Starcraft Training Needed

Glitch

Hey guys,

I just recently started playing Starcraft again, going from a 2 years of not even thinking of the game. Now i told one of my RL friends i would play with him yet that i probably was rusty... and yeah. Well when i hopped on with him, he still played regularly and of course... i got spanked. I'm not just talking about a normal spank though.... he had me over his knee.... ok, i'm done with the metaphor. Yeah... i basically just got OWNED badly. I probably wasn't even good enough to beat him when i was in my prime so... i have a humble request.

Can anyone teach me to play starcraft well? or at least can we play together so i can get some good practice in. I'm not the kind of person that hates losing (well... yes i hate loosing, yet i won't pout about it); but this was such a bad lost... it hurt.

So my requests are as follows:

1. How many people out there still have the original Starcraft: Brood War; that would be willing to play togeather? (sadly enough, my RL friend doesn't play the orignal game [the only one i'm good at] he only plays Brood War)

2. What "are" some average beginner strategies out there?

3. Where can i find some Strategy videos of the Brood War?

So please, just give me a day when your free and i will see if i can game. If i do begin gaming i can probably only play one or two rounds... but... yeah.

Thank you Guys.

God bless.

I'm always looking for people to play, so you can AIM/ICQ/MSN me @ Kralgon/24032035/kralgon@yahoo.com.

I've been playing some of my friends who are far below my skill level and giving them tips after each game and telling them how to improve, and the one I've been playing a lot has improved significantly. I also handicap them so the games are more even, so it's not completely one-sided.

It's hard to say how to improve unless I get a baseline reading of where you're at, so if you can post some replays (maybe the games against your friend?), that helps.

And, I am working on putting together some videos of me playing that I was going to just show to friends to give them an idea of how to play. BTW, I am better than the average b.net player, but I'd consider myself pretty newbie in the realm of "competitive" players (my mechanics aren't that great). I can, if I get bored, put commentary on it and put them up online.

mostly figuring out build orders are the best way to do it. play some superfast maps and then save the demos of people and copy them usually. thats how i learned build orders and other strats was watchin good people lol

http://www.battle.net/scc/GS/

Battle Reports shows how well the players have played on a 1vs1, though, in text and picture format.

Also, StarCraft and Brood War are 2 seperate games. SC being the original and BW being the expansion; add-on units/upgrades/terrains.

I've learned just enough about Starcraft after playing the first couple of introductory missions to know that overall I'm going to suck at it. In a nutshell, I'm a terrible multi-tasker and am easily distracted. But I DO own the game/expansion and I also have a local friend who really wants me to play, so I would love to get together with newer players to practice. Just PM me here or look for me on CGA teamspeak - now that I'm done with grad school and our big road trip I have a lot more time to play. Except this weekend - going on a fishing trip. :D

Paul

Ok... i guess a time and place would be good... ummm.... How does Monday
(7-16-07) at 9p.m. Eastern; 6p.m. Pacfic Sound. Just get on TS around that
time and I'll be there.... so if you wanna come... come. It will just be a huge
guildy battle... so we need at least 4.... so... yeah.... i'm one. Tell me if you can
be there or if we could shift the times around.

strats and stuff, you can get videos of professional matches on the torrent tracker at teamliquid.net or youtube "OSL" or "MSL". team liquid also has some reps of professionals, top amateurs, and the top non-korean players in the replays section. AFAIK, there's someone who's been dubbing over the korean broadcasts with english commentary if that's more interesting to you. personally, i prefer the korean commentary even though i don't understand more than a couple words of korean.

although honestly, it's hard to get much out of it if you don't have a certain level of background knowledge. another place to look is read battlereports.com. when i was first learning how to play well, that's where i picked up the most information. it's not as active as it once was, but i think if you read the good reports there, they explain what people are doing and why.

and i'll disagree with watching replays of "good" players on superfast/money maps unless that (and only that) is what you want to be good at. they really remove a lot of the strategic aspects of the game and teach some really bad habits. it's a lot easier for a normal map (e.g. lost temple, gaia, luna, hitchhiker, rush hour 3) player to adjust to superfast maps than for a superfast map player to adjust to normal maps.

in fact, i'd be willing to wager a considerable amount that if you took a good normal map player and a good money map player and had them play against each other, say, 10 times (5 on normal maps, 5 on money maps), the normal map player will take far, far, far more games from the money map player.

