thoughts

kraniac

I have been struggling a lot with bad thoughts recently. Please pray that I find the willpower to withstand them.

Last edited:
Bad thoughts are not conducsive to your walk with God, so we rebuke them in Jesus' name. We ask that your thoughts be aligned with the thoughts that God has for you.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

May God richly bless you and support you in the New Year :)

Speaking as one who has struggled with depression, I'd like to offer a few words that may be of some help.

When a person tells you, "Don't think of a pink elephant," then naturally the first thing you will think of is a pink elephant. My point is that it's very difficult to tell the mind not to think of something. It's far easier to think on other things instead. While I don't advocate "workaholism," I do believe there is some truth to the old saying, "Idle hands are the devil's workshop."

But rather than merely seeking distractions, I give you the advice I myself struggle to heed: Read the Bible early every day. At the least, read Scripture once a day, even if it's shortly before bed. Get into the habit of focusing and (dare I say?) meditating on the Word. Every person sees the world through the lens of their belief system. Reading the Word every day and meditating on its truths help repair and keep your perspective where it should be.

Oh, and don't forget that we have some great resources linked on these forums for daily devotionals, too. Take advantage of them.

While I won't pry, there are two predominant "thought life" pitfalls for young men. I believe daily exercise is helpful to discipline both body and mind and beneficial to combat both types of temptation. Working out spends energy and it also keeps a person moving. Being alone and sedentary for extended periods of time is an unhealthy thing, both for your mental and physical health.

I don't claim to be any sort of authority on the matter, by any means, so take this advice with care. As Paul says, "Follow me as I follow Christ."

Speaking of Paul, I'd like to share one other Scripture for your perusal:

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. - Philippians 4:8

EDIT: And I'll be praying, too, of course. :)

Back