed this anyway. Banning is not my first choice - learning and 2nd chances are preferable to me.

Lastly, he put the gear back in a chest in CowRocket's place. I hope this is the right place/person. He was sure he put it back where he got it.

Thank you.

All I know about him is what I can see in logs/player files. I went on that information. It does not show what is going on behind the screen, but it's all I have. You said he's 9, so I based my expectations on a comparison with my 7-year-old. Again, comparing kids is inaccurate, but all I can go on. You know him better than I do, so you can see if I am wrong in my perception -- I cant. I did say I welcome more information, and I meant it.

I spent some time playing with him this morning, using my wife's account to see a more natural reaction (aka, no "Oh no, it's the server guy!"). He seems friendly, and of course young. He asked permission to do things in my area, so I see he is trying to do the right thing. I enjoyed the time, and I am glad he is still playing.

Sorry dchsknight, I debated a while, and decided to delete your post. I hate to do it, because I really don't want to be a censor... I don't want to imply you shouldn't have your say.

I deleted it mainly because it was going to start much more of a fight (due to the wording) and I think you were focused on something that wasn't really the issue.

Yes, from what we saw, the boy was not admitting that he stole. I don't think his dad is arguing that stealing is okay (though his point 4 could be taken as a defense/excuse). The dad's definitely not arguing that his kid wasn't stealing (see his point #2). I haven't been able to think of why his kid would think everything is his or is fair game, but we won't find out if we bash them over the head with something like "stealing is wrong and everyone knows right and wrong." Also, your line "If your kid ... then there's something wrong with him." is going to set any parent off.

Like I said in my reply to Tomfoolery, the kid is asking for permission now, so there is evidence that the "talk" has helped and the situation is improving. Please, let's see where this goes.

And please don't be mad for my deletion... I really do hate to do it and really don't want you angry with me, but I didn't want gasoline thrown on the fire. (Sigh... I'm more comfortable playing with configuration files and issues with server stuff, and not used to this mediation and issues with people. :D )

As for "What's with the lists?" I do believe my post was the first list in this series. :)

Sorry dchsknight, I debated a while, and decided to delete your post. I hate to do it, because I really don't want to be a censor... I don't want to imply you shouldn't have your say.

I deleted it mainly because it was going to start much more of a fight (due to the wording) and I think you were focused on something that wasn't really the issue.

Yes, from what we saw, the boy was not admitting that he stole. I don't think his dad is arguing that stealing is okay (though his point 4 could be taken as a defense/excuse). The dad's definitely not arguing that his kid wasn't stealing (see his point #2). I haven't been able to think of why his kid would think everything is his or is fair game, but we won't find out if we bash them over the head with something like "stealing is wrong and everyone knows right and wrong." Also, your line "If your kid ... then there's something wrong with him." is going to set any parent off.

Like I said in my reply to Tomfoolery, the kid is asking for permission now, so there is evidence that the "talk" has helped and the situation is improving. Please, let's see where this goes.

And please don't be mad for my deletion... I really do hate to do it and really don't want you angry with me, but I didn't want gasoline thrown on the fire. (Sigh... I'm more comfortable playing with configuration files and issues with server stuff, and not used to this mediation and issues with people. :D )

As for "What's with the lists?" I do believe my post was the first list in this series. :)

We are all good sir. If you feel that was what was needed then alright!

(Sigh... I'm more comfortable playing with configuration files and issues with server stuff, and not used to this mediation and issues with people. :D )
Man, do I know that feeling well. :)

Don't worry, Josh. You are not alone in that regard.

Back