TV Shows on DVD

Wh1te Out

I won a rocking portable DVD player at a work Christmas Party last night (retails for $399.99 and is top of the line.. woot). Now I'm looking for a TV series that I can get into that has DVD releases because 1-hour episodes are perfect for when I'll be using this player the most. I've heard lots about Battlestar Galactica (the new Sci-fi Channel version) but have never seen it, and I'm leary about buying something without watching it first. I'm also interested in Charmed since I love that show. I'm looking for something in the fantasy genre or historical drama (like HBO's Rome) genre. Any ideas?

Battlestar Galactica is a great show
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis
FireFly
Star Trek (in it's many, many variations)

Let me add anime to my list of possible choices. I know this one will warrant some recommendations, but please don't overload me with only anime suggestions. I only will consider quality English dubbed DVDs. I do not like subtitles and nothing is going to change my mind. With that being said, keep 'em coming. And thanks for the idea so far!

Kidan, I've always enjoyed the episodes I've watched of Stargate SG-1. My only fear is that it's so old I would have a LOT of catching up to do - like five seasons worth. Stargate SG1: Atlantis really interests me. Would I be lost, though, trying to watch it and having no background of the original?

What do you recommend?

Mr_Slice said:
Kidan, I've always enjoyed the episodes I've watched of Stargate SG-1. My only fear is that it's so old I would have a LOT of catching up to do - like five seasons worth. Stargate SG1: Atlantis really interests me. Would I be lost, though, trying to watch it and having no background of the original?

What do you recommend?

Actually, SG1 is on like season 9. But the upside of that, is there are a LOT of episodes out there.

Atlantis, doesn't really require that much knowledge of SG1, but there are enough homages to what happened in SG1 to keep SG1 fans happy,

Mr_Slice said:
My beef with Firefly is that it's only one season and it isn't coming back. :(

It came back as a movie, Serenity, which hits DVD this Tuesday. There's also a rumor that a sequel to Serenity could hit the Sci-Fi Channel.

There's always season two of 24, right before things went from silly to preposterous.

SirThom said:
Any season of 24 is good. Can't wait for season 5 in January.

I have to disagree. I think seasons three and four were a little ridiculous. Yes, it was still some of the best TV on, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a little absurd. Season three had some unbelievable plot developments, and season four took the crazy office politics of CTU to a new extreme.

Mr_Slice said:
I only will consider quality English dubbed DVDs.
Unfortunately, there is no such thing as "quality" English-dubbed anime, only series that don't compel you to stuff your ears with live jellyfish to shut out the horror that is English dubbing. If you have an honest interest in exploring the best of anime, I recommend:
  1. downloading a BitTorrent client
  2. bookmarking AnimeSuki
  3. clearing several gigs of space for downloads
  4. purchasing a DVD burner
  5. purchasing Nero
  6. purchasing a 25-pack of DVD-Rs or DVD+Rs
  7. YOU GET TO BURNING! (It's funny if you've watched Nadesico, trust me.)
That aside, I'd recommend the following licensed series for purchase:
  • Read or Die TV
  • My HiME (not sure if it's been released in the US yet)
  • Nadesico
  • Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex
  • FLCL
  • Full Metal Panic
  • Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu?
  • Samurai Champloo (WARNING: 17 and over only)
  • Trigun
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Jubei-chan
Now for series that people will tell you are good, but, in reality, are not:
  • Dragonball Anything
  • Pokemon Anything
  • Love Hina
  • .hack//SIGN
  • Serial Experiments Lain
  • Rurouni Kenshin (slideshow fighting is bad)
  • Escaflowne
  • Berserk
A last word of advice: learn to love subtitles. The gap between Japanese and English voice acting talent can not be overstated.

Tek, are those shows listed on your recommended list all blessed with a good plot? The story is a big kicker for me if I'm gonna watch something with subtitles. I don't just want pretty drawing. :)

For those of you who enjoy both, which do you prefer: Battlestar Galactica or Stargate SG-1?

Kidan said:
Actually, SG1 is on like season 9. But the upside of that, is there are a LOT of episodes out there.

Atlantis, doesn't really require that much knowledge of SG1, but there are enough homages to what happened in SG1 to keep SG1 fans happy,
So much <3 for Stargate.

My wife and I have watched all episodes that have aired in the US and Canada (this includes episodes 11-14 of the second season of Atlantis). SG-1 dropped off after season 5 (IMHO) but remains one of the best sci-fi shows on television; the second season of Atlantis has been excellent so far.

