Solo (H+H)/PUG/Organised group

Preferred teams in PvE situations?

• Total voters

-Jeffrey-

Personally, I PUG the most by far, unless I'm helping a friend. Here would be my reasons why:

PUG vs Solo (H+H)
Cutting to the bottom line, solo can be very boring and you don't get the full experience of playing in a team. Also, certain missions are much easier with players, even if you have to order them about.

PUG vs Organised group
Main issue with this is time-synchronisation. Lets say I want to do Hell's Precipice in Hard Mode. Most of the team may be ready but one member may be in the middle of doing something. If that person takes a while, another member of the team may no long have enough time and a replacement needs to be found. By the time one is found, more team members may find strains of their time and a lot of time ends up being wasted. This is especially true for 8 person teams, as it's often hard to get all 8 people in one place where everyone is in a perfect situation to play.

The main criticisms of PUGs are the lack of organisation and the possibility of getting someone who does not have the ideal maturity level. For this reason I invite people by talking to them through whisper first. Using whisper eliminates people who are completely ignorant to the game and don't understand basic mechanics such as replying to a whisper. Also it's often very easy to judge a person's personality by the way they talk. If they abuse numbers and show zero respect for grammar, then it's often a bad thing.

As far as organisation is concerned, just ask them to show what skills they have equipped and suggest appropriate changes. If they're ignorant and refuse to change for reasons other than having not yet unlocked them, then you can boot at will. Also make sure they understand the mission and remind them at critical points, such as telling them to wait when you need to lure.

Another important point with PUGs is that you won't meet new people if you constantly solo or join groups of friends. This greatly limits your capacity for outreach. I also like to help other in low end PvE when I have nothing else to do, mainly just for the satisfaction of helping someone in the game.

If you want to be extremely safe, then just take heros/henchmen in a way that you could succeed without the added members.

Depends on my mood for the night as well as the actual activity.

If it's a vanquish or there is a limited amount of time I have available, I'll h/h more often than not. It's not that I don't enjoy the company, but that I may be proceeding at a pace unfriendly to others (leaving stuff on the ground in some instances, picking up everything in others). When I've got a "free pass" as far as time goes, I'm more likely to look for a pug or join some guildies/alliance folks.

I usually for convenience's sake play with heroes exclusively. But my ideal is always to play with humans for a number of reasons.

I mean, a human monk doesn't have to be told the importance of recasting UA and dropping it in the heat of battle when there's 3-4 dead allies on the ground. But if I'm trying to survive myself and get Dunkoro to do what I want and make sure that Jora is canceling the warrior bosses stance that I want her to...well then I'm just doing too much at once.

I mainly H/H everything. Not that I don't find PUGs entertaining or competent, I usually have plenty of fun with PUGs and most of the problems people face I don't notice (except that one wammo that runs away from me when I'm trying to heal him... :mad:). However, to put it blunt, my heroes are just better and easier than most people. My heroes synergize with at least two other heroes and each serve a distinct role while complementing others. There is very little I can't do with my heroes. And while I do miss the added PvE skills that human players can bring, I just can't find a human necro that will raise minions, remove conditions, and put splinter on all my physical attackers.

However I always enjoy playing with Alliance groups and the fellowship therein.

Case in point, just went over the pre-searing wall with a random guy. We checked skills before he went in to make sure of what was going on, talked strategy (like hide behind walls and hills when you can) but despite this he 1) refused to heal himself, 2) refused to stay where the archers and warriors couldn't get him and 3) refused to let me get the aggro for him (he was 4 levels below me). He died in nearly every fight just due to an unwillingness to do what we agreed to.

Heros don't do that, in general.

I would much rather have my friends with me when fighting in PvE.

However, to be completely honest, unless it is a high end area like UW I go with Heros.

My wife and I completed FoW without dying with the Triple Necro/ Spirit Spammer/ us being Nukers in no time. The computer AI is so so efficient with some builds that a normal player couldn't come close to having the same ability. Plus the less humans mean the less time waiting for people to clear inventory, buy skills, get a drink, etc.

Still, if given the choice, I would choose humans that I know. No pugs ever.

I also prefer pugs to heroes and hench if i know i have the time available to complete the mission. I know pugs have a bad reputation and i have quite a few entertaining pug horror stories, but i think i've encountered more good pugs than bad.

The main problem nowadays is that the game is getting old and it's hard to find pugs for most things. About the only pugs left are for the Z Mission Du Jour or DOA. The UW/fow missions are speed clears only and you pretty much need to be an expert to join those teams. No good for those of us that need to learn.

I don't like leading a team so i don't form my own. I tried leading a few times and just got flamed so much i stopped doing it. I'd much rather join a team that's already forming.

Vanquishing I tend to do alone or with friends. Those take so long and i may be going afk periodically.

We do organize alliance events for some of the harder areas like uw/doa or a dungeon but haven't done so lately. I'm up for anything you guys want to do. The only thing we ask is if you're interested in coming to an event, please be on time and bring a build that will help the team. If you're unsure ask ahead of time and we'll help you get prepared. (No, we won't run your level 18 mesmer and his pet thru the UW)

I've H&h for a long time, pugs just got too crazy. I do enjoy doing things with guildies/alliance even with the hm happy ones. The problem is my passion for Survivors sometimes gets in the way, it makes me slow and cautious.

I'm a H+H guy all the way just because I get weird hours to play and usually don't want to HAVE to finish a quest if I get halfway through and want to do something else or have a bad build or fall asleep. (I almost ALWAYS fall asleep when I try to vanquish!)

I enjoyed PUGs back when I had bigger blocks of time to play. You do find bozos but you find fun people too. And most bozos are at least pretty obvious before you leave town.

My favorite PUG was taking my warrior through Abbadon's Mouth. After being kicked off a ton of teams who only wanted Mos and Eles, I rounded up six other Warriors and a Ranger who had the same problem and we decimated everything in our path. Glorious battle!... sigh... I need to PUG more.

I get halfway through and want to do something else or have a bad build or fall asleep. (I almost ALWAYS fall asleep when I try to vanquish!)

I think that's the funniest thing I've heard all day! Ahh that's great.. :)

Back