Theif thread?

Waynos

Unless i overlooked it i didn't see a thread based on the Theif profession

below is the stealth Theif build i found via youtube;
and i wanted some opinions (including what you would change and why)

Stealth Theif
Weapon sets: Dagger/Dagger & Shortbow on second/swappable set
Upgrade Slots: Superior sigil of Air and Ice (one for each Dagger)
Superior sigil of Energy (on Shortbow)

Armor Upgrade slots: Superior Rune of Divinity (1 on each armor piece) Critical Bonuses
Accesories: Beserkers Amulet (for less squishyness use Knights Amulet)

Slots 6-9:
6. Hide in shadows
7. Blinding Powder
8. Shadow Refuge
9. Haste

Elite:
0. Basilisk Venom

Traits:
Shadow Arts 30 (I,VIII,XI)
Critical Strikes 25 (III,VIII)
Trickery 15 (V)

http://www.cgalliance.org/forums/showthread.php?46657-WvW-builds-and-ideas-Thief&goto=newpost

As far as giving advice on your build, what is your goal? There are many varieties of playstyle for thieves and so it is a bit hard to describe based on what you've provided.

It is a fairly generic build where it seems you are going to be stealthing and backstabbing. Will you be going pure damage to enhance backstabs and heartseekers? Will you be using death blossom which needs cond. damage? Also, as far as play style, don't forget that you have plenty of time while stealthed and are regening the entire time. Don't pop out of stealth until you are ready.

Also, basilisk venom is useless unless in a venom sharing build. You're much better off with thieves guild or dagger storm, however, I find dagger storm's DPS to be lacking compared to thieves guild and it seems to be more of a farming tool. Basilisk venom is the only elite that works underwater though so you'll have to use it there. I should point out too that basilisk venom is used in a lot of thief burst builds so that the prey is frozen (unable to do ANYTHING) while the thief takes them down. Usually I don't see so much stealth utility in these burst builds.

Also be aware that ANet is removing some of the burst from this combo. I'm not sure if they've implemented it yet (haven't kept up since I play differently), but it was planned a few weeks ago among many complaints of people helplessly falling prey to burst thieves. For the record, I think it was a good change - no class should be able to burst on a helpless victim for 20k.

Last edited:
http://www.cgalliance.org/forums/showthread.php?46657-WvW-builds-and-ideas-Thief&goto=newpost

As far as giving advice on your build, what is your goal? There are many varieties of playstyle for thieves and so it is a bit hard to describe based on what you've provided.

It is a fairly generic build where it seems you are going to be stealthing and backstabbing. Will you be going pure damage to enhance backstabs and heartseekers? Will you be using death blossom which needs cond. damage? Also, as far as play style, don't forget that you have plenty of time while stealthed and are regening the entire time. Don't pop out of stealth until you are ready.

Also, basilisk venom is useless unless in a venom sharing build. You're much better off with thieves guild or dagger storm, however, I find dagger storm's DPS to be lacking compared to thieves guild and it seems to be more of a farming tool. Basilisk venom is the only elite that works underwater though so you'll have to use it there. I should point out too that basilisk venom is used in a lot of thief burst builds so that the prey is frozen (unable to do ANYTHING) while the thief takes them down. Usually I don't see so much stealth utility in these burst builds.

Also be aware that ANet is removing some of the burst from this combo. I'm not sure if they've implemented it yet (haven't kept up since I play differently), but it was planned a few weeks ago among many complaints of people helplessly falling prey to burst thieves. For the record, I think it was a good change - no class should be able to burst on a helpless victim for 20k.

from what the guy said on youtube;
it is a stealth pvp build using backstab and heartseeker.
the whole idea he portrays is keeping invisible and doing heavy damage.

i have a theif im working on and i am looking for survivability
so i can jump into fights,tank and jump back out of the brawl if i am taking heavy damage

what would you use for the build i am looking for?
could you post a PVE build for leveling?
NOTE: i am low level currently and some skills are not available for me yet

let me know what you think or post a build if you can.
and thanks for your input as well

I thought as much, it looked like quite the sPvP build. The post I made which was linked above is what I use for WvW.

Glass Cannon Build [P/P with SB]: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAqaVlUmyN3dy4E95ExmCgqTPFkVsaPo5LhJA
I would use this build as long as I'm not in Orr. The Risen in Orr move very fast and kiting is much harder. When in Orr you'll want something with a bit more protection. I use my WvW build in Orr because of the stealth and toughtness/vitality. I'd put fire air sigils in my weapons for the extra dps. The premise is basically that your p/p is for single targets and your bow is for kiting mass targets. I would not use this in any other circumstance other than leveling PvE outside of Orr.

Stealth + Healing is nice, but if you are confident then the healing signet is better for this build. The stealth healing is probably better for exploring anyways. I use ambush every time it is up - nice 20s DPS pet. P/P is a initiative drainer and so roll for initiative is nice. Note, you can turn backwards and use Roll for Initiative as short term speed boost. Assassin's Signet for extra damage. I would pop this anytime I am in stealth because it was recently changed to give extra damage to every short rather than just the first. Elite is Thieves Guild because 3 pets are better than 1!

