Trouble just doesn't leave me alone X(

Flashon

Got me a new computer a few weeks ago, and we're all happy, my sister has a better machine and i got me a crazy power house built and ready, and boom the old computer stops working. *bangs head on the wall*

Problem, is that the Monitor doesn't receive any signals from the machine at all. Monitor is tested on at least 3 differnet computers and works fine, so its not that. It would hang up and not even proceed to boot windows. My question is, would the computer continue to boot w/out the videocard detected/working? or is it supposed to hang up like this. I can't even press power to shut down, i have to hold the power button for about 5 seconds to manually shut it down. Reset works, i've checked all the cables.

is it a CPU/RAM problem? I don't think so, but can it have an effect on the videocard?

is it a HDD problem? it doesn't seem to be under load and would that stop windows from loading and hense not getting anything on the screen? I know i had a defected SATA drive and it still booted.. so i don't think this is it

Videocard? my guess but i want more confirmation. This machine doesn't have an on-board videocard so the AGP ATI 9600 XT is all that is. would the videocard stop the booting process? can it be a cross Videocard/harddrive problem at the sametime?

Also, is there a chance that Power supply is dying?

Help!
-Flash

ps: btw happy valentines day, gee i hope everyones having a better day then me.

edit:
specs are
Intel P4 2.0Ghz
512 ddr ram
160gb hdd (ide)
ATI radeon 9600XT
Creative Audigy 1 Gamer

previous to the death of the system, certain weird stuff like sound dying happened also.

Last edited:
First off I would remove the video card and insert it back into it's slot. If it requires extra power hookup (mine does 9800XT) use a different power connection from the power supply. If you can test your card in another computer do it.
If the card is ok then it might be loose memory. reinsert them. or take one out at a time to try to see if one is bad.
If the card and memory is ok. It may be your motherboard or cpu if you have a completely blank screen. Does your fan run on your cpu. If not then it could be your cpu is burned up.
If your drive is down. It should at least show up something on your screen. A burned out cpu doesn't or a motherboard failure doesn't or video card failure. Do you have another video card of any type laying around (maybe a friends) and put it into your computer.
Wally World does returns.

Back