War in Kryta Speculation

OrryW

We know where the Shining Blade's base of operations is in Talmark Wilderness, but what about the White Mantle.

Given that there are White Mantle forts in Watchtower Coast, along with an incredibly high concentration of Peacekeepers and White Mantle elites(what I am calling the War in Kryta versions of the classic Mantle soldiers) it would seem that this would be a location for the Mantle's base of operations. Thoughts?

Well.. theoretically the White Mantle has been dealt a crushing blow by our efforts to eliminate Mantle leaders and the near extinction of the Mursaat, their unseen gods. So their headquarters could be anywhere or non-existent since their chain of command has been all but destroyed.

Well.. theoretically the White Mantle has been dealt a crushing blow by our efforts to eliminate Mantle leaders and the near extinction of the Mursaat, their unseen gods. So their headquarters could be anywhere or non-existent since their chain of command has been all but destroyed.

Confessor Isaiah leads the Mantle and Head Inquisitor Toriimo is in charge of the inquisition. 7 years have passed since Guild Wars Prophecies as far as story is concerned, they've had quite a bit of time to rebuild while we were busy with the Stone Summit(Sorrow's Furnace) Shiro (Factions) Abaddon (Nightfall) The Great Destroyer(Eye of the North) and R.O.X. P.O.X. and N.O.X. (Zinn's Task)

I may be mistaken (I haven't read everything), but I thought that the war in kryta was imbedded in the games timeline to take place at about the same time as a prophecies character begins adventuring in Kryta. So we haven't beaten the murasat yet, and may not even know the truth about the white mantle yet.

I may be mistaken (I haven't read everything), but I thought that the war in kryta was imbedded in the games timeline to take place at about the same time as a prophecies character begins adventuring in Kryta. So we haven't beaten the murasat yet, and may not even know the truth about the white mantle yet.

No, it takes place after Eye of the North in 1079 A.E (Prophecies takes place in 1072, EotN in 1078) You can't even access the new content unless you have beaten either Eye of the North or Prophecies.

Speculation eh? I think GW will be invaded by the other MMO's to try and stop GW2 from being released. However, due to the inability for them to change servers they will have to create new characters and get stuck in Pre-searing where they will be pwned by noobs and our very own LDoA.

Seriously though, I would expect at best a new Mission of sorts to give a good wrap up to GW. It would leave GW2's mark on the game and be an ever present push for GW2.

At least we can expect a couple of quest where we tip the balance of power toward Salma and the SB. Hopefully it will be an all out attack on the White Mantles newly establish base... assuming they have one. I just hope it does more than litter the country side with White Mantle and Peacekeepers. That would be lame.

-Proph.

Last edited:
This may be as good a place for this as any. The War in Kryta May 3 entry is a little unsettling to me. They may have lifted that entry straight from history. Though it has happened several times I am sure, the closest one in history to us is the awful anti-Japanese hysteria in the opening days of WWII. Yes it is only a game, but the quotes in that entry are very much like some of the Japanese American statements at the time and since. GW developers have truly tapped into the nasty side of man.

Aye, I'm with you Ursen. When I read over the dialogue and the actions of the WM it was very reminiscent of Japanese Internment. Which I think is a... I don't want to say a good move, but I have more respect for Anet because of their knowledge of American history.

The May 4th update hints at the reeducation camps by the Communist Party in Vietnam.

" the crowds of villagers and farmers who attend Lovisa’s sermons have been gathered by White Mantle troops, collected from their fields and homes whether they wish to come or not."

There is definitely a religious overtone too maybe mixing the modern and medieval actions of both Christianity and Islam.

"The common folk are then “encouraged” to raise their voices in song to praise the White Mantle, self-styled saviors of Kryta, and to contribute what meager offerings they can afford as the tithe platter is passed around. Those among the gathering who are judged to be lacking in generosity and piety are often singled out after Lovisa’s visits for further encouragement and, if necessary, reeducation."

I think what they are trying to touch on is our basic instinct to desire freedom and to fight any form of control. Using both religion and political topics brings a large spectrum of opposition for gamers to rally against and maybe put a little passion back into Guild Wars. They are using the common enemy approach.

But, less about why and more about what. I really hope to see some big events. If LA turned into a playable mission I would be pumped. If GW2 is still pretty far off maybe they will incorporate this same system into Nightfall and Factions. I would love to have some more information on how the Sunspears and Order of the Whispers grow/diminish like they are doing with Queen Salma and the royal line of Doric.

-Proph

Last edited:
But, less about why and more about what. I really hope to see some big events. If LA turned into a playable mission I would be pumped. If GW2 is still pretty far off maybe they will incorporate this same system into Nightfall and Factions. I would love to have some more information on how the Sunspears and Order of the Whispers grow/diminish like they are doing with Queen Salma and the royal line of Doric.

-Proph
I think we'll see that more in expansions to GW2. In GW2 we are cut off from Cantha and Elona and Anet said they might "re-open" access to them in future updates/expansions/games. So with that in mind I think they'll focus more on the history of Tyria (Proph/EotN) than Factions and NF.

But there is a multitude of things they can do for those campaigns.
Factions:
Rise of the Jade Empire
The Luxon/Kurzick split
The Luxon/Kurzick/Canthan unity

Nightfall:
Rise of Palawa Joko
Rise of Varesh
Sunspear control of Elona
History of Vabbi

etc.

What I'm hoping is that the War in Kryta will become a pseudo preview of the dynamic event system in GW2. Not sure how they could pull it off, but it would be neat if they could ^^

Back