Note, thieves are great for world exploration. Shadow Refuge lets you get all those skill point commune locations without having to fight the mobs guarding it. There was a commune place in Orr with a champ mob guarding it so I walked up to him, stealthed, got it, and got out ... barely took damage!

By the time you get to Orr (actually, the Risen show up en masse in Sparkfly Fen), you would know the character well enough to make adjustments.

Last edited:
great stuff..thanks so much for sharing

i abosultly love skill #3 with dual pistols

Last edited:
What's the general consensus on the thief? It's actually one of two professions I haven't played, either in beta or now. (The other engineer)

I know that thieves generally rock me in WvW, but then again most 1v1 encounters end badly for me. So what's the thief like? If I were to say I had an extra character slot and didn't know what to roll, what would you say to try and convince me to roll a thief? Just for lols :)

i used ingame gold and bought gems which provided me with 8 slots (one for each profession)

at first glance thief reminds me of assassin in GW1.
they can shadow step and stealth (invisibility) for short periods of time.

im lv14 with it now and i am enjoying it so far.

worse case scenario; try it and if you don't like it you can delete it and re-use the same slot for something else
just a thought lol

I only a play a thief. Yup, that pretty much tells you my thoughts on the subject :D Yes, there is a mesmer in my sig, but I haven't started playing it yet. ;)

Yea, that's the same with my signature too. I've only played my Guardian and Ele, and only my ele in WvW. I don't really have a desire to play the thief, I'm just curious why other people do and what makes the thief fun to play

For me, I love the stealth mechanic. You know those things that were popular many years ago about your gaming personality type? I'm heavily skewed towards exploration (and thus by default PvE). For me, doing 100% exploration was the epitome of fun and the thief best allowed me to do that. I loved covertly sneaking under champions' noses to steal skill point communes. I loved being a semi-fresh level 80 running around Orr without fear knowing that I can escape any mob that attempts to pursue me. It is the play style I love.

Unfortunately, that probably means I won't like many of the other classes however. Where as people absolutely love the guardian, I made one and deleted him within 5 minutes after playing around with weapons and skills in the mists. The ranger stayed as a potential character to play and that's why he became my first crafting alt, but it's just not the same as a thief!

I do know that I love playing support classes and so that is why I went with Mesmer for my caster (Priory storyline). Loved playing Cleric and Shaman in EQ1 ... even on private servers too. Necro is an immediate turn off, always has been because of the class theme, and ele's are, in my opinion just damage dealers with little other role. So, as I play Mesmer with my bro-in-law, I intend to play a heavy support role and allow him to run around and enjoy the game as I did when it came out. Hmm, that was a bit tangential ...

One of the best things I love doing in WvW too is lurking on the edges waiting for someone to be at half health, zip in, take them down, stealth, stomp, and get out. I love having the ability to stealth stomp. Maybe I'm just addicted to stealth haha.

But is the thief any good for those whose basic mode of play just to bang the keyboard with their face and hope something good happens?

I would say no, playing thief is not easy unless you are only going to pve to 80 and then grind. But then I would choose a class that has an easier time like warrior or even guardian. I boast no love for playing the guardian class, but they have a much easier time farming.

i must agree Thief is hard..
when using dual daggers if you hit skill #3 (death blossom) at a bad time you can violently launch yourself off a cliff.
I have noticed using dagger/dagger for upclose melee and pistol/pistol for kite on champs and veterans helps me stay alive fairly easy.

i am currently running with blinding powder and hide in shadows to use as a heal/stealth escape when things get rough. (6 seconds stealth between both skills)
and assassin signet for extra power followed by signet of shadows for a 25% speed bonus that won't run out.

the Thief moves so fast i find it hard at times to watch out for red AOE circles on the ground (but that could be just me)

Guardian is almost like a self-healing tank.
i am almost to lv50 and i only seem to get downed when i try to plow through very large mobs where a champ or vet is hiding lol

Guardian is almost like a self-healing tank.
i am almost to lv50 and i only seem to get downed when i try to plow through very large mobs where a champ or vet is hiding lol

I LOVE my guardian! Just reorganized his traits and playstyle from my pre-game conception. I didn't know how they played or what I wanted to do, but I finally figured it out, re-traited and stocked up on shouts. I AM INVINCIBLE! Absolutely love it! The only quibble I have is there is no decent elite for them. The Tomes aren't bad, but they aren't good, and don't sync with anything. Focus isn't bad, nice to have the 3 seconds of invincibility, but my build doesn't use virtues all that much so there's no added benefit of them being recharged by Focus.

But this is the thief thread.. probably shouldn't steal a thread from those who steal for a living :p

STC start a Guardian thread then, I would be interested in knowing if there is a class worth spending the in game cash to get a new slot.

I use Pistol/Dagger and Dagger/Dagger mostly. Some say that the shortbow is pretty epic, but I'm not so sure.

