Upcoming Developer Planned Changes in Professions

Taran

Below are some garnered posts on the official forums from ArenaNet Developer's comments. They were collected so that I could get a better picture about what they are planning in the future months for our professions (no official time frame was given). Any profession not listed is due to not having any information. I tried to get as much as possible from "official statements" rather than speculation or player comments. After compiling the list, I thought I would share here what I had so far:

Warrior:
Agreed! 100 blades needs to be changed, but other things need to be changed to compensate.

Good points, but the reason we sometimes adjust the “unplayed” specs is to provide build diversity. Banners are one of those specs that we’re trying to adjust slowly to provide a whole new build for Warriors. This doesn’t mean we don’t care about other specs, we’re just trying to do things slowly.

In the coming patches we have plans to give the Warrior: more resistance to movement hindering conditions, the ability to punish boons, and we want to improve some of their specs that are out-shined by 100 blade’s.

Ranger:
I’m noticing a lot of people wondering and estimating the size of attacks, durations, and things like that… I will talk with our balance team to see how they feel about adding more detailed skill facts to the spirits. We’re aware that spirits need more than just skill facts – we’re working on resolving that as well.

And yes, Ranger spirits are in the same boat as Warrior banners. They were VERY powerful before ship, but after changes, they are on the lower end of the power curve right now. So they’ll be slowly adjusted over time to bring them back up as well.

Engineer:
Go turrets! Someone asked me to post my turret build, so this seemed like a good place for it:
http://www.gw2build.com/builds/simulator.php#1.4.8.0.0.0.33.0.0.0.80.94.85.86.102.8.8.12.228.234.0.0.0.0.256.0.0.276.271.0.289.291.0.20.0.10.20.20

It’s not perfect, but it opens up some interesting play possibilities, especially while stunned. I don’t have a stunbreaker in this build, but I can still swap kits while stunned, which allows me to pop a clutch magnetic aura while being pelted with projectiles, or a magnet bomb to interrupt a melee spike.

I don’t love fighting rangers honestly. Though I’ve got multiple magnetic auras to reflect projectiles, and a lot of ways to stall for time and keep them off a capture point. So I can give them a good long fight, and even occasionally get the victory.

Ultimately Kit Refinement was too powerful as a tier 1 trait, and so far we’ve been avoiding swapping the tier a trait is in. Other considerations were improving the weak kit refinement skills on Bomb Kit and Med Kit, reworking the really strong skills of Grenade Kit and Elixir Gun, and also any kit refinement proc that gives a skill that’s already on that kit, like the Caltrops on Tool Kit.

No, we’d rather it not feel random and I agree it no longer has synergy with Speedy Kits. The cooldown was just an unfortunate trade off we needed to make to keep it balanced as a tier 1 trait.

Yeah, separate cooldowns was on the table, but it put the trait into the a little too powerful category. It’s entirely possible that we’ll revisit this trait again at some point, but for now that’s why it is the way it is.

Thief:
As we played with the stealth changed mentioned in the SotG, we recognized that in conjunction with the change to culling this was an unpredictable change to make. We also felt that it was too big of a hit to these stealth professions, so we ended up pulling that change in favor of just increasing revealed duration by 1 second.

Mesmer:
We found out that showing only player names in settings helps a lot with tracking the real mesmer!

- - - - - - - - - -

So that's what I have so far. Hope that helps you plan and play your professions. :)

The warrior boon hate ability discussion honestly has me a bit concerned - I've been reading some anet posts as well. It seems like it would be an easy way to provide an Achille's heel to all Guardians, but I'm wondering how it will affect group dynamics (who would possibly want a shout-build Guardian in their group ever again? aka "Stop buffing me!").

And not just Guardians. Eles and Mesmers can do a lot of group boon application as well.

The current meta D/D Ele build relies on boons to get enough damage while still speccing into self defense, and I'm sure it's one of the main targets of this boon-hate idea.

All in all, boon-hate seems like a very heavy-handed attempt to counter some of the boon-oriented bunker builds that are popular. If it's strong enough to matter, it's going to make people avoid using boon builds, which doesn't deepen the meta, it just changes it. What are you going to do as a boon-reliant build when faced with a boon-hate warrior? Run away, I guess. But better not use swiftness to do so.

Seems like if boons are too buff at the moment, they should just tweak the professions that use them heavily so that they can't be applied quite as fast or don't have as strong of an effect.

Creating a true rock-paper-scissors balance where each build is hard countered by another seems a lot less interesting than giving us the tools to soft counter with smart play in the moment. Then again, the former is probably a lot easier to design.

Last edited:
I laughed out loud when I read your comment: "Run away, I guess. But better not use swiftness to do so."

I agree that hard countering specific builds is much less interesting - it's a very WoW-ish approach, aka "you must choose a lock to be able to do xyz in pvp" or "resto is the only viable etc etc"

In theory I think the boon hate (within reason) could be good. Right now, as far as I understand it, ele is easily the best profession in sPvP with guardians in at #2. Warrior is the worst. Boon removal, within reason, could do a lot to help this...though I agree it's lazy. I just don't see it working well in practice, though. I hated RPS mechanics in GW1 PvP, main reason I never got into it. My main issue with RPS is that it just creates a dumb situation 1v1. Being able to totally shut down another player sounds like it might force teamwork, but in reality what it creates is a very rigid meta-game.

Yeah.

I think adding more boon removal would be better than boon-hate. Boon removal at least has some tactical play involved. How long do you let someone stack boons before you use it? Too early, and it's on cooldown while the opponent keeps getting more powerful, too late, and you may be seriously hurting before you knock down your opponent. Passive boon-hate, where someone simply does more damage to opponents with boons, seems like a dead-end.

Back