Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [url]http://www.pvxwiki.com/wiki/Build:Team_-_RaO_SH_Pressure[/url]

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • [url]http://www.pvxwiki.com/wiki/Build:Team_-_Ritspike_Redone[/url]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

A Servant

In interest of winning HA I think we should pick a build and stick with it untill we get really good.

Pick a build which do u like best.

we seem to do better with the non-spike builds.

I disagree. The problem with the last spike build is that it needs a really confident caller who knows what they are doing. The whole build revolves around the caller, so I think they would work if we put the best caller in that position. The spike we have been using works extremely well when we have someone picking targets and calling them consistently through the run, and who can judge when to switch targets. Instead of picking the caller last, perhaps we should pick the caller first.

I disagree. The problem with the last spike build is that it needs a really confident caller who knows what they are doing. The whole build revolves around the caller, so I think they would work if we put the best caller in that position. The spike we have been using works extremely well when we have someone picking targets and calling them consistently through the run, and who can judge when to switch targets. Instead of picking the caller last, perhaps we should pick the caller first.

And we do do better with a good caller, but as a whole we seem to do better with pressure builds. Im up for anything, but being with Team SoE for about a year now we've done really well on RoA Thumpers, SH eles, we did have a good Rit Spike, ViM trappers, all of which are pressure builds (save the Rit Spike, which normally ended up kinda turning into a pressure/spike build).

Again, i'm willing to do anything, normally im the monk so i dont have to worry about spikes/pressure, and i wouldnt mind being an ele spiker or seomthing i'm just calling what i'm seeing.

There still should really be more options on the poll including an option not to go with the same build for every run. Also, y'all have been advertising that Tuesdays are more advanced and run new builds, and Fridays are more open to newbies and tend to run the same builds. Are you continuing that or is this the same builds for both? Most of those really good teams have the exact same players every time they play, and you all have some, but not always, and that's going to be difficult.

As for the caller issue, that's still a problem no matter what build you run and probably no matter how advanced of a player you are. The best teams are coordinated, and I think that's what has really been lacking because you choose the caller as a last thing after choosing the build, and it might work better if you do it the other way around (choose the caller first who then plays the best position for the caller to be in).

Last, I'll be real honest and say y'all aren't very newbie friendly, and I mean this in terms of how you treat new players overall. The very first time I played pvp with you, it almost made me never want to play Guild Wars again. The only reason for taking it up again was more on Dea's persistence than anything else. There was more than one person on the team that made it very clear newbies were not welcome, and I only remember dredd saying something to them about it. The past few weeks, you've had trouble finding players to fill the teams, and quite a few players leaving early. If you are going to only be about winning, then that problem just going to increase if you don't get more players playing regularly, whether older players or newer ones.

Ishy, you are an exceedingly kind, patient and mature person, which is why you're such a good teacher. But most of our PvP players tend to be (a) Highly Competative and (b) YOUNG (which doesn't always denote a chronological deficit - some of you know exactly what I'm talking about). People who are competative get very frustrated when we're not competative as a group, even if they keep that frustration to themselves. And people who are 'young' don't keep frustration to themselves. So when new people come into the group and make typical 'newbie' mistakes like crossing the timer line or bringing a PvE character who can't fully run the build we need, then those who are competative get frustrated and angry about it. It isn't nice that they lash out, and we could all wish for them to be more patient and mature. But, at the same time I think we could also wish that all our PvP-enthusiasts would all be able to do as you have done and keep coming back to PvP with a good attitude and willingness to play even after having to put up with bad behavior. I appreciate your patience with our group and am very glad that you're becoming a PvP regular with us.

Paul

Last edited:
Spike builds for us tend to be either very good or very bad. When we've got experienced players in the right places and experienced monks, a spike build can carry us right into teh halz. But when just one thing is off - for instance, when no experienced players are willing to call or when I have to monk :D - then we get killed before we can take down enough of the other team to make a difference.

With pressure builds there is more room for error and also less potential for us to do really really well. We have always tended to gravitate towards these builds because they tend to win us the first round with some consistency once we get them running right. But these builds don't often take us past round two.

My personal opinion is that we should develop a 'default' pressure build to run with fair frequency, so that we will have a way to earn fame and build up morale with the group. And we should settle on one single spike build, which we will cue up only when the necessary experienced players are available to play.

Paul

I may not have played pvp in Guild Wars that much, but I've played a lot of MMO pvp, and I just see that I think y'alls biggest problem isn't a build issue, it's an organizational issue. Most of those "super" groups have a leader who 1) tells everyone what to do all the time, 2) doesn't take suggestions, and 3) demands that everyone be there for every run night or they are out of the team (something that really irritated me about uber guilds in WoW). I am not saying you should do that; just that is what tends to win and that's what you're probably going up against a lot. I totally understand frustration and being competitive. I have a competitive side myself. I also understanding not wanting to call because that requires an ability to look at the big picture which is hard in something like pvp.

