Starting out Raiding

AmericanJudkins

Hi Forgiven!

You might have seen me out and about on WoW as one of three characters: Chickypotpie (83 paladin), Garlictoast (47 Rogue), or Hindemyth (43 Mage). I started playing last November, and while I love the variety in WoW, especially with leveling, professions, and instances, I keep hearing about RAIDING... and I have no idea how to do it.

Here's what I do know:

1. Raiding is HARD. Much harder than just casually playing the game.
2. Raiding takes a lot of commitment (especially with time).
3. Raiding is fun and rewarding, especially with gear.

But beyond that, any "guides" I've looked for on how to get started with raiding always assume the person has already played WoW for a LONG time and already knows the basics of raiding. I watch "raid guide" videos online and the screen looks vastly different from what I'm used to when I play WOW. I don't even know what's going on.

I'm talking about the basics - what's a "raid frame," do I need them, and how do I read the screen? What are things to keep in mind? How do I know when I'm ready to start raiding - and when I know that, how do I start?

Thanks! Any help is appreciated of course.

well this calls for a couple more questions... what type of class did you want to raid with? and after that, it's just chatting and jumping in... find me in game!!!! (Ben, Maataae, valkridie, kathande, varatrune)

Raiding is just a bigger and badder version of dungeons (instances). They take longer to complete, they take lots of practice, good gear, great coordination as a group of team members, and like you said commitment. Some raids are easier than others as you will find out once you actually get the chance of raiding.

Here's a link I found online that might tell you a little bit more about raiding.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/07/15/wow-rookie-preparing-for-your-first-raid/

Let me take the opposite view for a moment. Raiding is not hard, it helps to like the people you are raiding with to keep it from being hard. The encounters are hard and challenging. Raiding can be frustraiting, especially when doing new content, one mistake by any of the 9 or 24 other folks with you can cost you the attempt. Gold and food later you try again. (This is why it helps to like the folks you raid with, you are all in this together...) Setting expectations for your raid and having everyone understand them helps make raiding easier, it keeps people all on the same team and keeps folks from feeling like they are being taken advantage of by one or two other raiders who aren't meeting those same expectations. The raid Bob and I lead isn't nearly as far along as Fail PUG in FL. But we've got different players and different expectations for the folks that are raiding with us. If you ask the folks raiding with both groups I think they'll all tell you they have fun and want to keep coming back for more. (It isn't all about the purple pixels, it is about the friendships you build along the way.)

^ What Mike said. It's important you find a raiding group you mesh with and that you can agree upon the expectations as it relates to performance, attendance, gearing, etc.

Back