Settlers of Catan

Glitch

So I just started playing this game (board game, if you're wondering).
I'm surprised at how fun it is. It really takes some strategy.

For starters... Who else has played it? and what do you think is your favorite strategy, going for cities, settlements, or a mixture?

For seconders... If you have played it, Do you know of the best expansion packs?

I have been playing this game for years. Love it! Have played all the expansions and they all are great in their own right (can't go wrong with any of them). I don't have a preset strategy, it changes depending on what my first settlements are on. I actually love the stand alone game called Settlers of Canan. It was a religious themed "authorized" remake and it is actually really really good with a different strategy as the board is not randomized.

I am tempted to get this on xbox arcade just to have available competition. Although it can be played on brettspielwelt for free, the xbox version is cooler looking and has achievements.

Last edited:
I played the demo on XBL and was tempted to get this, but I didn't grasp it enough to want to play others yet. If anyone wanted to play it over XBL I would most definitely spend the points to pick it up, just promise me a few "training" games before wiping the floor with me. It reminded me of my Axis & Allies days. :)

Ok I will grab this and Castle Crashers. What time do you usually play? I am on most nights from 9pm-11pm PST. I can get on earlier if we plan it.

I am tempted to get this on xbox arcade just to have available competition. Although it can be played on brettspielwelt for free, the xbox version is cooler looking and has achievements.

I just picked up the xbox version today.
Sadly, enough... It doesn't look like many people play online. (now considering I didn't take much time to look), when I tried to do a "quick game", no one was on.

I played the demo on XBL and was tempted to get this, but I didn't grasp it enough to want to play others yet. If anyone wanted to play it over XBL I would most definitely spend the points to pick it up, just promise me a few "training" games before wiping the floor with me. It reminded me of my Axis & Allies days. :)

Again, I do have it on the xbox 360. Just tell me when and I'll try and play.
Though, I am on East coast time, so I'm not sure when our times can match up.

Thats a bummer if not many ppl play on LIVE but I would think it would be popular as it is extremely popular in other online portals that host it. It is best play with as many ppl as possible as the trading aspect is weaker with only 2 ppl.

I could get up early some day if you guys wanted to play in the mornings...Like If I got in a play session at 6am PST that would be 9am your time.

Last edited:
i hate that game. its boring, you dont do anything and nothing happens and glitch i still love you anyways :p

lol, you are entitled to your opinion but I think that if you are not doing any thing than you are playing wrong. You should be constantly trading with opponents to get the new builds you need, tracking what other are bringing in so you know what they are holding. You need to think ahead constantly to block out their roads leading to the few sweet spots on each board. There is a lot of luck since it is based on a dice roll each turn but the trading aspect is the key to the whole thing. It is definitely more fun in person as you get all nasty with trading and form alliances to ban anyone who is close to winning, but it is still fun online if you know how to play.

lol, you are entitled to your opinion but I think that if you are not doing any thing than you are playing wrong. You should be constantly trading with opponents to get the new builds you need, tracking what other are bringing in so you know what they are holding. You need to think ahead constantly to block out their roads leading to the few sweet spots on each board. There is a lot of luck since it is based on a dice roll each turn but the trading aspect is the key to the whole thing. It is definitely more fun in person as you get all nasty with trading and form alliances to ban anyone who is close to winning, but it is still fun online if you know how to play.

ive played more table settlers and some xbox, its still boring lol. and yes i know how to play lol.

I've been playing that game for years. It is a lot of fun. Personally my favorite expansion is Cities and Knights, but they all are excellent. I've never really liked playing the game online, it is just not the same experience as with a table of people.

I've never really liked playing the game online, it is just not the same experience as with a table of people.

I agree...
I like getting into the heads of my opponents. that is hard to do online.... *and a lot less effective* My friend owns Cities and Knights as well as Seafarers. He says that if you combine both of them it is a very intense game. I'm really looking forward to trying this type of combo.

Back