So, you need some help?

TheRaven

I've been wanting to post something like this for a while now so here goes......

We are lucky to be in a really nice friendly Alliance. If someone needs help with a build or a mission there are usually folks around that can help. Some of us have been around for awhile and can offer advice and others are just starting out and eager to learn. Here are some friendly Do's and Don'ts for how to ask for help if you need it.

1. Something I see a lot on Alliance chat is this:
Sir Noobalot: Hey Guys! I need help.
Sir Noobalot: please, I need some help. Can anyone help me????????????
Sir Noobalot: comeon!!! anyone?????
Sir Noobalot: Geeeez, no one ever helps me!!! :mad:

If you want help, please please please be specific. Not many folks are gonna jump up and offer to help if you don't say what it is you want. Maybe you need some tips on the Ring of Fire mission. Maybe you want a run to Droks. Or maybe you want help in Arborstone? Personally I'm reluctant to speak up if someone just says "I want help". I feel like if i ask, "what do you want help with?" then i'm obligated to help even if you reply that you want help with that 1 mission I hate and I don't need.

2. Don't wear out your welcome. It's fine to ask for help on that mission or task that you've been struggling with for so long, but please don't be a noob and ask for help with every single quest and every single mission in the game. People will hate to see you sign on and start ignoring you.

3. Be specific in what kind of help you need. Something I see a lot is "Can someone help me with Ring of Fire??". This could mean many things.
A. Can someone run the mission for me?
B. I just can't get thru it. Can someone give me build advice?
C. I'm bored. I could do it with heroes, but i'd like some company.

4. If at all possible don't ask someone to run you thru a mission because it's too hard for you finish it yourself. This only leaves your character in a harder area than the area you came from. If you can't finish a mission on your own, then you'll be unlikely to be able to finish the ones that come after it and you'll just be stuck asking for help again. Instead ask for advice on how you can do it yourself. Ping your build and ask for a critique on how it can be better. If someone does join you on the mission, help them fight. Don't just stand back and let them do it all.

5. Don't beg for free stuff. I've seen too many times in alliance chat "Can someone give me 80k for armor?" That's not asking for help, that's just downright begging and it's rude. Now if you need 4 steel ingots or an item for Nicholas then please feel free to ask if anyone has some to spare. Many of us have extras cluttering up our inventories that we'll share but most people won't give gold away to someone they don't know. Recently someone was begging for a credit card # so they could buy something in the online store. That's over the line. Either they were attempting to scam or they're too young to be on the internet unsupervised.

6. If you're new to the game, don't be afraid to say so. We don't bite and we'll help you get started. If someone asks "how can I make money?" then I'd answer differently if I know you've only been playing for a week and just need 10k for max armor than if you're a veteran trying to get 80 more ectos to craft Obsidian armor. If you need someone to evaluate a build you just made then tell us if it's for a Lvl 5 ranger with 4 tomes available or a Lvl 20 ranger with all skills unlocked.

I'll jump off my soapbox now. Comments? Ideas?

I'll jump off my soapbox now. Comments? Ideas?

It was a very nice soapbox. Where'd ya get it? Was it on sale today?

on topic however: I will echo what Raven said. It's been a struggle trying to balance charity and service while also having fun playing and avoiding leechers.

I'd also like to add that if help is not available at the moment, it doesn't mean it won't be there tomorrow. Or it doesn't mean that you can't come here on the forums and post, I will guarantee help if something is posted here. Except everyone who is reading this already knows this.. so.. I wish I had a soapbox like Raven's.. it looked like a good one..

Thanks, Raven - that is exactly how many of us think.

I had someone the other day ask, "Can someone run me to Beetleton?" I told him he needed to include, from where. He wanted a run from Temple of Ages. I asked if he was working a survivor and needed the assurance he would make it alive. No, he was not. So I told him he could do it himself - with a party of eight and such a short distance it would not be a problem. Check Guildwiki - look at a map. He'd be glad he did it himself.

I could have but it wasn't necessary nor would it help him get along in the game to have me do it.

I can't believe how often I've seen people asking for 60-80k for elite armor sets. It's really ridiculous. There seem to be one or two people in particular that I'm starting to notice always asking for the elite stuff.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Unfortunately, I think the folks that really need to read this will never see it because they aren't active on the forums.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Unfortunately, I think the folks that really need to read this will never see it because they aren't active on the forums.

Of course! Thus lies the hilarious irony of it all!

I think this is a great start to a much-needed etiquette guide. Outstanding post, Raven.

I might also add:

-- Seek advice before you seek someone's time. I got really stuck and frustrated at the Mountain Heart quest in EOTN, until some good guildies showed me how to put together a touch ranger and gave me some other tips. Not only did it get me through... but I was able to bring other characters through too.

-- Offer to buy or trade for what you need rather than beg for gifts. It's just classier, and it helps both sides meet their goals. I don't know how you guys do, but I love when I can buy or sell materials at the halfway cost between what the merchants pay and what the merchants charge... I feel like that way neither of us are getting stuck.

-- Help people learn about the game and ask good questions. We old-timers can come to take skills (like how to put a build on the chat window or how to use hotkeys) or knowledge (like what TOA stands for or what SABway is) for granted. I appreciate the people who helped put me on the right track along the way.

Thanks, guys, for being a great group of people to play with. Next year in Ebonhawke!

Back