Try Em All!

Bro.T

A recent vent discusion has got me to thinking about play styles. In that discussion, it was agreed upon that it is good for someone to know what they play style is; what works for them and what they excel at, and by the same token, to know which ones they stink at. I, for instance, have always gravitated to a tank/frontline DPS type with an occasional slide to ranged DPS types.

With that said, I was sitting here a couple of days ago reviewing the different class selections in WAR and trying to decide which classes I wanted to invest the most amount of open beta time to. Most of my selections, as you would probably guess, fell within the above class types.

Then if occured to me to wonder why I was compelled to play those types of characters in the first place. After some thought, it was clear that there are two primary reasons. The first is pretty easy to conclude, but the second has something worth talking about. I'll list them below:

1) Good ole alpha male personality type-anyone who has taken any kind of psycology course would quickly classify me as a class A. I wanna be the guy out front, dealing out the damage, making the killing blow, you get the idea. Even when playing ranged DPS I stuggle with managing agro, in fact, I'm even willing to admit that I am actually trying (maybe sub-consciously) to take it, so everyone knows who is really dealing out the punishment.

2) Class limitations within the game-basically this is not being able to do what your class is designed to do, without having to rely on someone else. For instance, if I were to ask you what class type you can solo with, you would all have some pretty clear idea's on that. Or, if I was to ask about the best 3v3 or 5v5 make-up, again, there would be some specific combinations mention with at least one of the classes being one that was not mentioned in the previous instance. If this were questioned, the answer would be something like, "oh, this class really excels in a group".

What I'm getting at is this; WAR has got me thinking that it may well be more a game mechanic/class viablility limitation within the games we have been playing than any predeliction dictated by personality.

Why can't every class be great in a group? Why can't every class excel solo? Think you stink at healing? Maybe you don't! Maybe it was a limitation within the class.

Did you avoid rolling up a Shammy cause, while they could do alot, they couldn't do any one thing as well as another class? Well, all you missed out on was not getting invited to a group because they didn't need another off-healer or off-tank. If the class were truly viable, should that ever even happen?

Ayway, I'm still tossing it around in my head and I haven't settled on very much except this last thing. I'm going to wipe the slate as far as my own "play style". I'm going to give every WAR class a try. Who knows? Maybe inside me there's a great healer just waiting for the chance to shine!

Last edited:
LOL, I think it was you and I having that discussion. I played a several different toons in MMO's over ther years and decided that with WAR, I would not be a healer again. (WoW whack a mole healer anyone?) So I have tried a MDPS class, the Witch Hunter. It was fun, got top DPS in a scenario, but wasn't really my playstyle.

I tried a Warrior Priest, although it was fun, just didn't have the "hook". Then I tried a Runepriest and had a blast with it. It was a very entertaining class. Even though it was similar to teh "whack a mole" style, RvR made it a whole lot different. It is one of four that have made my list.

The other is an Ironbreaker (I like Dwarfs, what can I say). Tanks are viable in RvR. they are fun to play. Vengeance (DPS) spec is very useful and so are the other two. I also liked the Swordmaster.

The otehr class that stood out ot me was the Bright Wizard. Played right, they are great glass cannons on the battlefield.

Any class can turn the tide in a battle if played right, which is why they work in WAR. I am still up in the air on what I will play upon release. Choices in order so far are:

1) Ironbreaker
2) Runepriest or Bright Wizard (tied, they are both just fun).

I have to admit I came to WAR wanting to change my class play style.

Now having played every class but White Lion, I find my self drawn to too many classes to count!

I agree that everyone should try multiple classes maybe even a few you didn't like. I also suggest both factions during our test time. I found by playing against classes I see what I like and don't like.

Right now I plan on playing three classes to 11 healer, tank, ranged DPS then deciding which I prefer. This will also allow me to take server and guild needs into account.

Most important for me will be having fun.

War characters are def. worth trying out. last nite i tried a engineer. i had sworn i would not like it, but i love playing it. i have now narrowed it really to 4 classes--lol
warrior priest, bright wizard, engineer, and sword master. really like them all.. hope in a few more days i can land on maybe 2 to give attention to at first and then come back and play others...LOL My ADD shows up in my game play!!

Boy, I hear that.

The nice thing with multiple character syndrome in WAR is that the leveling curve isn't huge. Mythic has stated that they're not looking to make the climb to 40 long and drawn-out. I think it's going to be much easier to have several max-level characters than it was in WoW. Granted, I'd like to stick mostly with one to work my way up to higher Renown Ranks for those goodies, but having a few different characters at 40 to choose from will probably be very feasible.

Back