What to do when someone is hacking

Plankeye

Question:
What do I do when someone appears to be hacking on one of the servers?

Answer:
First and foremost, follow the rules. Do not make public accusations that they are hacking.  Do not belittle the person by making comments about how "hacking is lame".  At this point, your actions are just as offensive as the person that is accused.

Do make contact with an admin.  If one happens to be on the server, this is as simple as a single message saying "Plank, can you keep an eye on so and so".  This is a far cry from spamming each round that "so and so is hacking".  Or even better yet, if you have the admin in your friends list, contact them privately through it.

If an admin is not readily available on the server or through friends, try contacting them through IM to see if they can jump on the server.

If there are no Admins available, your only other option is to record a demo of the accused along with a condump.  Zip it up and contact one of the Admins through email.  If it is too big for email (typically this is anything over 1 MB), please feel free to contact me about getting some FTP space to temporarily host it.

Unlike someone swearing or blasphemy, telling if someone is hacking is not always black and white. There are gamers out there that are very good, seasoned, have fast connections and good hardware.  As Christians, should we chastise them for being fortunate?  Absolutely Not.

Because of the subjective nature of hacking; Admins will always take the stance of innocent until proven guilty.

If they are truly found to be hacking, the admins will ban them.  We have no tolerance for cheaters.  They will lose out on this great community.

I bring this up because the Admins have been noticing a increase recently of public accusations of hacking by our members. And although the rules are clearly posted in the message of the day on the server, they are being ignored.

This should be stickied. Nice thoughts Plank. You might also want to explain how to record a demo and do a condump. And I also have an ftp up and running if anyone needs space to host its no problem just IM me and I can get you a pass to logon and upload whatever or download.

Great suggestion on the demo and condump instructions. After work, I will look at adding them to thread (unless one of our many gifted CS scripters would like to chime in). I'll see what I can do about getting it stickied too.

One more thing, Because you have medium/low end hardware, doesn't mean you can gain skills in CS. Just because your opponent has a way better videocard and CPU then u, doesn't mean you can't headshot him. I own a Radeon 9000 pro, (which i overcloekd a bitty bit) can still headshot some people who own ATI Radeon 9600XT/9800XT, and GeForce FX 5200 etc. Don't get discouraged because some one headshot you, and has a better score.

So best way to do, is contact a skilled player (mostly admins) and ask him to watch the player, and response may differ, such as he is not hacking, but skillful, but if admins are sure the player is hacking, i believe it results in an automatic bann (or, abusing the hacker plan, greatly shown example by some admins
biggrin.gif
)

Commands for recording demos from your console:

record <file name>
stop

Demos are located in your game folder with a DEM file extension. This folder is usually:

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\your_account@something.com\counter-strike\cstrike\

But may very depending on where you installed steamed and of course your user account.

With a demo recorded, the other important information is to get the Steam ID.  The easy way is to issue the following two commands from the console:

status
condump

The first command lists the players on the server along with their Steam IDs.  The second command creates a file called condumpXX.txt in the same folder the demo file is located.  The XX increments everytime you dump the file so you may have to refer to the date the file was modified to find the correct one.

Both the demo file and condump file are required to be included in the message to the admins and should be zipped.

Remember that hacking can be very subjective.  The admin may need to let other admins take a look at the demo and give feedback (meaning providing a demo will not always result in an instant ban).  Of course reviewing the demo can take time.  It is upto the discretion of the admins to ban the acused directly or wait for further review before banning.

I don't comment much on the boards (i talk too much in game) but i would like to say that a lot of us toj have been bantering each other back and forth, in gest. While we recognize this is in good nature, be aware of your surroundings and set the example for those who may be ignorant of our fun relationships.

To all members of ToJ. If it isn't already clear enough, there are no acusations of hacking on the server, even in jest, period.  If this is not clear, it will be when you get banned from the server.

I don't know how else to get this through to everyone.  I know the admins generally join the server to have a good time with everyone else that is on, and this is usually the case. Although we are admins that are responsible for maintaining order, I ask everyone what benefit it serves having admins responding to someone everytime they cry wolf?  It detracts from the game, causes strife between the admins and general gamers/members and is just plain stupid that I even have to bring this up when all it requires is a little self discipline by the parts of our members.

I know everyone has heard something similiar from their parents, "but just because they do it on other servers" is exactly the reason why we don't do it on ours.  We are Christians, set apart from the rest of the secular world because of our relationship with Christ. This means we do things differently then the rest of the world. It also means we hold our members to a higher standard than that of the average gamer out there.

Having played with the members of our competition team, I know they are extremely good. What do we show the rest of the world when we say "Hey goose, turn them off" or "crenix is hacking again" even if in jest.

If this was the first time I had ever experienced Chistian CS before, could it be interpretted by me that Christians are okay with hacking?

Should we not be a transparent witness to those coming on the server?

I mean we are already held not to swear, blasphemy or spay inappropriate material.  Should we not also lift up and praise our fellow gamers instead of belittle and acuse and let the admins deal with actual problems?

i love being accused of hacking. it's a great compliment. although it hasn't happened for a while

doh

sealcomm:blues:

i need some help with binding the commands. can anyone type out exactly what i need to type in the console to bind record and stop please

k here's what i have
smile.gif

add the following lines wherever in the userconfig.cfg or config.cfg file in <C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\email@domain.com\counter-strike\cstrike>

bind "key0" "stop"
bind "key1" "record demoname"
bind "key2" "record demoname"
bind "key3" "record demoname"

This is what I have
bind "F9" "stop"
bind "F10" "record flash0"
bind "F11" "record flash1"
bind "F12" "record flash2"

So if i press F10 key in-game, it'll start recording a demo named, flash0
smile.gif
and press f9 key to stop. U can add more keys for recording demo, but make them so they are named differnetly. If you have a sweet knife kill but if u don't save it somewhere else, and leave it flash0 or whatever, then u have a chance of overwriting it and that can be annoying. I usually make a folder named "Demo" and rename them to something like knifekill, or ownage or whatsoever and move them in.

i use number pad 8 (bind kp_uparrow "record dbkilla###") then ###'s is the demo number, because i record everything i do, and demo over it if its not that good.

i use number pad 9 (bind kp_pgup "stop") to stop my demos.

When i like a demo i take, i just use bind kp_uparrow "record dbkilla###" and change the ### up one.

Now for the hacking. Sometimes if it is sooo incredibly obvious, i cant help myself, and i do accuse... but it is rarely sooo incredibly obvious.

I can usually tell a hacker, from a good player.

If i suspect someone, u will usually see me switch to spectator and u can bet i'll have a demo running. While i demo, i usually run amytal to see what kind of leagues they r in, and if there clan has been suspended.. and if the clan is suspended.. u can usually see the reason. (ie. cheating)

Anyone can ask me to keep an eye on someone, i'll b happy to watch a bit when i die, and switch to spectator if i think its a possible hack. I'll also inform an admin.

DBKiLlA.
smile.gif

email the admin and tell them u have a demo to send them. Then arrange a time where u could send the file using one of the IM.:)

Dont forget you can submit any demo to steambans without passing it by an admin first. Join our group
tounge.gif

Back