Tips for Project Managment. [For Slackers]

vibrokatana

A small list of observations I have picked up:

1) Realize that your work has value. Even if it seems like a completely worthless piece of junk you would rather be rid of. Chances are someone somewhere will want it.

2) Do a little work often. Often times we tend to delay until the last minute to try and cram the entire thing into a small block of time. This is bad and often leads to last minute issues and passed deadlines. Chances are some parts are really interesting and may be fun, knock these out as you feel it then you will likely end up with a lot of blocks you can put together with a little logical glue.

3) Lay out your plan as soon as you receive (or conceive) the task. Designing things is often the most fun part and will [hopefully] get you somewhat excited for the task at hand. This also gives you plenty of time to engineer yourself out of issues before you have to go back and change a gazillion things.

4) Realize the customer is the most important aspect. From them comes the value in the item at hand. If they have an issue then respond promptly and courtly. A quick and knowledgeable answer means that they are much more likely come back for more and recommend you by mouth to their peers.

5) Don't overengineer yourself to the point where you are spending too much time on a project. Recognize what is needed and what will work best and move toward that. Take TV remotes for example, you may use a dozen or so buttons, but they often have a ton more that you never touch.

6) Identify what distracts you. If you find a hard time doing a task in a certain place try changing your location. Sometimes the most comfortable is not the most productive place. Changing up the location and/or atmosphere can make a task fly by such that you wonder why you delayed doing it. Be careful how you eliminate distractions, often times you will just substitute the distraction for another (possibly worst) issue.

7) Make it fun. The task will only be as bad as you make it. Sit back, grab a mountain dew and enjoy the sugar and caffeine rush. DO NOT promise to do something at the completion of a task as you will often cheat and skip to the reward or do the task half arsed.

Good advice, I hear ya. I particularly agree with number 7 with enjoying the caffeine rush. It's how I get most of mini painting done. About 5 or so odd months ago, I was commissioned for a custom chess set (wooohoo!) and I had a lot of trouble with concentration, I found out that just having some music I like in the background is a great aid in drowning out other distractions.

Back