System overheating..

ByblosHex

My is 2 years old and up until now hasnt ever given me any trouble. THe trouble started as my Cd drive not working, I checked it out and the power connector wasnt in all the way and was causeing an electical buzzing sound. Yeah thats bad, so I pushed the plug in all the way.
Power gets cut off. THe system doesnt shut down, the power goes off. Im thinking uh oh. I unplug the power cable on the power supply and plug it back in. Power goes back on, Whew.

Turn on the PC and start to play a game. In the middle of playing power gets cut again. I open the PC to see if any more cables are partially connected or whatever. I tough the power supply and OUCH the thing is like a pot of boiling water!

So I unplugged all my power connections and plugged in only the necissary ones, my Mobo and HD and turned it back on. THe termperature of the supply has cooled down some and everything seems ok.
My question is, Where can I get a free program or does windows have one that can teel me about all my connectors and if theya re half connected, and Is there a program that tell me my Power supplies temperature and what it should be?

thanx

i think u can find something along the lines of telling how hot ur system is sides CMOS. as far as the other i wouldt know. have u blown out ur comp though? might help. heres a link to a program off download.com for ya http://www.download.com/HDD-Tem....lst-0-1

It obvouiosly hasnt blown out. It powered down to save itself form blowing up
tounge.gif

BTW thanx for th link but the HD isnt whats getting Hot its the power supply.

Nope... I onyl have one power supply and it turns out this has only happened whil I play Jedi Outcast 2... so im gonna not play it and see if it happens again..

can you hear any fan noise inside your power supply?  may be that the fan inside the power supply went out or 1 of them if its a dual fan power supply.

ahah never though of that!
actually now im certain it only happens when I play games... hmm

I put my ear to the power and it is making a few noises.... Its probobly just reached its end, its over 2 years old.

lol dont wrry man, try blowing the thing out. the games are prolly just overheating ur system

dude u gotta learn how to luagh (good song btw)

did you blow the dust out of your system?

you can also try cutting a new fan hole and adding a fan or two to help keep the inside cool.

not the power supply but the case it self, dust in there causes alot of heat problems. you should clean it out about once a month at least, just simply take the case apart and blow out all the dust.

We have fine brushed everything. Now I will see if it powers down again. THe reason it powers down is to keep itself from melting, so If I didnt have that feature my Computer would be a puddle of molten plastic right now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The reason it powers down is to keep itself from melting, so If I didnt have that feature my Computer would be a puddle of molten plastic right now.
don't we all love autosensors built in, expecially the cpu  
biggrin.gif

Yeah... well Since I cleaned it out thouroughly and man there was major dust in places i never knew dust could get there it hasnt done that. So Praise the Lord!

To another 2 years of gaming!

Back