The Peacemaking Church - Session 3 - Nov 17th notes

RyanB

Legacy of Elijah Guild Leader
Key Principle: God uses conflict to reveal our idols.

1. The progression of an idol:

• I ______________.
  • I ______________ -- the birth of an idol.
    But those who trust in idols, who say to images, 'You are our gods,' will be turned back in utter shame. (Isa 42:17)
  • I ______________.
    Brothers, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against his brother or judges him speaks against the law and judges it. (James 4:11)
  • I ______________.
    Now Cain said to his brother Abel, "Let's go out to the field." And while they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him. (Gen 4:8, see Prov 27:15)
2. Expose idols by asking "______________" questions.
Let us examine our ways and test them, and let us return to the LORD. (Lam 3:40)
  • With what am I preoccupied?
  • How would I complete the statement: "If only ______________, then I would be happy, fulfilled, and secure"?
  • When a certain desire is not met, do I feel frustration, anxiety, resentment, bitterness, anger, or depression?
3. The cure for an idolatrous heart:
  • ______________ and receive God's refreshing forgiveness.
    Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord. (Acts 3:19)
  • Worship and ______________ yourself in the Lord.
    Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. (Ps 37:4)

Key Principle: God uses conflict to reveal our idols.

1. The progression of an idol:

• I desire.
  • I demand -- the birth of an idol.
    But those who trust in idols, who say to images, 'You are our gods,' will be turned back in utter shame. (Isa 42:17)
  • I judge.
    Brothers, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against his brother or judges him speaks against the law and judges it. (James 4:11)
  • I punish.
    Now Cain said to his brother Abel, "Let's go out to the field." And while they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him. (Gen 4:8, see Prov 27:15)
2. Expose idols by asking "X-ray" questions.
Let us examine our ways and test them, and let us return to the LORD. (Lam 3:40)
  • With what am I preoccupied?
  • How would I complete the statement: "If only ______________ (blank), then I would be happy, fulfilled, and secure"?
  • When a certain desire is not met, do I feel frustration, anxiety, resentment, bitterness, anger, or depression?
3. The cure for an idolatrous heart:
  • Repent and receive God's refreshing forgiveness.
    Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord. (Acts 3:19)
  • Worship and delight yourself in the Lord.
    Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. (Ps 37:4)

Back