My personal opinion is that we should develop a 'default' pressure build to run with fair frequency, so that we will have a way to earn fame and build up morale with the group. And we should settle on one single spike build, which we will cue up only when the necessary experienced players are available to play.

That sounds fair and appealing to both sides.

Ishy, hey it's Chad. (I don't think we've ever formally met...)

I remember that first time (at least one of the first times) you joined in for PvP. I still remember the pain in your voice over TS when you didn't fit the build and had to leave. It was especially sad cause the same thing happened to me a couple times... I hope you forgive everyone for that.

You know, there was a time when a couple people would get on an hour before hand and help newbies grind faction in Zaishen Challenge. That's what I ended up doing. Worked wonders too! We ought to start that up again...

-Chadley

PS- I don't really care what we run. I've never claimed to be the brains behind what's a good build. Give me something, and I'll run it.

I remember that first time (at least one of the first times) you joined in for PvP. I still remember the pain in your voice over TS when you didn't fit the build and had to leave. It was especially sad cause the same thing happened to me a couple times... I hope you forgive everyone for that.

The only pvp char I had at the time was a warrior, and before we went in, everyone said that was alright, but then I had a lot of trouble with getting stunned or knocked down and I couldn't do anything. I did have other slots, but no one suggested I play something else at the time. I think I've done a lot better with casters. Part of the "pain" too was that for months I'd listened to MM and dorkelf talk about how wonderful pvp was, and I really was skeptical about it after that night.

I know when I have to play a monk we defiantly play worse. I dunno if that is my monking skills or that I am good at dealing damage and calling. I can start doing PvP like the super teams but that would eliminate a lot of players on our teams. And I HATE having to turn someone away. What I can do is start this back up. Tuesday nights will be hardcore PvP. If you cannot run the build you will not be able to play that night with the group and we will put people in positions where we can win (We will lose A LOT on Tuesdays until we get synced). This is where the PvP slots come in. Friday nights will be open to everyone and we will run easier pressure builds. If you all want pvp to go to that format I will need help running it all this since my work schedule messes me up quite often. If it is ran this way Tuesday nights will not be a democracy I or whoever I put in charge will tell you what build is being ran. It does not mean we will not listen to suggestions but if we are losing and people are getting frustrated after 1 loss and hate how their build is they will not like Tuesday nights. I will also make more of an effort no matter what we are doing to explain what each persons role on the team is. I will post a poll if you guys and gals want to go back to Team SoE Tuesday nights. I know I sound a little harsh but believe me we will still have fun and joke around but it will be more organized and we will more than likely run 1 build for longer periods of time. So if you all want it to go back to that please post your comments here than i will post a poll when I get a chance explaining what everyone is to expect and if they want it that if there is enough interest on this thread. Also Chad I agree if we can get a few people that are interested in helping new people go get some faction for their PvP slots that is wonderful. I will try and get on early on PvP nights to help with that as well no matter what we decide to do.

what i like about the icy spike is it allows for mistakes since we are spending most of the time healing each other

Hmm. Guess you all meant me about the noob caller. :(

I voted for Rampage as One pressure build. I have done this in Random Arenas as a ranger thumper and it is a very effective build. I agree that we need to stick with a certain party build. It takes time to get used to a certain build. You can have one team beat a team with a less superior build if they just know how to get the most out of the build. It seems to me that every pvp night the whole party build is different. Rampage as One team build has been proven to be very effective even against top ranked guilds. I think this would be a good one to play since it is easy to use. Even a thumper build has strategy to it though. For example if you are pounding on the monk and he casts guardian, ask the necro to disenchant so you can continue pounding away. Also as a thumper team it is good to spread out the damage to multiple targets.

Chris you did alright! Calling is not easy and I feel I am a noob at it as well. Derk is probably the best caller in the guild :p.

Chris.. we have had problems with callers before. You were just the wrong caller at the wrong time. Like Dredd said, the best two are probably Dredd and Derk... and to be honest they both could use work.. but thats what we are here to do! To practice, have fun, and win the Halls.

As for the "newbies" i also have noticed that a few Team SoE people have been less then welcoming to a new person.. and i also have noticed that some people do welcome a new person, do not mind a newbie in the group, but just in there humor or the way that they talk it can sound like they are annoyed.. I just wanted to let you guys know that sometimes people may make a joke or say things that sound like they are annoyed at the newbs, but really they arnt. I know that i have made jokes to try and cheer the person up, and i know that like Servant calls us all noobs, but thats cause he loves us, and thats how he is.

Again, its hard to come into a group without knowing everyone's personallity. Thats how i felt when i first joined SoE. I felt like there was such a strong bond between people and i would never really "fit" in. But as you get to know people more and more, get to know their personalities and how they are, which lessens on the whole "newb" factor.

LOL Actually, I'm probably the WORST caller in the guild. Calling is HARD. All you can do is try your best and learn from those who are familiar with the Halls.

Really, you wouldn't BELIEVE how bad it was last time Dredd made me call. I got so upset trying to do it and did so horribly at it that he took pity on me and found someone else to do it. I don't remember the last time I sent someone whispers with such prolific use of all caps...

Back