Thornadin

Plankeye

The idea behind a Thornadin is to increase the amount of damage returned during melee attacks. I am seriously thinking of respeccing from Holy/Retribution to Protection to accomplish this. Here is my proposed talent setup for Sandric:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...?50050101000000053051335001051052000000000000

I have the following gear to support it:

Drillborer Disk (3 arcane dmg per hit + Mithril Shield spike with 10-20 per block)
Naglering (3 arcane dmg per hit)
Essence of Pure Flame (13 fire dmg per hit)
Electromagnetic Gigaflux Reactivator (5 nature dmg per hit)
Force Reactive Disk (20-50 dmg per block)

Additional Items I would like to get:

Razor Gauntlets (3 arcane dmg per hit)
Fetish of Chitinous Spikes (25 nature dmg per hit)

So, with my current gear and new spec with Retribution Aura and Blessing of Sanctuary:
20 (ret aura) + 3 (drillborer) + 3 (naglering) + 13 (essence) = 39 per melee hit​

Then figure in blocking with Holy Shield active:
35 (sancturary) + 20-30 (Thorium spike) + 130 (holy shield) = 185-195 per block​

That makes a potential per melee hit of:
39-234 dmg​
Toss in consecration for an additional AOE of 50 per tick.

Of course, a druid could always toss a thorn aura for additional damage. I am an engineer and have several support pieces like Goblin Dragon Gun and grenades for additional AOE damage.

The talent setup also affords a lot of damage mitigation through higher armor, blocking and defense.

I think this might be an awesome farming setup for a pally. Go into stockades and pull 4 rooms, watch them kill themselves, heal real quick and go to the next set of rooms. Plus it would give me Blessing of Kings which is sorely missing in raids these days since protection tree was nerfed so bad with the removal of repentance.

The downsides I see with the build is less healing capabilities (no more top 5 on the MC heal meter) and a hit in PVP ability unless I am fighting another melee class (rogue/warrior/feral druid/shaman/hunter) as my "thornadin" ability requires the enemy to engage me to be effective.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Gods_Peon said:
I think I don't want to touch you
Yea. Youd be a pain in my side! Bahahahahahahaahha....

Youd have to find a way to make the opponent attack you. What happens when you run into a mage or a Warlock, or even a priest.

Odale said:
Youd have to find a way to make the opponent attack you. What happens when you run into a mage or a Warlock, or even a priest.

As I stated, this is not a pvp build but a farming and pve build. I would not duel casters and in group pvp would just heal through the spell damage while group members took them out.

Wow, I am really starting to love this build. The numbers are quite intoxicating for being a pally. I jumped back into Stockades with the Damage meter running, cleared all of stockades in 20 minutes with 6 pulls. New record for me:

I then went on a guild run through UBRS where they let me main tank since the other warrior was only 56. It was an interesting challenge. I think I will have to do a better job getting initial threat by having everyone hold off a second on the pull before engaging. I lost agro one to many times early in the fight and consecration+judged righteousness were not always quick enough to snap the mobs back on me. But I did notice one thing, my damage was through the roof. I also need to work on some more +defense gear as I only have 320 defense ATM. Anyways:Again, my damage is not from my weapon but my reflected damage back. Which became pretty substantial. Being main tank, I lost almost all ability to heal as it required to much mana to judge, holy shield and consecrate. A protection paladin can do an adequate job tanking, but I think I need more practice at it before I would feel comfortable main tanking in a pug. Also, damage meters are hit and miss with things like distance and performing support roles scewing the end result.

To further support this build, I think I am going to focus on picking up the Deathbone tanking set from scholomance.

I am sold. This build and gear rocks for pally damage. Here is a damage meter shot after doing the Stratholme live. I got pulled in after they had gotten to Timmie so I missed a ton of potential undead whooping with exorcism and holy wrath. But I was still able to keep pace with a mage even with all the scarlet crusade casters. Again I would like to thank the guildies for letting me tank and for mirakle for doing a bang up job main healing. That is right, main tank was a pally and the main healer was a pally.

Plankeye said:
Again I would like to thank the guildies for letting me tank and for mirakle for doing a bang up job main healing. That is right, main tank was a pally and the main healer was a pally.

That's awesome, Plank. And yeah, pallies rock.

I was just in a UBRS group with a hunter and a mage, and we ended up clearing the entire first room of the dungeon and all of the patrols in the second room with just us three, and I kept aggro on the pulls pretty well. Occasionally they did get away from me, but for the most part I was taking all the hits.

Those guys hit for 200-300, and only have like a 1.5 second swing. Ouch! But, we did good.

Just a question, why do you have a drillbor disk?

It is a good shield, don't get me wrong, but it has no int. or anything that would help your mana on it.

There's also a trinket from AQ20 (I forget which boss) called the fetish of chitinous spikes. It's a thorns type buff that lasts for 30seconds. I dunno the cooldown, but might help (in PvE) with inital aggro or whatnot.

Paladins can be a pain in the neck for both my 60's. It really depends on their skill and spec. I cannot beat Azzie in a duel. But I have beaten other Pallies.

Back