Ok... i guess a time and place would be good... ummm.... How does Monday
(7-16-07) at 9p.m. Eastern; 6p.m. Pacfic Sound. Just get on TS around that
time and I'll be there.... so if you wanna come... come. It will just be a huge
guildy battle... so we need at least 4.... so... yeah.... i'm one. Tell me if you can
be there or if we could shift the times around.

I teach on Monday nights so will probably would be a bit late, but I will log in as soon as I get back. Also Wednesday nights work great for me this month, our normal choir/orchestra stuff is suspended in July.

Paul

I teach on Monday nights so will probably would be a bit late, but I will log in as soon as I get back. Also Wednesday nights work great for me this month, our normal choir/orchestra stuff is suspended in July.

Paul

Wednesdays work for me, as well... if we wanna do something on wednesday as well, i'm up for it... both and or just "or" whatever works.

Speaking as a former student of Starcraft, I have to say:

Big money maps FTL!

That aside, I wanted to mention that Tribe of Judah still has a Starcraft chapter. If we see a steady increase in Starcraft activity, perhaps someone will step up to the Tribe of Judah Starcraft Chapter Leader position...?

in fact, i'd be willing to wager a considerable amount that if you took a good normal map player and a good money map player and had them play against each other, say, 10 times (5 on normal maps, 5 on money maps), the normal map player will take far, far, far more games from the money map player.

Actually, Kralgon, if you had the ums; SC Tournament, you can do both.

Example: High money, 15 mins, 3 lives. Low money, 5 mins, 1 life. Etc. :D

Although, some of the previous SC Tournament maps aren't balanced due to the fact there is no limit on units and upgrades.

Example: Max is 200 supply, you can make more.
Upgrades 9/9; Goliath: 1 Armor + 9, 12 Dmg Ground +9/ 20 Dmg Air +36.

Speaking as a former student of Starcraft, I have to say:

Big money maps FTL!

That aside, I wanted to mention that Tribe of Judah still has a Starcraft chapter. If we see a steady increase in Starcraft activity, perhaps someone will step up to the Tribe of Judah Starcraft Chapter Leader position...?

actually money maps are where i learned most of my build orders because it was so much faster paced u can figure out what u should do in the first 5-10 minutes of a match without having to take too long. i like the money maps and normal ones. the only real normal one i like though is lost temple.

the only real normal one i like though is lost temple.

My favorite StarCraft map was Bloodbath. It was such a cool look and always a lot of fun. I guess I liked it because everything was straight and even. There were no jagged lines!

I've learned just enough about Starcraft after playing the first couple of introductory missions to know that overall I'm going to suck at it. In a nutshell, I'm a terrible multi-tasker and am easily distracted. But I DO own the game/expansion and I also have a local friend who really wants me to play, so I would love to get together with newer players to practice. Just PM me here or look for me on CGA teamspeak - now that I'm done with grad school and our big road trip I have a lot more time to play. Except this weekend - going on a fishing trip. :D

Paul

Lol newbie vs. newbie warfare!! Take a video so I can watch :p anyway I don't have SC but best of luck to you Glitch.

My favorite StarCraft map was Bloodbath. It was such a cool look and always a lot of fun. I guess I liked it because everything was straight and even. There were no jagged lines!

Yeah, I like Bloodbath too. It is the easiest to play and beat the computer due to chokes and bottlenecks. I also like any map, including the new desert, snow and twilight maps of BW. Though, it is cool that you can have BGH on desert, snow and twilight terrain instead of jungle world.

Back