We need a dedicated server, please help!

A very important message concerning this will be posted here and on the facebook page in the next day or two...

Hello everyone, I have some very important and pressing news to share with you today.

When I first started this server it was for just me and a couple of friends. We rarely had anymore than 2 people on at a time. During this time I ran the server from my really low end laptop and we had no issues.

However, as I shared the info that I was running a Minecraft server, the numbers grew, and before I knew it we had over 10 people, with 3 to 4 on during peak times, and my laptop just couldn't handle it. So I moved the sever to the computer I was using as my web server. While it did not have good specs, it ran the server a little better.

Well, before too much longer we had 20 people, and 4 to 5 people on during peak times, and my web server just didn't have the specs to keep the server form lagging. I had to move the server to my gaming computer with really nice specs.

Right now, we have 43 people, and anywhere from 7-9 people on a peak times, and an AVERAGE of 4-5 people on at ALL times. While my gaming computer can handle this load just fine, during peak times I cannot even play Minecraft do to it causing server lag. So much so that my overall gaming time has had to drop because doing anything outside of web browsing causes the chat to spam with people complaining about lag.

All in all the server has outgrown any personal setup...from the internet connection, to the personal machines. We have NO choice but to move to a dedicated server. This is not something I can afford by any means, having a family to support, and no current income. And the server is already costing me at least $20+ in electricity just to keep my gaming computer on all the time.

Just like with any other Chapter of the ToJ, the ToJ will provide things (such as servers) to the players as long as the players are donating to ToJ. Hosting a MC server is NOT cheap. Here are our 2 options: we get enough donations for ToJ to get us a dedicated server, or someone with a dedicated commercial internet line offers to host the server.

If one of these 2 options do not happen by Sunday, February 6th, I will only have two options: Move the server back to my web server (which would cause heavy lag if anymore than 3 people were on), or stop the server. I don't want to see the server stopped due to all those who enjoy it, and all the work I have put into it, but I am running out of options.

Well, that is all, and I hope everyone can understand what ever happens in next two weeks...

Sincerly,
XionTawa

Last edited:
Why not just rent a server? we could get a sweet server for less than $150...that's a lot for a game still in beta

Why not just rent a server? we could get a sweet server for less than $150...that's a lot for a game still in beta

I don't care what we do, it's just I have NO income...I have been taking out loan after loan just to pay my bills...there is nothing I can do here... :(

There are two choices for players wanting to keep a Minecraft server online:
  • As a chapter, collectively donate $31.34 a month at a minimum (and that will only provide 6 player slots; a 10-slot Minecraft server runs $38.90 a month). Goal based on Art of War Central pricing for Minecraft servers.
  • As a community (meaning all of Tribe of Judah), collectively donate an additional $130 per month to rent a dedicated server which would be used to run servers for Minecraft and several other popular games (e.g. Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Unreal Tournament 3, Counter-Strike: Source, etc.).
Either option will lead to the Minecraft server staying online and moving from unofficial to official.

Holy beans. I should have kept my Minecraft server from AoWC running.... gosh..... they really up'd there prices... i had a 10 slot MC server for $12 a month >.>

http://www.xenonservers.com/

20 slots for $15 a month. I believe i have a friend who rents from them, and their reviews are pretty good.

Not bad i'd say.
If we can find 3 members willing to donate $5 a month each or 1 member willing to donate $15 a month (or 1 member willing to donate $10 a month and another willing to donate $5 a month--or whatever combination), we can rent the server.

If members don't donate, there's the risk of the server going offline.

It's unfortunate, but it takes money to operate servers. I don't think GameServers.com, Art of War Central, or Xenon will give us free servers just because we're Christians (and they shouldn't; they're running a business, not a charity).

I just don't see where that money will come from, most players won't be donating (I think) because
A1) they don't know
A2) they think someone else will step up at the last moment and they will get to ride the gravy train.
B) they don't have the money to spend
C) they don't care/ will just find somewhere else to go play.

I really like our server, and XT your doing a great job, but I just don't think its viable to keep the server up. So far the players haven't said anything as to whether they will donate to keep it running.
They could have at least have said something by now, like they will think about/work on it.

Just my opinion though.

I just don't see where that money will come from, most players won't be donating (I think) because
A1) they don't know
XionTawa's done a great job of broadcasting the message. The only other suggestion I would have is to set up a recurring message to broadcast the need for donations to migrate the server (while preserving everything players have built) to a new home and keep it online. Maybe have it repeat once every 15 minutes--often enough that people are unlikely to miss it during their session but not so frequent that it's intrusive or obnoxious.

A2) they think someone else will step up at the last moment and they will get to ride the gravy train.
The "last moment" is coming up fast and no one is stepping up. It's unfortunate, but it may take taking the server offline to drive the point home: It costs money to run a server.

B) they don't have the money to spend
This is a valid point. Many people (myself included) are unemployed right now and in no financial position to donate. Others are struggling to get out of debt. I'm not asking those members to donate--I never have. I ask those who are employed or have a regular income (don't want to leave business owners out, after all) and already regularly tithe to their local church to help fund Tribe of Judah's growth.

I have never implied that God is obligated to bless you if you donate to ToJ. I've never coerced or manipulated people into donating. I simply state how much money we need, what the money will be used for, and we stand to gain by additional donations. This situation is no different.

C) they don't care/ will just find somewhere else to go play.
I would hope that a game like Minecraft, where your buildings and projects stay on the server on which you build them, would build player "loyalty," but I suppose as long as there's a free alternative, some people will just hop from server to server.

Trouble is, those servers also require funding. I'm sure XionTawa's server isn't the only one that started small, grew, and is now in danger of closing if members don't donate to keep it online.

I really like our server, and XT your doing a great job, but I just don't think its viable to keep the server up. So far the players haven't said anything as to whether they will donate to keep it running.
If the numbers Joshinator posted are accurate, it would only take $15 in donations per month to keep a Minecraft server online. With the amount of activity the server has seen, I'm surprised 3 people haven't stepped up, said, "Yes, we'll donate $5 a month," and made the server migration happen already.

They could have at least have said something by now, like they will think about/work on it.
It's the same problem I'm facing trying to raise funds for ToJ to rent a dedicated server. :(

Back