StarCraft II Beta Performance - Processors and Graphics

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/starcraft_ii_wings_of_liberty_beta_performance,1.html

This site has a good bit of information on various processor types and graphics cards. They've run tests on the Beta with 19 different ATI and nVidia cards. They also tested with one i-7 processor using different configurations.

One thing I didn't know is that RTS games, according to the article, tend to be more processor intensive than graphic intensive. I'd never thought about it, but it makes a lot of sense. Especially with as many units and commands being executed in the game.

Summary of the article:
All of the cards were tested under high to very high resolution (from 1680x1050 being the lowest to 2560x1600 being the highest) and all of the graphics settings in-game set to "Ultra". All of the cards performed well under these settings; even the lowest-end cards did reasonably well.

It appears StarCraft is most efficient when matched with a dual-core processor. A quad-core performs slightly better, but it's somewhat marginal. Hyper-threading also seems to play a large role in optimization.

Looking at it closely, my video card is definetly worth it.

Its on the Top 5 and is reasonably good to the GTX 285 (1GB) and Radeon HD 5850 (1GB).

Mine being the GTX 275 (896MB).

My card is closer to the bottom lol, I have the 9600. I bought it thinking it would be better than the 8800 since it's a newer model, but after I bought it and the more I found out about it the more I found I was wrong. I've been thinking about getting the 260, but I really don't have a need for it. I mean, even on ultra my card will perform fine. That, and I can run MW2 and Crysis on the highest settings with no problems.

Back