SWTOR goes free-to-play this fall

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
EA BioWare is making the jump to lightspeed -- and free-to-play. That's right: As of this fall, Star Wars: The Old Republic will transition to a hybrid F2P business model.

Players who choose to engage in free-to-play will be able to experience a majority of the game for free, including the first 50 levels and all eight classes. BioWare did state that there will be restrictions, but those can be removed with microtransactions.
Source: SWTOR is going free-to-play, subs dip below one million [Updated]

I try to keep up with game industry trends and I have to admit I didn't expect SWTOR to go F2P this quickly. Then again, I didn't know they'd dipped below a million subs, either.

There's a lot of competition out there and I don't know many that want to pay a sub for more than one or two games. I still love playing SWTOR, though, so I'll still be in there. My sub is good until November so hopefully I'll get some of those rewards they're talking about.

I also just get the feeling that subscription MMOs are kind of dying off right now. I'm not sure how many subscribers WoW has these days, but I get the feeling that it has lost quite a few subscribers as well. Pretty much since Blizzard announced Hello Panda Island Adventure (aka Mists of Pandaria) I haven't heard many good things about what WoW was doing. I still play TOR some, but I had been starting to wonder how long to keep my subscription going. Looks like they may have answered my question for me by making the game partially free-to-play in November.

As Aleron said, I do still enjoy playing. My problem lately is that I also enjoy playing other games and watching the Olympics, lol.

I also just get the feeling that subscription MMOs are kind of dying off right now. I'm not sure how many subscribers WoW has these days, but I get the feeling that it has lost quite a few subscribers as well.
This may help shed some light on that subject.

I also just get the feeling that subscription MMOs are kind of dying off right now. I'm not sure how many subscribers WoW has these days, but I get the feeling that it has lost quite a few subscribers as well. Pretty much since Blizzard announced Hello Panda Island Adventure (aka Mists of Pandaria) I haven't heard many good things about what WoW was doing. I still play TOR some, but I had been starting to wonder how long to keep my subscription going. Looks like they may have answered my question for me by making the game partially free-to-play in November.

As Aleron said, I do still enjoy playing. My problem lately is that I also enjoy playing other games and watching the Olympics, lol.

Ugh, I considered coming back to WoW until I heard about Hello Panda. No way, do not want.

Ugh, I considered coming back to WoW until I heard about Hello Panda. No way, do not want.
I couldn't care one way or the other about the pandas. I'm just happy about them adding Pokemon to the game. Time to put my 51 companion pets to work.

STINKER, I CHOOSE YOU!

I couldn't care one way or the other about the pandas. I'm just happy about them adding Pokemon to the game. Time to put my 51 companion pets to work.

STINKER, I CHOOSE YOU!

...and to think they called you crazy for collecting all those pets but not me! I called you crazy before I even knew you collected pets. :p

Last edited:
Back