Should Christians listen to "secular" music?

the_great_eskimo_pie

Former Official Thread Killer
I was reading Philippians the other day and I came across this verse again.

4:8
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

And it got me to thinking about secular music. So here is my question.

If we, as Christians, are supposed to think on the above listed things. How can we condone listening to secular music?

I turned on my stereo after listening to that and there are some pretty... Risque songs on the radio.
Some are on sex, others on underage sex, still others talking about lust, others about adultery.

I highly doubt that these are things that Christians should be thinking about.
I know I am guilty for listening to them, and well, I am going to stop. There are enough Christian radio stations, cds, tapes and the like to listen to. (I have 5 differant stations in my area I can listen to if I so desire....)

What do the rest of ya'll think about this?

Seeing as most of the music I listen to is secular, I havbe some pretty strong opinions on this subject. Let's see if I can explain them.

Just because something is secular doesn't mean that it is bad. There is a lot of 'good' or 'positive' secular music out there.
I think it basically depends on the song, There are some songs I like because of the music but the lyrical content isn't the best (Hinder's Get Stoned for example). What God says to you personally on this subject should be your guide.

My problem is that I don't have a good Christian radio station in my area. The best on is KLOVE and I don't like it at all.

I think we need to temper everything we watch or listen to with disernment.

I repeated listen to the Wiggles and have found nothing wrong with them, counrty music on the other hand....... LOL, J/K

In all honesty, I have some secular music which is fine to listen to. There are no questionable lyrics, there is a bit of artistic expression (in the beat, melody and harmony). I even have some "New Age Music" <gasp>. It is classified as such. That does not mean though that I cannot listen to it.

The standard I use is...
lyrics
music (as music can have underlying tones)
intention of song
artistic content
is the music country music
does it encourage behaviours I would not want my pastor to see?

Gen

What do you consider secular?

If you have problems with secular music, would you extend that to video games? That would pretty much restrict you from any popular video game out there.

Dark Virtue said:
What do you consider secular?

If you have problems with secular music, would you extend that to video games? That would pretty much restrict you from any popular video game out there.

I am refering to music not considered. "Christian"

Also, Games are a seperate topic.

I listen to tons of classic rock, and I barely listen to Christian music, the only Christian music I listen to is Stryper, Don Francisco and Carmen. I really can't listen to any thing else, because I quite frankly think that most of it stinks. I know I probably shouldn't say that, but I listen to what I like, and I don't like most Christian music. Do I think that this will send me to Hell? No. Do I go out and do what the song is talking about? No. So I don't think I'm doing anything wrong.

P.S. Although this doesn't change much, I listen to classic rock. Even though some of it still talks about 'bad' things, I believe that it is much cleaner then most of today's music.

Although DV has a point... if we don't listen to secular music for the sole reason that it's not Christian, than what about video games?

Myself, I listen to Relient K. They've gone quite a bit mainstream, but they have some Christian songs

Dark Virtue said:
So you're covering the whole gambit from Mozart to 50 cent?

Yes. :D Well... Not sure if I wanna go from Mozart to 50 cent... Would be a long list and thread... LEts say everything from 1950 till now? Just for a start?

Last edited:
TGEP,

I don't feel that there is any way for us to distinguish if a material something is Christian or not. Christianity applies only to the individual. 'Christian music' should really more accurately be called 'religious music', especially when being compared to the term 'secular'.

It's like saying that I drive a Christian vehicle, and that I will only buy Christian vehicles from now on. What makes this vehicle of mine so Christian? Is it the people who make it?

Similarily, what makes music 'Christian'? Is it the artists, the instruments, the lyrics? Even a band full of Christians might not necessarily produce Christian music, and it goes the other way around, too.

I think that music is a very beautiful thing, and I think that creating and listening to it is a God given talent and ability. Very few creatures listen to music like we do, and I can really appreciate that.

I say all of that because I think we can be grateful for all of the varying kinds of music, whether we classify it as Christian or not. There's just too many beautiful elements and art out there in the world for us to miss out on.

I like a lot of christian music, probably some you've never heard (Like Michal Card, Fernando Ortaga) of and some you hov (Like my favorite: ELVIS PRESLEY!, or even Randy Travis). Those are almost all I realy listen.

I dunno i take music as it comes. i know people who will only listen to classical becuase its not "evil" but its a way of shutting out the real world as it is. For myself, if i hear songs that explicitly talk about sex, i'll generally turn it off or change radio station. but like.... beer for my horses, i'll listen to that song. weed with willy, i wont listen to lol, both done by the same guy.

DarthDapor said:
I like a lot of christian music, probably some you've never heard (Like Michal Card, Fernando Ortaga) of and some you hov (Like my favorite: ELVIS PRESLEY!, or even Randy Travis). Those are almost all I realy listen.

Hey I know who Michael Card is. :D

I dunno i take music as it comes. i know people who will only listen to classical becuase its not "evil" but its a way of shutting out the real world as it is. For myself, if i hear songs that explicitly talk about sex, i'll generally turn it off or change radio station. but like.... beer for my horses, i'll listen to that song. weed with willy, i wont listen to lol, both done by the same guy.

