SWTOR F2P to level 15 in July

Aleron

Eh?
From MMORPG.org:
During EA's press conference at the pre-opening festivities for E3, BioWare announced that Star Wars: The Old Republic will be ripping a page out of many other MMOs' playbooks: Starting in July, SWTOR will be F2P through level 15.
The team also noted that new warzones, high level content, new companions, a new planet to explore and much more will be coming throughout the balance of 2012
Star Wars: The Old Republic : F2P to Level 15 Next Month

oh man, it only gets worse...poor Bioware, how can such a great company make so many bad decisions? Capped free trials do not work. There is no MMO out there that can transfer free trials into subscribers. WoW can't, Rift can't, Warhammer can't, LEGO Universe didn't, SWTOR won't. Another horrible move in my opinion.

I'm not against F2P models. Not intrinsically, anyway. In fact, I am very much a fan of LOTRO and DCUO.

That said, I gave WoW's "Starter Edition" a go, and I dropped it not long after. I imagine the same will be true with the Old Republic. And I doubt that I'm the only one who will feel this way.

If I wasn't willing to pay $15/month for the game before, the game will have to utterly have me hooked for me to want to pay the subscription cost after playing it. (And after playing a free weekend before, I doubt that even this will change my mind on wanting to sub.) Again, my guess is that I'm not the only one who will feel this way.

Moreover, I find throwing the F2P term around a bit misleading on this one; those looking for true F2P (like the aforementioned games) will be disappointed while those who don't do their homework will get worried about the game changing (yeah... already got to listen to one of those argument sessions last night :p ). ewoks' "capped trial" seems much more fitting.

I'ma put on my magic ring and disappear from your section again now. :p

Back