What are your thoughts ?

Maddmedic

Court Throws Out Death Penalty from Bible-reading Jurors

03/29/2005

Religion Desk - 651-631-5000

DENVER (AP) _ Colorado's Supreme Court has thrown out a convicted killer's death sentence because jurors consulted the Bible during deliberations.

The court said the Bible passages, including the verse that commands ``eye for eye, tooth for tooth,'' could influence a typical juror to vote for death instead of life imprisonment.

The justices ordered Robert Harlan to serve life in prison without parole.

Jurors had sentenced Harlan to die for raping and murdering a cocktail waitress in 1994. Defense attorneys challenged the sentence after discovering five jurors had looked up Bible verses, copied some of them down and then talked about them behind closed doors.

Hmph.

Funny how we have to swear to tell "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth" when we testify, but the Truth is not allowed to be consulted when making a decision about a man's life.

[toj.cc]WildBillKickoff said:
Hmph.

Funny how we have to swear to tell "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth" when we testify, but the Truth is not allowed to be consulted when making a decision about a man's life.

In Canada, you still swear to tell the truth on the bible. Is this the case in the US as well still?

I have one word to describe these people (not the jurors, the judges that overturned the sentance):

H Y P O C R I T E S

Gods_Peon said:
In Canada, you still swear to tell the truth on the bible. Is this the case in the US as well still?

I have one word to describe these people (not the jurors, the judges that overturned the sentance):

H Y P O C R I T E S

Yes they still swear upon a bible here.....

Back