Too funny not to share

Wolfeman

Normally I avoid anything with the Osteen name on it but I really respect Bill Cosby and wanted to see how he responded to this. I think he uses humor to hit the nail dead on the head.

[video=youtube;00-6OyXVA0M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00-6OyXVA0M[/video]

I agree that was a bizarre (keep responses truthful but polite people) statement from Osteen, random Cosby clip aside.

Last edited:
Is that a fail? Or just plain dumb? Or is it both in epic proportions?

Man. I feel like this is the kind of thing I could reply to on Facebook without too much thought, but I better walk on eggshells replying to it here.

Instead of addressing Osteen directly and speaking in negatives, I'll address the Christian faith and speak in positives:

Suffering is guaranteed. God is less concerned with your individual happiness and more about His glory and His kingdom--and we better be so very glad that He is. Because we have nothing--NOTHING--to offer God that He didn't first give us. He does not owe man anything but wrath, which makes it all the more amazing that He would show us mercy and grace and bring us near to Him.

I've seen people who I went to Seminary with get touchy when someone (not me) criticized Joyce Myers or Olstein. They've commented on how important those people were in the early stages of their walk with Christ. For me, I am disturbed that someone in the early stages of their walk are being exposed to this false gospel. Yeah, it might make you feel good it might even get you through a rough patch, but it's not the saving power of the real Gospel of Jesus Christ. We must direct people to the Gospel but we must do so in love. (I try to in love, it just doesn't sound like that sometimes...)

Last edited:
I did not intend to start a debate or hurt anyones feelings. I just personally like the Bill Cosby clip and found this to be a particularly apt use of it. I've seen the same clip with the Billy Madison answer clip added and it's not near as funny to me.

(Personally I feel the Osteens are worse for Christianity and The Gospel than Westboro because people at least recognize wacked out nut job when it's wrapped in hate but seem to embrace it when it's wrapped in love)

For the record, I thought the video was hilarious. I then immediately felt slightly guilty for laughing since false doctrine is a very serious issue.

But yes, I laughed.

I don't believe there is a debate among those who've posted so far. We all agree that the Gospel is so much bigger than "your best life now."

I thought it was funny too, but also amazed that anyone with even a passing knowledge of Scripture could accept this kind of sinful tripe. No debate it is the worst kind of teaching that a young in the Lord Christian could receive. Yes God loves us, but as part of that love, and wanting us to become more like Him, demands that we die to self in order to live like Him. A very difficult concept for the average person to embrace, no need to encourage the opposite of the "die to self" concept.

I also loved the clip. As with ursen, it amazes me that anyone with a passing familiarity with Scripture could swallow that tripe.

The clip reminds me of a sign I saw at a Universalist Unitarian Church in town: "Love is the only doctrine of this church."

My IMMEDIATE thought was, "Okay, now define 'love.'"

EDIT: Well, okay, maybe my first thought was, "Rubbish," but the other thought followed very closely after.

Back