The "Be Nice System"

Berstromme

For those new to raiding or even a few old hands I'd like to remind folks what the "Be Nice System" of dealing with all the purple shiny pixels that drop when we successfully down a boss is and how to put it into practice.

This is a long post, you want to raid you need to read this post and understand how loot is distributed in just about every The Forgiven led raid I know of that is currently running.

This is copied extensively from our very own Deedlyt who led many raids and helped shape the policy within SGA. Here is the policy:

Deedlyt's Be Nice (TM) Loot Policy:

I will officially dub my loot policy the Be Nice (TM) policy. The name should say it all, but I'll outline it here anyway.

Given that we are dealing with roughly the same group of people each run, loot shouldn't be that big of a deal. We will be running the instance many many times, and we will all get what we need out of it as we go. No need for drama. Still, it's always annoying if one person ends up winning items each week and other people don't. Here is the Be Nice part. General guidelines on how to Be Nice...

* What you think is "right" or "fair" might not be the Nice Thing. I think fairness is very important, but you have to remember that we are playing a game with other humans. We are all imperfect and we don't all view things the same way. Even though something may be technically fair, I think we get a lot further by doing the Nice Thing and bending over backwards to make sure others are happy. Remember, what goes around comes around. If we foster a climate of sharing and caring in the SGA, everyone wins.

* If you win something uber, pass on other uber stuff until others get a chance at uberness. Example, Deedlyt wins Shadow Bolt X. It would be Not Nice to roll on the next Warlock Grimoire that drops in AQ. Another example, Deedlyt wins uber trinket in MC. Pass on other Uber item that drops in AQ that week. Yes, it's true that my runs aren't connected to MC or Onyxia, but the people I run with there are generally my companions in ZG and AQ. Your class-mates know what items you have been winning and it does often foster Bad Blood if you seem to win epics all the time everywhere you go.

* Before rolling on an item, take into account other people's needs. Sure, that item might be an upgrade for you, but how often do you use an offhand sword? Yeah, that healing mace is super nice, but you're feral, right? This isn't saying that you shouldn't ever get that item, but it would be nice if the people who will best use it get it first. Remember, you will be running with these people lots. It's in your best interest that they get geared. And don't worry; you will get your shot at that item next time around.

* Deedlyt (and any raid leader) reserves the right to force Niceness. I've never before had to give anything other than a gentle hint to anyone as to what the Nice Thing is, but I still reserve the right to say, "No Pali, you can't roll on that uber cloth healer gear when it is such a big upgrade for our priests." I hope that if I ever step on toes in the pursuit of Niceness that you would kindly whisper me and point out the error of my ways. I'm not perfect and I'm always keen on fresh insight. This isn't to say I will always agree with you, but I can promise I will take it into consideration.

As you can see not many hard and fast rules. I hope that we can all trust that we can do the Nice Thing as the situations arise. I think historically we have had no problems and I don't foresee any in the future. After all, it's mostly Nice People in the SGA

Please feel free to chime in and offer support, flames, feedback, or whatever. Until modified though, you can assume that all raids 10/25 man that I lead will be conducted using the policies outlined here.

You still reading? GOOD! Here is Kirk's practical guide to living the Be Nice System:

Here's my take on how BN should work, in general:

1. Have I won uber loot on this run?
Yes: Don't roll, unless no one else needs it.
No: Next question

2. Am I playing my main toon?
Yes: Next question
No: Don't roll, unless no main toon needs it.

3. Is it a significant upgrade for the roll I'm consistently raiding in?
No: Don't roll, unless it's a minor upgrade for all.

4. Is it something I'll use on a regular basis? (How often do I really raid with my off-spec?)
No: Don't roll, unless no one else will use it.

If you make it through all the questions, roll with a clear conscience.

Last edited:
For those new to raiding or even a few old hands I'd like to remind folks what the "Be Nice System" of dealing with all the purple shiny pixels that drop when we successfully down a boss is and how to put it into practice....

* Deedlyt (read Apollux) reserves the right to force Niceness. I've never before had to give anything other than a gentle hint to anyone as to what the Nice Thing is, but I still reserve the right to say, "No Pali, you can't roll on that uber cloth healer gear when it is such a big upgrade for our priests." I hope that if I ever step on toes in the pursuit of Niceness that you would kindly whisper me and point out the error of my ways. I'm not perfect and I'm always keen on fresh insight. This isn't to say I will always agree with you, but I can promise I will take it into consideration.

I hope that we can all trust that we can do the Nice Thing as the situations arise. I think historically we have had no problems and I don't foresee any in the future. After all, it's mostly Nice People in the SGA

Please feel free to chime in and offer support, flames, feedback, or whatever. Until modified though, you can assume that all raids 10/25 man that I lead will be conducted using the policies outlined here.

/Signed, supported, and will "enforce" if need be. :)

Signed, supported, and will "enforce" if need be, so bob u can not role on the mp5 gear that the priest can wear as a tank :D

Back