The linux thread

Que Pasa

So, I'm going to install linux on my main desktop today. I've partitioned my hard disk with a linux partition and a swap partition, now comes the fun part, actually installing it. I've chosen the Debian GNU distribution, one spoken of highly by many linux users. Why, might you ask, am I doing this? Sheer curiosity. Now for the lifeblood of this thread, has anyone found everyday uses for linux of any flavor? It's usually used for hosting servers, but I'd like to know what could make Linux possibly as useful as windows.

I'm not an advanced linux user by any means but I'll just share with you what I know.

I have 2 linux boxes, 1 acts as a router that routes my cable connection, the other I use as a workstation.

My workstation, I use blackbox as the manager which allows me to operate about 55+ applications at once without any latency. I use it for typical use such as image editing, browsing and multimedia entertainment.
Unfortunately for production work purposes I have to revert back to my windows 2000 machine but I'm hoping that will change when I'm no longer dependent on 3dmax/flash/premiere

Debian turned out to be a sham, well it just didn't want to cooperate with my wireless nic, and I had to know all of the IRQ addresses of my various system devices off hand to set it up. Not the greatest distribution if you ask me. From ealier times I had Mandrake Linux 9.0 sitting around, so I popped that in and installed it in a flash. Good looking OS, almost prettier than XP. It's going to take some getting used to, and it still doesn't recognize my wireless network card. I hope support for it will come in a later version of mandrake, for now I'm just going to get a super long piece of network cable and run it from the router.

I run Debian, apt is great but then again I don't have wireless but my gigabit works nicely.

Back