I see where you are coming from, but what about the music that seems ok... Like oldies? Where they are really talking about sex, just using euphenisms...

TGEP,

I don't feel that there is any way for us to distinguish if a material something is Christian or not. Christianity applies only to the individual. 'Christian music' should really more accurately be called 'religious music', especially when being compared to the term 'secular'.

It's like saying that I drive a Christian vehicle, and that I will only buy Christian vehicles from now on. What makes this vehicle of mine so Christian? Is it the people who make it?

Similarily, what makes music 'Christian'? Is it the artists, the instruments, the lyrics? Even a band full of Christians might not necessarily produce Christian music, and it goes the other way around, too.

I think that music is a very beautiful thing, and I think that creating and listening to it is a God given talent and ability. Very few creatures listen to music like we do, and I can really appreciate that.

I say all of that because I think we can be grateful for all of the varying kinds of music, whether we classify it as Christian or not. There's just too many beautiful elements and art out there in the world for us to miss out on.

Well I must say, I have never been referred to as TGEP before. Thank you. :D

I have to agree that just because a band says they are Christian does not mean that they produce "Christian" music. However I sm asking if it is wrong for Christians to listen to anything that does not pass the filter given by Paul.... Not just music in general.. I guess I did not make my question clear... Sorry about that. :eek:

Though I must ask you Bowser, How can you say that we cannot say whether something is Christian or not? What is your basis for that conclusion?

Also, on a side not. If there is a great music writer/singer/whatever. If they are not writing to glorify God and simply for monetary gain, does God still recieve the glory for giving them that talent? (If I was not clear, let me kjow, I'll repost it...)

I listen to tons of classic rock, and I barely listen to Christian music, the only Christian music I listen to is Stryper, Don Francisco and Carmen. I really can't listen to any thing else, because I quite frankly think that most of it stinks. I know I probably shouldn't say that, but I listen to what I like, and I don't like most Christian music. Do I think that this will send me to Hell? No. Do I go out and do what the song is talking about? No. So I don't think I'm doing anything wrong.

P.S. Although this doesn't change much, I listen to classic rock. Even though some of it still talks about 'bad' things, I believe that it is much cleaner then most of today's music.

Well you need to broaden your horizons my friend. :D Switchfoot, Reliant K, Zoe Girl, Super Chick, PoG, Rebecca St. James... Are all good Christian groups/singers who have rockin music.

the_great_eskimo_pie said:
Well you need to broaden your horizons my friend. :D Switchfoot, Reliant K, Zoe Girl, Super Chick, PoG, Rebecca St. James... Are all good Christian groups/singers who have rockin music

Well, there is a difference between Rock music and rockin' music. I have listend to some of those groups, and they sound to much like the music my sister listens to, not lyric wise, but music wise. And I really don't like to broaden my horizons, since I like the stuff I listen to now. Once I stop liking this music thne I'll find something else, but until then I'll stick with Ted Nugent and the like.

p.s. This post was not meant as hurtful or anything like that.

I think it's a bad idea to limit yourself to one type of music. Confining yourself to Christian music by Christian artists leaves out a whole world, literally, of wonderful music. The same can be applied to literature and other genres.

Dark Virtue said:
I think it's a bad idea to limit yourself to one type of music. Confining yourself to Christian music by Christian artists leaves out a whole world, literally, of wonderful music. The same can be applied to literature and other genres.

I agree with you to a point DV.

Limiting oneself to a particular genre is like an artist saying s/he will only use 2 colors to paint with, or a musician who will only play Bach.

On the flip side, do people really need the music they listen to to portray sexual encounters to a catchy tune?

Also, how do you feel about groups like Apologetix? They take music and re-write the lyrics to it...

I like secular music. My rule is that as long as it's not satanic or mindlessly bashing God I can listen to it. Why should I shelter myself from what other people who believe differently than me think? I have way more Christian music than secular music, and most of it hardly anybody has heard of.

So lets say I know what a certian secular band sounds like and I meet a person who likes said band? Now I can probably give them a band that is probably more uplifting and possibly having an evangelical message. Me hearing a few cuss words is certianly worth the price of a person's soul.

Now, even if I'm not using my it to evangelize to people, is it wrong? I don't think so. Hearing what other people believe is not going to change the core of what I believe. And if it affects my beliefs in any way it will be in a small way. If you're not strong enough in your faith to stay with God when you hear what other people have to say then you certianly shouldn't listen to most secular music.

Ah the power of music mmmm just love music, praise is my fav now but once i did listen to rock n country now I wanna feel a singer singing praise, worship and heartfelt vibes. Yeah maybe I'm old and zz top or ac/dc does not quite get it heehaw tho I like Hells bells or dirty deeds dun dirt cheap. I have changed and so have my tastes and its more of a focus thing than anything for I want to follow fill and fulfill myself with Gods will aka AVAILABLE for any and all needs to help.So is the message clear or garbled with worldly messages..It is a chose.

Back