What are you currently reading?

ppar3566

I am reading Goethe's Faust. Have finished part 1 and about to start on part 2. Equal parts funny, tragic, enlightening, and confronting. Very interesting take on a western Christian parable.

Also reading Swan's Way by Proust and just finished possible the best fiction book by a Christian author ever in Dostoyevsky's Notes from Underground.

What are you guys reading at the moment?

Erm, Overcoming Procrastination, by Neil Fiore.

...I haven't started reading it yet. xD

I am reading "When I Don't Desire God: How to Fight For Joy" by John Piper. It is a book about Christian Hedonism, both a liberating and devastating doctrine

I am reading "When I Don't Desire God: How to Fight For Joy" by John Piper. It is a book about Christian Hedonism, both a liberating and devastating doctrine

Interesting. Being a die hard fan of Oscar Wilde and Thomas Moore's Utopia this might be right down my alley. Thanks!

In passing have you read Moore's Utopia. It is a very thought provoking idea of Christian hedonism. Though clearly idealistic it is so very interesting pointing to how an appropriate pursuit of pleasure both leads to God and to morality.

Fiction...Christian: Horror, Suspense, and Fantasy... http://www.teddekker.com/ He has a on going chronology that is like 15 books long, most of which can be read by themselves and enjoyed, but if you read them all you get a big amazing picture...it is called the "Books of History" Chronology, and is the most amazing "series" I have ever read...and it is still going...

I am more a fan of classics though I do plan on reading Robin Hobbs new series but I might take a look at these. Being is Aus you don't really get access to Christian books like you do in the US. I was amazed last time i was in the US that boarders had a massive Christian music section. Such a section is non-existent in the boarders over here.

I just got done reading 'Horse Soldiers' by Stanton; it's military non-fiction and am now reading 'Treasure Island' by Stevenson (I never read it as a kid).

I am more a fan of classics though I do plan on reading Robin Hobbs new series but I might take a look at these.
I read through the first two books of the Farseer Trilogy (also by Hobbs), read a small chunk of the third, then stopped reading. I just lost interest.

For my next "guilty pleasure" book, I picked up Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind, enjoyed it, then purposely spoiled the second book for myself (and glad I did, based on the summary I read) so I wouldn't continue the series.

I'm also reading bits and pieces of The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks (How many Terrys write fantasy novels?) here and there, but I'm also reading The Cat from Hue, which was a gift I received a few years ago but hadn't start reading until recently.

I also read a few manga series, including Bleach and Naruto (both of which are vastly superior to their anime counterparts).

I read through the first two books of the Farseer Trilogy (also by Hobbs), read a small chunk of the third, then stopped reading. I just lost interest.

For my next "guilty pleasure" book, I picked up Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind, enjoyed it, then purposely spoiled the second book for myself (and glad I did, based on the summary I read) so I wouldn't continue the series.

I'm also reading bits and pieces of The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks (How many Terrys write fantasy novels?) here and there, but I'm also reading The Cat from Hue, which was a gift I received a few years ago but hadn't start reading until recently.

I also read a few manga series, including Bleach and Naruto (both of which are vastly superior to their anime counterparts).

For me Hobbs is holiday book crack (not very good but addictive).

I am enjoying my current on train reading ATM though. I have on my to read list:

Several Dostoyevsky novels, Camus' The Plague, Satare's Nausea ,

You're missing out. The Sword of Truth series is very enjoyable to read. Realistic characters. Great plot. All enshrined with intriguing magic. The series even has a good ending.

I'm currently reading the Night Angel series by Brent Weeks. I'm on book three, and it's really putting the series together nicely. It's one of the darkest fantasy series I've ever read, but I'm finding myself concerned for the characters and wondering where the plot will lead.

I'm also reading the Jon and Lobo series by Mark Van Name. It's a scifi book exploring the conflict and technology five centuries in the future. Very cool.

Lastly, I'm reading an Anatomy and Physiology book. Boy oh boy, we sure are awesome machines!

I bought 'Crime and Punishment' and 'Notes from Underground' and am looking forward to reading them very soon.

Has anyone on here read any Orson Scott Card - Sci-Fi, like Ender's Game series or fantasy, like Enchantment?

I've also enjoyed reading Bernard Cornwell - I'm currently in The Winter King - the first of his Arthur series. He has written a ton of historical fiction, as well.

I'm currently reading The Amber Room by Steve Berry on my breaks at work. I would read at home but I found a mint copy of Final Fantasy 8 and 9 at a yard sale, and I just finished 9 and working on 8 right now.

I bought 'Crime and Punishment' and 'Notes from Underground' and am looking forward to reading them very soon.

My strong advice would be to read Notes from Underground first as this provides a kind of orientation or textbook to reading the rest of Dostoyevsky's other works. I just brought an early 1900's copy of Poor Folk and The Gambler which I plan to read but it is hard as it is fragile and not something I want to take on a train.

Notes from underground is my fav book of all time along with Kafka's The Trial.

PS when you have read them let me know what you thought. For my mind Dostoyevsky is the greatest writer of all time and his Christian life is very encouraging and thought provoking.

Last edited:
Currently reading Hocus Pocus by Kurt Vonnegut. Everything from his I have read has been good and this is no exception, I would call him the best satirist of his time.

Last edited:
Back