Thwip! The end of the Amazing Spiderman - SPOILER

Echodelta

Peter Parker dies in the last issue of the Amazing Spiderman # 700 http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/peter-parker-dies-amazing-spider-406380

Let me just say this, I haven't bought a comic book for nearly 20 years. They became too expensive. Comics began focusing on the art rather than the story. Marvel & DC began killing off their main characters then resurrecting them in order to shake things up. Ugh. Well now it's Peter Parker. When I gave the majority of my comics away, I kept about 20. These consist mainly of the X-Men and Spiderman. So in issue # 700, Peter Parker dies. This is from the news reports. I haven't read the comic yet. But I did buy it on the Marvel app for my tablet. It's just depressing that the trend continues. But I think Peter Parker may remain dead this time. We'll see. As a longtime Spiderman fan, I'm not happy about it.

Thoughts?

Hmm.
Unless I'm mistaken, Parker died in the Ultimate universe some time ago and, so far as I know, has stayed that way. "Comic book deaths" are annoying in most cases. A genuine and lasting death of a character ain't as bad, but those seem rare. Without reading Amazing #700, and the comics leading up to it, for myself, I have a hard time commenting on this death in particular, especially without knowing what's to follow.

I know this is pretty much exactly backwards from how most comic fans I know feel, but I'm actually most interested in this point in reading completed series from the '90s. In particular, Azrael, Cable, and Deathstroke were on my collection lists last time I was buying comics. :D

Nice thing about series that end is quite simply that they end; there isn't necessarily a need to keep coming up with new ways to keep the characters/stories interesting without resorting to things like *spoilers*.

They never kill popular characters just their secret identities. Last I read they expressed desires to make established characters Hispanic and gay. Comics lost me long, long ago with a dream never delivered.

Last edited:
Reed Richards will probably find a way to make it all work out in the end.

I'm not happy about it at all, even though I know he'll come back. It was completely ridiculous. Dan Slott should lose his job and all changes since One More Day get reverted to before OMD happened.

He'll be back in time for the next movie Spider-Man movie. Marvel just loves cashing in on their cinematic universe success going as far as making some of the Avengers look like their movie conterparts, and having almost 6 or 7 different Avengers books going on at the same time.

@Kendrik
Deaths in the Ultimate Universe are permanent, 616 deaths are not.

[toj.cc]phantom;469032 said:
@Kendrik
Deaths in the Ultimate Universe are permanent, 616 deaths are not.
First of all, I appreciate that you gave the universe designation. It makes me happy. :D

On topic-ish: Didn't know that Ultimate deaths have been permanent. Good to know, though. I was working my way through the universe in the pre-Ultimate Comics branding line, but I hadn't hit many memorable deaths to know this. I was reading, primarily, Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Spider-Man. I still need to finish collecting those TPBs. :D

I actually found that in DC's latest incarnation of Blue Beetle, making the character Hispanic worked so well.

But the series didn't sell, despite being pretty awesome.

Eh, he'll be back. I think I heard Cap was back and running around again. But I dunno. The only comics I collect anymore are Atomic Robo and Dreamkeepers.

I actually found that in DC's latest incarnation of Blue Beetle, making the character Hispanic worked so well.

But the series didn't sell, despite being pretty awesome.

Really Blue Beatle? Is the character so recognized that they couldn't just come up with a new one instead? BTW it was Ultimate Spider Man I was thinking of when I said they were remaking a character as Hispanic. I also predicted it back before it happened, hmmm I wonder how I did that.

For the record I'm not against diverse characters. I'd read a Hispanic character comic as much as any other race if it was well written and I could relate to them. However I hate it when they change established characters for the obvious sake of being PC or pandering to a certain audience. When they change characters so much all that is left is the name and powers you are just milking them until they cough up blood. Comics can't come up with, or more likely won't push, original characters anymore when they can revamp existing ones for a safer bet. Reminds me of large video game companies except worse.

I'll tell you a story. I once met Martin Nodell, well my father talked to him really, to me he was this half forgotten old guy sitting in the corner of a comic show with his wife. He looked like he was barely eking by doing comic shows living on his greatest past success, the creation of the original Green Lantern, Alan Scott. He didn't have the rights to him anymore but still had the rights to the original logo if I remember right. At one point my Father asked to get a poster signed by Nodell made out to him specifically, by name, to which Nodell replied "well if I make it out to you it won't be as worth as much". My Father said to do so anyway and he lit up! They talked for a bit until his eyes started watering a bit and his wife said he needed to rest. Well Nodell died a few years ago but in 2012 they announced Alan Scott would be reintroduced as a young gay man. I've read people commenting about it saying the media circus put out about such a minor character was inappropriate. He wasn't minor to Nodell, after a lifetime of work he was practically all he had anyone remembered. I don't know Nodell's morals but he was 91 and married to the same woman since 1941. I'm just glad Nodell didn't live to see it but hey them comics make money shove em' out! Who cares what you do with such a "minor" character it's not like you can let a character die gracefully when you can squeeze a buck out of them...

Last edited:
Back