Pistol/Dagger gives you some nice bleed effects, while also giving you an extra evade, which comes in real handy when you need to stay alive. It doesn't output large amounts of DPS, but it'll help you last quite a bit longer. Couple that with the invisibility attack with the dagger, you can quickly bleed, stealth, evade, bleed, evade etc..

Dagger/Dagger just because I feel cool and fell like I'm outputting better DPS.

Shortbow is supposed to be pretty amazing for AoE and speed.

I use Pistol/Dagger and Dagger/Dagger mostly. Some say that the shortbow is pretty epic, but I'm not so sure.

Pistol/Dagger gives you some nice bleed effects, while also giving you an extra evade, which comes in real handy when you need to stay alive. It doesn't output large amounts of DPS, but it'll help you last quite a bit longer. Couple that with the invisibility attack with the dagger, you can quickly bleed, stealth, evade, bleed, evade etc..

Dagger/Dagger just because I feel cool and fell like I'm outputting better DPS.

Shortbow is supposed to be pretty amazing for AoE and speed.

the #3 skill of pistol seems to do huge damage..the shortbow may have that capability but i was hooked on dual pistols for some reason.
i will give pistol dagger a try also..u now have my interest peeked lol

I LOVE my guardian! Just reorganized his traits and playstyle from my pre-game conception. I didn't know how they played or what I wanted to do, but I finally figured it out, re-traited and stocked up on shouts. I AM INVINCIBLE! Absolutely love it! The only quibble I have is there is no decent elite for them. The Tomes aren't bad, but they aren't good, and don't sync with anything. Focus isn't bad, nice to have the 3 seconds of invincibility, but my build doesn't use virtues all that much so there's no added benefit of them being recharged by Focus.

But this is the thief thread.. probably shouldn't steal a thread from those who steal for a living :p

would you care to start a guardian thread and share what you know and have learned?
i am doing okay with mine but i lack knowledge in the trait area
or knowing which traits to boost based on weapon set etc.
and would welcome some friendly advice lol

when using dual daggers if you hit skill #3 (death blossom) at a bad time you can violently launch yourself off a cliff.

This is why I stopped using dagger/dagger. I can't count how many times that has happened to me. If I ever go dagger/dagger again, it will be with a crit build and I will unbind the #3 key :D

Some say that the shortbow is pretty epic, but I'm not so sure. ... Shortbow is supposed to be pretty amazing for AoE and speed.

It all depends on your build and the situation. Shortbow works off pure damage ... 0 damage from bleed effects/poison etc. If you are built for condition damage, it may seem lackluster at best. The shortbow is also one of those weapons with bouncing projectiles ... up to 3 targets get hit for 100% damage. If you are using your shortbow against a single foe, you've cut your dps in third off the top. If you are fighting two enemies with the shortbow, switch targets halfway through the fight for max dps. If you are fighting 3, they'll die pretty much at the same time. Cluster bomb is also an awesome skill for aoe. I'm not sure how many max targets it can hit, but I *think* it is 5? I'm built for cond damage, but it regularly crits for over 1500. 1500x5 would be 7500 damage if you hit 5 mobs. Also, the damage is more reliable if you split your cluster bomb just before it hits the ground, typically doing higher average damage. If I was built for crit damage, it would be beastly. I use it for farming en masse in Orr and rake in the kills (getting 10% of the damage on a group of 10 mobs with 20 people aoe'ing is no easy feat). I'm working on a second set of exotic armor now for a crit build and plan to enjoy the crazy shortbow damage. Shortbow also has 300 more range than pistols ... and cluster bomb can reach even a bit further than 900 ... maybe 1000.

Btw, I use a berserker bow which means it has power/precision (can't remember how much) and 9% crit chance. I also put on a sup sigil of flame/fire (?) which gives another 700ish damage when it procs the aoe fire. Detonating cluster bomb just before it falls gives me a triple chance for the effect.

the #3 skill of pistol seems to do huge damage ...

The number 3 skill of any dual wielding combination is called the dual skill and uses both equiped weapons. For P/P it is unload which is basically 5-6 shots in rapid succession - high damage, but at a large initiative cost. Untraited, you can only do two unloads before you are completely out of initiative. With P/D, the skill is a shadowstep which is good for PvP and WvW, but not as much for PvE. The secret to high damage with P/D is that you use stealth which changes your auto-attack (#1 skill) to a ranged backstab. You fire 4 shots at the target and do just about as much damage as when you backstab with dagger as a main hand and cause bleeding. Now that they changed assassin's signet, you get crits on all shots too. You can stealth using skill #5 of P/D about once every 3-4 seconds after you unstealth which hits almost as hard as unload (P/P skill #3). You can stealth 3 times before running out of initiative untraited, but stealth can also cause other things to happen such as aoe blindness and regen when traited. This is why I also am in favor of P/D over P/P ... there is much more utility and overall more damage than P/P.

Last edited:
I'm just getting started on my thief, after stalling out at 65 with Mesmer (the recent LoS changes are giving me a headache with all the "obstructed" I'm seeing).

I'm seeing a lot of PvP mentioned here, any recommendations on general leveling?

Back