To all the experienced druids out there...

Kevin

I know, I post one of these every month, so we'll see if this druid sticks around. (= But I was leveling a druid, and going to go feral. I'm ok with DPS in instances, but I think I'd also like to try my hand at doing the MT/OT thing, and I was wondering what kind of gear is good in each circumstance. I hear that agi/str is good for kitty, and for bear I'm looking for agi/stam and LOTS of armor, since they don't have shield block and the like. Anyone have anything to add?

You won't see it yet, but you'll need to pick up Def gear for bear. Obviously the Armor, Stam, Agility is huge as well.

For cats, it seems that +hit/crit/dmg, Agi is your best. Str isn't bad as it adds more AP than Agi, but the Agi gives crit & doge..maybe armor? (having trouble remembering the details. I'd look, but the server is down for maintenance)

Defense is also important. I know some try to argue that armor beats all, but I know our healers tell a different story. Defense reduces or nearly eliminates the chance to be critically hit by a mob. The amount you need varies by level and by spec. At level 70, to be technically crit immune, you need the spec that decreases crit by 3%, and have a total of 415 defense. Without that spec, you need 490 defense. Of course, at lower levels these numbers are different and may not even matter much due to the level of incoming damage.

Note: I say technically immune, because there is a very very small chance that a crit will land no matter how much defense you have. Its around 0.001% if I recall correctly. Also, there are certain bosses who have been 'crit buffed' so that they have a higher amount of crit than normal. As I understand it, having a higher than maximum defense won't help any more in these fights, you just have to realize that you will get hit with a crit from them. Fortunately there are very few mobs like this.

I now officially blame Angie for making my productivity at work drop to zero for about 3 hours. (= Thanks for the links...makes me want to skip out on work early and go level! (= I think I got a much better idea of what needs to be done, I think for the last few questions I'll just have to nab Holly in-game to ask her a few very specific questions. If she doesn't mind a nooblet drood bothering her. (=

My druids defense sits at usually 428-430ish. 415 is your goal -- having a buffer zone of collecting gear with more defense is not bad because as you get better gear you will find the only pieces that have defense on them pieces such as rings, necklaces, cape..etc. My druids gear is very well balanced atm, I have none of the tier gear yet as I keep missing those rolls by few...but, I will have to give up defense for anything new I take..which I probably wont even wear until I have two pieces unless its shoulders :) or gloves.

In anycase, if you look at the druids tier gear, you will notice a nice collection of ALL stats, some stats are not important but they all do come together for overall mitigation. Stamina and defense should be your number one priority, followed by strength, agility and dodge rating. good luck.

Holly, strength before agility? Is that for threat generation? I had heard that agi may only give 1 AP instead of 2, but it also adds a small crit and dodge, making it slightly better for a tank.

No, im saying the second priorities are strength agil and dodge.
you want the defense and HP first.

Alright, makes good sense. One more question: How would armor work into all of that? I hear that bear druids are renowned for high armor, and for good reason, but do you go out of your way to get armor, or does it take care of itself, more of less?

Lets say..at this point I dont care about getting more armor..
I am actually getting rid of stuff with more armor for stuff with more stats, primarily defense and stamina pieces, and a bit of dodge stuff.

Gotten rid of a few big armor pieces my druid sits at 23k armor unbuffed. Buffed up 27-28k maybe more. With other gear it can sit at 25/25k.

The reason I choose what I have now is because I have more HP, higher dodge, etc etc. Agility also adds some armor to gear..anyways just check my gear out on the armory i think im in tanking gear.

Oh yeah, I might add this, the gear I am wearing is strictly raid/karaz boss gear..for the most part. Being nearly perfect = slower rage generation, on junk in karaz I swap to some lower pieces and in heroics i wear some of my cat dps gear and swap down gear.. A tank with no rage is kind of silly.

Oh yeah, I might add this, the gear I am wearing is strictly raid/karaz boss gear..for the most part. Being nearly perfect = slower rage generation, on junk in karaz I swap to some lower pieces and in heroics i wear some of my cat dps gear and swap down gear.. A tank with no rage is kind of silly.

You've noticed that too? Sheesh -- right now it's almost like I have to tank multiple enemies to get enough rage to do anything :S

The other advantage of having "down" pieces is that in most cases, they don't cost as much to repair :)

Back