There are a lot shows that are worth purchasing and watching through all together. Like you said the new Battlestar Galatica is great and my new favorite Sci Fi show on Television.

Great to own.
Stargate (lots of seasons)
Stargate Atlantis
Battlestar Galactica
Firefly (Just picked this up myself, great series)
Simpsons
Family Guy
Futurerama
Rome (When it comes out)
Deadwood (If you can put up with a lot of cursing)
Dead Like Me

Its all about the Space Ghost! best episode is the batman episode of volume 1. Do it, you know you want to...

It is kind of dryer random humor. Not something you would sit down and watch with full attention(though sometimes I do). Its more of a pop in a DVD while kicking it with friends. Its awsome

I have to disagree. I think seasons three and four were a little ridiculous. Yes, it was still some of the best TV on, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a little absurd. Season three had some unbelievable plot developments, and season four took the crazy office politics of CTU to a new extreme.
Well, I can't vouch for season three. I saw season four, and I'm in progress of watching season one. I thought both were excellent.

</mytwocents>

=)

Mr_Slice said:
Tek, are those shows listed on your recommended list all blessed with a good plot?
A brief review of plot priority in each of the recommended series:
  • Read or Die TV: Excellent plot, fantastic characters, wonderful writing. I recommend picking up and viewing the Read or Die OVA DVD for some background first. It's not necessary, but it helps lend emotional weight to events later in the series.
  • My HiME: This series is great up until episode 15 (especially episode 5) and absolutely shines in episodes 16-26. My wife and I agree that My HiME and Read of Die TV are the two best anime series ever. If you watch My HiME once, make sure you watch it again to pick up on everything you weren't aware of the first time around.
  • Nadesico: This series is important if you're interested in the evolution of the "space opera" anime. If you're looking for a light-hearted and whimsical space series that doesn't take itself too seriously, I'd recommend Nadesico. There is an overreaching plot, but the series leaves several questions unanswered. Nadesico is one of my personal favorites, but I seem to be the only one among my friends who loves it.
  • Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex: I've only watched the first 19 episodes of GitS: SAC, but so far, there is no overreaching plot. Each episode is designed to stand on its own, thus the series name.
  • FLCL: People either love or hate FLCL. I adored it. Bizarre art styles, stranger characters, and hilarious humor (IMHO), FLCL is six episodes of mad fun (or, if you prefer, fun madness). There is an overreaching plot, but good luck trying to figure it out on the first viewing. This series is more about style and fun than intrapersonal reflection.
  • Full Metal Panic: The cliffhangers in FMP are awful (in an oh-so-good way), so you should just buy the entire series and set aside some time to watch entire story arcs in one sitting. It isn't the deepest or most involved plot, but the series is less about plot than about character dynamics.
  • Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu?: No plot whatsoever. This is a wonderful light-hearted comedy featuring the characters from FMP, but without the military action of its predecessor. A great choice if comedy is your goal.
  • Samurai Champloo: Again, this is not for younger audiences. Most Samurai Champloo episodes stand alone, but they're so entertaining that it really doesn't matter. As in Cowboy Bebop, you'll be nearing the end of the series and think, "Are they going to resolve this?" The three-episode series ending is some of the greatest anime I've ever watched and helps save Champloo from repeating Cowboy Bebop's greatest mistake. If you can look past the inappropriate content, then you're in for one of the best anime series of all time. WARNING: DO NOT listen to the English dubs for this series. The English voice actors they picked for Mugen and Jin are horrible choices and sound nothing like their characters. One of the best things about this series is the voice acting; the Japanese voice actors make the two main characters come alive.
  • Trigun: Good plot, great humor, good characters. Trigun and Cowboy Bebop are like the Aretha Franklin and Sam Cooke of anime: no one dislikes them and they've got style in surplus.
  • Cowboy Bebop: Excellent series, but don't expect much development in regards to Spike's past or his relationship with Julia. My one complaint about the series is that it doesn't answer many of the questions it poses and the few answers it gives feel rushed. If you only watch one episode, watch "Mushroom Samba," one of the funniest episodes of anime ever.
  • Jubei-chan: This is a comedy series, but there is enough of a plot holding it together to keep it interesting. There are some moving scenes in this series (watch episode seven!), but humor is the overall focus.
Mr_Slice said:
I don't just want pretty drawing. :)
Which reminds me: If anyone is interested in a series with gorgeous art and doesn't mind a storyline that tries too hard to be "deep," then I wholeheartedly recommend RahXephon.

Back