Warhammer Anyone?

SamIam

Hey, some of us WoW players are trying out WAR. If you're interested, we're on the Abhorash beta server.

You can look for my toons:
Samage
Saminator
Samolation
Samgineer

...or send me a PM here.

As added incentive, Shuranda is trying it out as well. So, if you miss her come say howdy.

I played it last night, I was significantly unimpressed...

The best way to describe what Warhammer Online smacks me of is to go play Diablo II for a while and then switch to Hellgate: London. Nicer graphics, but nothing all that new and many things that are more limiting than those found on WoW.

I've been thinking of picking up the retail version to try with my cousin, but after reading all the impressions off of gaming sites and you guys, I'm beginning to have second thoughts!

I've heard other comparison that say it's got the same awesome RvR (pvp) element as DAoC had, for anyone that played that.

I've been as far as the starter area, but hadn't actually done any questing yet. The interface seems very similar to LoTRo/WoW, but a little more cluttered. As with any new game, there is a bit of a learning curve, but it has a lot of the same commands as most other MMOs.

The graphics seem on-par with SW:G. I have the options set at balanced - makes decisions to give decent display and decent frame rates. I haven't played with display options yet.

The developers said they weren't trying to beat out WOW. Instead they wanted to take one aspect and "perfect" it. That would be pvp. Although you can pve through to max level, it is designed to be about 80% pvp.

The graphics are more akin to LOTRO than WOW, other than that I don't see a comparison. The UI is totally configurable and you don't need endless addons to play effectively. Jr., I don't know where you get the Diablo comparison from; WAR is nothing like from what I remember. I haven't played DAoC, but have read lots of comparisons/similarities as far as basic game design goes.

Bottom line, if you like pvp, you'll enjoy this game.

from what I remember of Diablo, WAR is nothing like it. WAR still has the 3rd person, over-the-shoulder perspective as WoW. There's also a 1st person view, but I never played with it.

I never played H:L, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

I played WAR a bit more last night, and it's been growing on me rapidly. Not even a week ago, I told Sheri that I wouldn't start a new MMO, but picked up a beta key just so I could play with her. Now I find myself strangely compelled to cancel my other accounts and open a WAR account.

Not to say there aren't problems with it, but there's enough to draw me in. to me, WAR does seem like DAoC2, with a lot of improvements over the base client. The story seems just as deep as WoW, the gameplay is a little better, but I'm facing some nasty video problems (no worse than in WoW, I suppose... my system crawled on the lowest settings...been a large source of my annoyance for years now)

I've read several reviews (Yes..I know they are not as trust worthy as first hand experience nor do they speak for all people) and nothing I read got me very interested. However, if we were not working on Zul A now..I'd probably be bored enough to come over and test it out for myself.

I might anyways..I don't know.

I won't be going to it. One of the best things about WoW to me is the accesibility for low end computers, video wise. It is also one of the greatest keys to its success, in my opionion. When a laptop with a video card on the motherboard and only 1 gig of ram can run it on XP, that is accessable to everyone. My home Computer would run Warhammer without a problem, of course, but I am not going to split what playing time I have.

Also - I am still having a blast in WoW. I understand those who are bored with it of course, but that just isnt me. Maybe its because I have had some enforced breaks due to a widely varying work schedule, but I still find a lot of fun things to do within the game while waiting for the expansion. For example, I am currently finishing leveling my lock (67 at the mement) and simultaneously getting my druid some serious pvp gear (specced battle healer at the moment). I have definately found I can directly influence an AB or EotS game with his healing. Its a kick to actually make an impact, especially when I keep 3 dps'ers alive through an onslaught of our horde friends.

I gave it a try last night and ran into lots of performance issues.., but I'm not sure how much of it is my hardware vs. theirs. After turning down my Videos settings to balanced I still had issues though it was a little better. So I can't really give an honest first impression of the game. I did notice that in the RvR events the lag issues seemed to go away.. I also tried playing at what I assumed were off-hours vs. peak hours and it was lightly more playable. I may test out some different, lower populated servers and see with happens.

I can say that the graphics look good and are more realistic looking then wows.

System specs: (A bit dated)
OS Xp, sp2
Max3 Ic7 MB 800mhz fsb:
p4 3.06 cpu: (hyperthreading)
2 gig of d-channel ram:
Ati x1950gt 256 ram:

It's probably about time for me to upgrade my MB, ram and cpu.

Danny

Last edited:
There is a fair bit of lag and "slideshowing" in large open pvp battles. It can be quite frustrating when playing a melee class. However, the game is only 2 weeks old so it should improve with time as they start tweaking things. Adjusting setting to "fastest framrate" and turning off/down other settings help.

I'm playing on:
OS Xp
Dell dual-core, 3GHz
3gig RAM
Nvidia 8500 w/ 1gig vid ram

Things are bearable with what I have- unless I found out they'll do nothing in the future and this is as good as it gets. Can't imagine that being the case, though.

I do truly enjoy the game. The battlegrounds, world pvp, keep assaults/defense, etc, is what it's all about- and it is done pretty well. That's saying something coming from someone who strongly disliked WOW pvp. All I can say is don't compare the two. If you like the concept of pvp, WAR is for you!

I'm really enjoying WAR, but I'm facing performance problems in large-scale RvR also. Everywhere else in game, including the scenarios (battlegrounds for you WoW folks) run just fine.

I found this thread on the warhammeralliance.com forums explaining how to build a WAR-ready PC. I'm still digesting what's here and debating on what I'm going to do. At the very least I need to get to a dual core processor.

Missing you guys - come on over and visit us on the WAR side if you want a change of pace!

Back