Slow network?

inkelis

I'm just wondering my my LAN is so slow. Whenever i try to transfer files from my computer to my laptop over the LAN it's transfer speed is only 46kb/s making it faster for me to just download the file off the internet. What gives?

Both computers are using a wireless-N connection and are connected to a router that is connected to the internet.

I'm just wondering my my LAN is so slow. Whenever i try to transfer files from my computer to my laptop over the LAN it's transfer speed is only 46kb/s making it faster for me to just download the file off the internet. What gives?

Both computers are using a wireless-N connection and are connected to a router that is connected to the internet.
What OS are you running?

In my experience, Vista was horrible when it came to transferring files. XP and Windows 7 are far superior in that regard (and many others).

My new laptop has vista, and i'm a little disappointed as i thought i was getting windows 7. Then i get it and noticed i only have vista. Gah, should i spend 100 dollars and put windows 7 on? would it help since my other computer only has vista?

My new laptop has vista, and i'm a little disappointed as i thought i was getting windows 7. Then i get it and noticed i only have vista. Gah, should i spend 100 dollars and put windows 7 on? would it help since my other computer only has vista?
You could spend $150 for the Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack and get 3 licenses (one for your desktop, one for your laptop, and one to sell or keep for a third future computer).

If you bought it around the time of win 7's release then you might qualify for a free upgrade. Contact the manufacturer and see.

Explain to me UAC and how to turn it off.

Also, i will contact dell to see if i can get a free upgrade.

You could spend $150 for the Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack and get 3 licenses (one for your desktop, one for your laptop, and one to sell or keep for a third future computer).

Man Tek, how I wish it was so! MS discontinued that a couple months ago. There is no cheap win7 currently, even the student deal has been pulled. Only way to save any money is an open box from amazon marketplace or a OEM system builders pack that is borderline against the rules.

I am ticked that I missed out on the family pack, I got 3 systems with the RC starting to expire. Gah!

Does this include the 64-bit edition?

EDIT: I looked this up and the cheapest I saw it was for $299...but no where did I see whether it was 32 or 64...I need 64...

Last edited:
Man Tek, how I wish it was so! MS discontinued that a couple months ago. There is no cheap win7 currently, even the student deal has been pulled.
Bummer. That makes me simultaneously glad I bought it when I did and sad for those who couldn't predict such an inane move on Microsoft's part.

Does this include the 64-bit edition?
The Family Pack included discs for both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I ended up using both.

Funny story. Not so much "ha ha" funny as "I'm going to bang my head against my desk now because I spent 48 hours of my life installing applications on a 32-bit operating system only to discover another 24 hours later that my computer has a 64-bit processor and take another 2 days for a fresh backup, wipe, and reload" funny.

Another funny story: My notebook computer's DVD drive wouldn't read the 64-bit disc on bootup, so I had to dump the disc to an ISO image on my desktop computer, burn that image to a DVD+R, then load the burned copy in my notebook to install Windows 7 64-bit.

Another funny story: My notebook computer's DVD drive wouldn't read the 64-bit disc on bootup, so I had to dump the disc to an ISO image on my desktop computer, burn that image to a DVD+R, then load the burned copy in my notebook to install Windows 7 64-bit.

o_O

That doesn't make much sense, but if you got it to work...yay!

Back